Northern NSW & SouthEast QLD InterRegional Meet, Ballina 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Brahlinski
I finish my hsc on the 24th of october (yes an xj40 sovereign is my first car) Would be awesome to have a meetup sometime maybe early November? Sydney people pls make some suggestions!
Hi Brahlinski, XJ40 for a first car, that is awesome!

Good to hear you are keen for a Sydney get together, posting in this thread your idea will get lost amongst the Ballina meet, if you go to the NSW forum and post a new thread putting "Proposed Sydney Meet" or something like that in the title box it will not get lost in this thread.

Northern NSW & SouthEast QLD InterRegional Meet, Ballina 2014-capture.jpg

Old 10-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by dea.cea1959
Hi Clarke
Probably drive up through Ebor. It is a nice drive & have a stop at Lismore,
Dave & Deb
Nice drive, last time I came that way from Armidale towing the camper to Dorrigo I nearly went straight through the T intersection at the Guyra-Ebor Rd because the fog was so heavy we missed the warning signs.(ABS is a godsend)
I had to go back and get pics of the signs I missed.

Northern NSW & SouthEast QLD InterRegional Meet, Ballina 2014-dsc_3741.jpgNorthern NSW & SouthEast QLD InterRegional Meet, Ballina 2014-dsc_3743.jpgNorthern NSW & SouthEast QLD InterRegional Meet, Ballina 2014-dsc_3749.jpg

We may be heading that way after Ballina to drop the mother in law back to Armidale and then head home up the New England H/way on the Monday.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I should be right for 19th.Get back from Tas about midday. Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by grandhaze:
cat_as_trophy (10-04-2014), o1xjr (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Growing list. 6 members confirmed.
1. cat_as _trophy (Ken) Coffs Harbour
2. o1xjr (Clarke & Kirsty) Brisbane
3. dea.cea1959 (Dave & Deb) Armidale
4. Stoney85 (Nick & Dad?) Bellingen
5. Mike Dean (Mike) Ballina
6.hazjag (Paul) Cobar
7.grandhaze (Paul) Lismore...Possible starter

Keep it up guys ,the numbers are growing.

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-03-2014 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (10-04-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hazjag (Paul) have convinced my wife to lend me the jag for the weekend so now a deffenet starter.

cat_as_trophy (10-04-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by hazjag
hazjag (Paul) have convinced my wife to lend me the jag for the weekend so now a deffenet starter.
That's good to hear Paul,see you on the Sunday.

If you are going to be in or around Ballina on the Saturday you should contact Mike, and Dave & Deb beforehand. Maybe you guys can do something on the Saturday.

JimC64 (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Lookin like a nice little meet event here......

Hope all goes well for you guys.

o1xjr (10-03-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Proposed interRegional meet at Ballina update

Hi all.
Wonderful to see the growing response to The Northern Rivers Ballina event on Oct 19 .
I have to say that as a senior, trying to figure out how to negotiate the Jaguar Forums web site as a newbie has definitely stalled the onset of Alzheimer's for a while? Please simplify the ability to respond to threads without having to negotiate through a minefield.
I have had at least 10 returned messages over the past couple of weeks. Hopefully this one will get through?

When I was in marketing, the" KISS" principle was #1.

On the hope that this gets through to all involved, I have another couple of suggestions for the weekend!

We could meet at the Ballina RSL and book a table over, and I mean over, the beautiful Richmond River for a meal.
We could present the beautiful Cats along Fawcett Park adjoining, which would be seen by the weekend visitors.
The RSL cuisine, either in the multi National award winning restaurant or the downstairs buffet is excellent.
The Cats can be watched over as we relax and the photo op is perfect as the location is in the centre of Ballina. ( literally).

As an aside, I was part of "Ballina Alive" for 8 years from 2000 where we hosted the F1 Powerboat series, amongst many other water events, and we were voted as the #1 venue in Australia.

As an alternative , and still in the riverfront Fawcett Park area, there is a superb waterfront restaurant right at the wharf, which has been recently refurbished and well worth considering?

