Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XJ8 Aftermarket Stereo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

If he is in Europe, it could very well be a 96 MY.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I did not consider that possibility Lew, thanks for mentioning it.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and thanks

XJ8 Aftermarket Stereo Installation-jag1.jpg XJ8 Aftermarket Stereo Installation-jag8.jpg XJ8 Aftermarket Stereo Installation-jag7.jpg XJ8 Aftermarket Stereo Installation-jag5.jpg XJ8 Aftermarket Stereo Installation-jag3.jpg

Hi Guys
Yes it is registered as Oct 96. I might be describing it wrong sorry about that. I don't have a manufacturers fitted Nav system in the 96 XK8. You are correct there is no wooden veneer on the radio/climate control center consul. I was wanting to remove the existing radio tape deck and fit the head unit like yours and if it was possible to remove the middle section of the wood veneered dash that has the 3 dials and two vents and replace it with a wood veneered panel from a later model XK8 that has a factory SAT NAV unit fitted. Obviously I would have to replace the whole wood veneered panel from one side to the other so that it matches. Just wanted to know if it can be done ie are the physical dimensions the same as the 1996 panel/dash wise. If this does not work I will have to settle far a all in one Kenwood with a flip up screen and touch control that has SAT NAV, Blue TOOTH and controlled from the steering wheel controls. I hopefully have managed to attach some photos, she soon will have the new type front bumper with mesh grill fitted, serviced, blow by test, water pump, Thermostat, tensioners, bonnet with vents and a new ICE fitted/done. She has done 110000 and I have just recently bought her from a really friendly and helpful chap in Kent who owns a car outlet, Leigh Clarke he has been a great help to me and will have all my little requests sorted out before I pick her up. Cheers Ken

Last edited by kmack46; 08-18-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:13 AM

Hi Morgai
Well done again on your efforts. Can you tell me what year your XK8 is please and would it take a double din insert do you think?

Ken

Last edited by kmack46; 08-18-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

beautiful car kmack, what happened to the front end? Did you get into a fender bender already?

Regarding you're question, wouldnt you like to keep your guages up there, isn't one of them a oil pressure? To answer your question, you could replace all of your veneer, but the addition of a nav screen and those panels will be expensive. You won't have a true navigation option via jaguar parts, but you could power the screen and use it for DVD playback and any other video need you might have, like my Garmin NAV unit that I installed.

If I were you, i'd remove the old deck, get a DVD/NAV/MP3 flip out screen unit (the kenwood i'm not familiar with, but would work, Im sure). A double-din will not fit. Any good car audio shop can get fabricate you a faceplate. If you like the way mine is flush when mounted, request that they take a little extra planning and do a recessed mounting plate, then make the trim piece as my guys did. Just be careful with the controls just above the deck and make sure the unit you choose can come out, flip back and not hit any of the controls (not to mention your gear shift) It may be tight, but I have seen that exact setup in our XK8s.

again, good luck!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Default Again Many Thanks

Hi
Many thanks to you and I think you are right I will go for the flip out Kenwood with Nav facility. I see one on the US ebay for $740 complete and brand new. The car was like that when I bought it and is getting repaired as we speak (or I hope so that is). I did get a good deal though!
Many thanks
Ken

Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

You bet Ken. Good luck. When she's fixed, get your member gallery started and show us the body work.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone ever run across a wiring harness adapter for the XJs? I have a 2000 XJ8 that I'll be installing a JVC KX-NXD505 single-din nav radio (non-pop-up) shortly and I'd really prefer to not hack the harnesses apart. So far my searching endeavors have proved fruitless.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Default Wiring Harness for XJ8

I believe they have the harness for your car, but not the fascia

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_f...its/jaguar.htm

Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Default 98 xj8 Fascia

I am too still looking for a fascia for an aftermarket stereo if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM

great job man!!!I am trying to install 2 din stereo in mine. how do i remove the original radio? does anyone know please help?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I have MY 2000 VDP any adapter harness? i see a couple on nexxia.co.uk but not sure if any will fit in my car?? about to install an alpine unit once i get everything figured out. thanks

EDIT:: it has the alpine premium sound

Last edited by stran0020; 05-23-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default About to embark on 98 XK8 Radio upgrade.

