Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

S-Type Clock

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default S-Type Clock

Hi Guys,

Pretty much decided that i'm going to change the stock stereo for a Kenwood KDC-BT92SD single din headunit in my 2003 s-type.

Question is though (and this may influence my decission of head unit), as i'll be loosing the clock on the factory stereo and subsequently on the trip computer, can i run an aftermarket stereo feed to the trip display?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasnt aware that changing your stereo would effect or possibly effect your trip display at all.
I know you can buy a adapter to wire up your new head unit. I myself am about to be installing a double din unit that I bought with cd, dvd, sat nav, tv, clock, radio blue tooth ... heck it has everything but a kitchen kettle.

I am going to be removing all the old phone system out of the car.. the old Star tec one... because this stereo will do it all anyway. Plus i seen somewhere somone put another screen in that area, (I have a photo) that I can use to record my events whilst driving.

I am also installing head rest monitors, and maybe ... I do mean maybe a sub and amp along with upgraded speakers through out... but first comes all the basic stuff to sort my car out. So I will look further into this and get back to you bud. I am only in humberside Yorkshire... so we can bounce ideas around! PS the double din I am about to install is great and cheaper than that single unit from kenwood! will give details if you want!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi mate. There is method behind my madness for fitting the Kenwood single din. I have actually done the upgrade since posting (the results can be seen in the S-type forum). What I am eventually going to do is to install a in dash EOBD unit below the headunit. This will give me extra engine information.

As I need to retain boot space, I've fitted an Alpine SWE-1000 powered compact subwoofer in the boot. Door speakers are also next on the hit list but not sure which ones to go for. The pioneer 6x8s seem popular. But Kenwood, kicker and JBL also do similar spec, similar priced units.

I must admit that I looked at some of the double din units but the kenwood, alpine and pioneer ones that did what I wanted (bluetooth, ipod and sd) were ridicously expensive and because my car has the electric hand brake, I couldn't be bothered with messing about with relays to get the screen to work properly (to stop the unit locking when the handbrake is off).

The Kenwood Headie wasn't too bad cost wise, got it from www.dynamicsounds.co.uk.
£195 delivered. They also supplied the facia, wiring adaptor and aerial adaptor. Couldn't fault the service and will definatly use them if I can for the speakers.

After fitting the new headie, all I get when I skip through the trip commputer to the clock is --:--. That's ok as I have a permanant clock displayed on the new headie.

One thing I will say is that when you buy the facia, there is a very strong chance that the colour will not match the rest of the dash. I'm going to get round to spraying mine at somepoint but it looks ok.

All the best and if you need any help or advise, message me and I will try and help where I can

Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks bud for that advice... I appreciate it.. I havnt dont anything yet to mine.. still working around the car doing mechanical bits that I find.

the head unit is in the boot for monkeys sake... not even taken out.. the trim it came with it totally differant than what is in the car. I wish someone made a solid black bit of trim kit so I can cut and make my own up.. much easier.

anyway look forward to seeing these photos.