On the other end of Fawcett Park is the Ramada Hotel (4.5 stars), equally as beautiful, and the end point for the Jaguar Club a few years ago. Superb restaurant and a honeymoon weekend to book into in the middle of everything!

If you wish, I can arrange pre publicity through the Northern Star, some press release of the occasion and also have Radio exposure through Paradise FM.

Time is short, and answers are needed. Lets make this a memorable and recurring event.

Mike

The following 4 users liked this post by Mike Dean:
benrussell (10-17-2014), cat_as_trophy (10-04-2014), JimC64 (10-04-2014), o1xjr (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Superb Mike, top class.

Sorry to hear you are having issues negotiating the site, it really is pretty easy

Please check below....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...2A%2A%2A-5912/

Hope it helps

Jim

Old 10-04-2014, 05:21 PM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the ideas, I will PM all the members attending so far and ask them to read your post and give feedback. I for one think the RSL overlooking the River sounds more laid back and less formal.

Time is short, and answers are needed. Lets make this a memorable and recurring event.
I was thinking along the same lines with the amount of interest we have had. I was going to bring this up when we got together,but now is a good time.
Making the event an annual meet and moving it towards June(perfect winter days) during a weekend in middle of school term as we all have children or grandchildren that need our attention in the school holidays. It would also move it away from the Sydney and Brisbane All British Days that are both spring events.
And move it around the Northern Rivers Between Tweed and Coffs Harbour and Armidale, this way we get to see a different town each time,allowing members to show off their home towns. Unless we all want return to Ballina next time.

If you wish, I can arrange pre publicity through the Northern Star, some press release of the occasion and also have Radio exposure through Paradise FM
Any kind of publicty for the Forums is great.

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-04-2014 at 05:48 PM.
JimC64 (10-04-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Greetings to all . . . sorry I was again absent when the pot started to boil.

Clarke; many thanks for pushing ahead as others posted in. As anticipated by Mike, I had always seen this interRegional meet as a forerunner of an ongoing yearly event, but like you, wanted to air this from the hoped for enthusiasm flowing out of a successful initial event. I see your logic in scheduling into winter - but that can be resolved further from our initial meet.

Mike; Many thanks and congrats on all your ideas and action. After initial difficulties reaching you, then via PM, you are certainly hitting the nail on the head. I agree with informality of RSL lunch, and with Cats lined up in Fawcett Park (JF banner prominent?). Great if you can organize media coverage. This, together with our own pics, justifies a first class scenic backdrop. Suggest you post some details to help guide traveling members. Kick off time(say 11am?) Pics and media; then lunch at say 1pm; then depart Ballina say 3-4pm according to travel needs.

Mike, I will PM you to help navigate about the Jaguar Forums and provide some tips on posting, attachments, including pics etc. Apart from Search Tools which has its own Main Menu Bar heading, most options can be accessed via Manage Attachments which is located below the window in which you compose a post or reply, or via the User CP heading at left end of menu bar. Jim has provided a link which further clarifies.

Nick; I will PM you tomorrow to arrange our pre-trip catchup next Sunday (12th). Is Dad able to come? . . . and will we have time for a brief look-see over your 5 car Cattery?

Dave & Deb; how great that we will meet at last. I still have not plunged into getting an X-Type to replace Chris' funky yellow Honda. Love the idea of a 2.1 FWD around town . . . our TTD S-Type not happiest in the stop-start inner city traffic that brings Coffs Harbour to a standstill. What? Never happens in Coffs? Nah . . . Chris didn't go much on that persuasive argument either.

Our 2 Pauls; [hazjag] from Cobar and [grandhaze] from Lismore . . . so great to have you joining in. Please note I have updated our NSW&ACT mebership list (Roll Call Sticky at top of our regional forum) with your details. HUGE welcomes all around . . . and please check and advise if needing amendment.

So, to all starters, time to break out that new pack of polish and leather dressing. I hear that Clarke has banished Miss Fireball to the garage until the big day, for fear of picking up any dirt or blemish . . . so I had best get to work on mine.

Best wishes all,
Ken

o1xjr (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
I hear that Clarke has banished Miss Fireball to the garage until the big day, for fear of picking up any dirt or blemish . . . so I had best get to work on mine.