Thanks to the great info I've gleaned from this forum I now have the confidence to upgrade the standard factory radio in my 98 XK8. I've been using an Insignia HD Radio tuner Velcro'd to the dash and connected through a cassette adapter and a Motorola BT unit on the sun visor. I'm a bit tired of having to remember to switch these units on and off all the time and having to recharge them periodically although they have served me well in the time I've been using them.

So, I've chosen a single DIN Dual XHD7714 head unit that has built-in HD Radio, BT, USB, and CD ($134 @ Buy.com) with steering wheel control compatibility via a PAC SWI-PS interface unit ($42 on ebay). I also found a seller in the UK on ebay who is sending the plug-in wiring adapter for about $20 delivered. I could just hardwire, but the connector will let me do most of the connections on the bench and should make it a bit easier, less messy and more serviceable. The last item is a 12x12 piece of textured 1/8" black ABS plastic that I picked up at a local stereo shop (also available from Amazon) to create a fascia to surround the new unit.

The Dual XHD7714 is quite unique in that it's the only unit I've found that has both HDRadio and BT built in with no additional components required other than the steering wheel control unit. It has blue lighting to complement the rest of the IPC lighting so it should look OK. The price is outstanding too.

I expect everything to arrive in time to do the job next weekend and will post photos when it's done. If anyone has any tips on radio removal or any other tidbits to make the job go smoothly or prevent damage I'd love to hear them!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Veteran member

looking forward to the project details, don't forget to start a new thread, all by your lonesome for to document all your hard work and show off the final results.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:01 AM

>> I also found a seller in the UK on ebay who is sending the plug-in wiring adapter for about $20 delivered

Can you please share the details of the wiring adapter ?
thanks

Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Default Too new to view

Not enough posts to be allowed access how sad !

Old 09-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by k2man
>> I also found a seller in the UK on ebay who is sending the plug-in wiring adapter for about $20 delivered

Can you please share the details of the wiring adapter ?
thanks
Here's the link to the ebay listing which, as of this date, is still active. It's from Passion Automotive in the UK. It plugs into the Jaguar connector and has an ISO connector which you can cut off and attach to the leads of the connector furnished with your new unit if it doesn't use an ISO connector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1421wt_1199

Last edited by brobin; 09-11-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by brobin
Here's the link to the ebay listing which, as of this date, is still active. It's from Passion Automotive in the UK...
Thanks.
Here is it the link to his store for someone looking at it after the item expires
http://stores.ebay.com/caraudioinstallations

Old 09-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Default My first attempt at a face plate

I finally gave up on making a perfect face place. I need more experience at making plastic molds. I made this face plate gloss black instead of flat black like I should have. I think I'll buy a couple of radios off ebay and try again later. I got the trunk done nearly exactly like I wanted it minus the HD radio tuner.

I also have great sound. It's even better than my Cadillac Bose system. It seems like the Jag keeps the sound inside the car even with the roof open. I made a sealed sub out of a trash can I found at Target and an 8" Infinity speaker. I also replaced all of the door tweeters and speakers. I have three channels open for the back dash and I already have too much bass. I need two bass knobs for the amps, but if I lay one more wire into that Jag I'm going to lose my mind!

Any suggestions on making a single piece mount with a hard surface would be helpful. I would like a face place that is an exact match to the existing black plastic. Is it possible? Pictures are below.

This was my last "give up while ahead" attempt .

8" sealed sub - cost about $110 to make including the speaker.

I'm still working on the center channel. I have found that sealed surface mount enclosures are the only way to go for me since that hole is less than 2 inches deep in some places. I wish I could wrap them in leather that matches my interior.

Brake light mounted antenna...

Console with ipod and remote amp volt meter

Sat & Cap

Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Veteran member

diggin the project photos for sure! You went all out...and a remote volt meter, I assume running to your capacitor? Now that's detail. Looks great.

As for the color of the surround, i've mentioned using a mixture of cans... the camouflage black, the textured black, and auto-grade clear. After a few various combinations, I scored pretty close to the factory finish.

Quick Reply: XJ8 Aftermarket Stereo Installation