Best wishes all,
Ken
Had to move it outside this morning to replace the water pump on the old Jeep for the new owner.(I'm a fool for offering since it failed after he took delivery)

Hopefully we should see some plans coming together in the next few days, the times you suggest for the day work for me. That makes it a 8.30-9 am departure from home and departing Ballina at 3-4pm gets us home early enough to see the Australian Moto GP (oh and feed the kids)that will be recording while we are talking Jags.

edit 8 pm, tucked away again for Ballina.
Northern NSW & SouthEast QLD InterRegional Meet, Ballina 2014-dsc_0859.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-06-2014 at 04:59 AM. Reason: feed the kids
cat_as_trophy (10-05-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Default Ballina meet will be a sure fire success

Congrats to Mike for all his behind the scenes work . . . much of it communicated via PM but about to be revealed . . . everything from a superb riverside public display lineup; Jaguar Forums Banner; photo op backdrop; and media attention to publicize the event.

For all those lucky to be attending - from Cobar in the west; Armidale; Bellingen; Coffs Harbour; Lismore; Ballina; Gold Coast; Brisbane and elsewhere - we all offer our sincere thanks to Mike Dean for all his efforts in turning a small idea into a BIG reality.

Sunday 19th October 2014 . . . Can't wait . . .

Ken

JimC64 (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Lookin good!

Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 AM

I hear that Clarke has banished Miss Fireball to the garage until the big day, for fear of picking up any dirt or blemish . . . so I had best get to work on mine.

Best wishes all,
Ken
Got up at 5am today to go to work. Jacket,helmet and gloves on I entered the garage and walked past the Bonneville and took off my riding gear and the cover off the car and drove it to work. Had to drive it.
Had to run out to Hydaulink today to pick up some hose so I took the XJ6 instead of the work truck. When I came out 3 of the young guys who work there(long haired,tatood types) were looking in the windows, now it smells of cigarette smoke.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hi All

Weather along North Coast NSW a bit iffy for this w/e, but apparently warming and clearing early next week for an expected long spell of bright clear and sunny days.

Clarke; any further starters likely to be roused from the Gold Coast or border areas? I'm loathe to intrude because I think you PM'd widely throughout SEQ as I did here in Northern NSW

Growing list. 7 members confirmed . . .

1. cat_as _trophy (Ken) Coffs Harbour
2. o1xjr (Clarke & Kirsty) Brisbane
3. dea.cea1959 (Dave & Deb) Armidale
4. Stoney85 (Nick & Dad, Pete) Bellingen
5. Mike Dean (Mike) Ballina
6.hazjag (Paul) Cobar
7.grandhaze (Paul) Lismore

Mike is working away to secure a superb riverside park setting in full public view at the major entry point into Ballina - great backdrop setting for pics and media coverage. Luncheon looks to be an excellent sit and chat at reasonable club prices at local RSL overlooking the park.

Clarke is traveling down with the JaguarForums banner secured in the now fire-rated compartment he has fitted in the rear end of his XJ - not to be confused with the "boot" we lesser mortals are provided with . . . LOL.

As a further bonus, I'm planning to bring a few "show & tell" items for you to have a play with on the day . . .
  • a genuine 1960s S Type Jaguar Workshop Manual; not longer required;
  • Nigel Thorley's Buyer's Guides to the (1) X-Type and (2) S-Type;
  • Optical disc based PDF based JTIS workshop manuals, wiring diagrams etc for (1) all X-Types and (2) all S-Types;
  • U581 generic and the brand new V138 Mangoose PRO OBDII tools - the latter installed and ready to roll on a laptop PC for almost all 1999-2014 Jaguars and 2005-2014 Rovers & Land Rovers.
Ten days to go! Don't miss it.

Ken

Old 10-08-2014, 11:37 PM

Clarke; any further starters likely to be roused from the Gold Coast or border areas? I'm loathe to intrude because I think you PM'd widely throughout SEQ as I did here in Northern NSW

Ken
No more takers at this stage, I'll be the lone Queenslander in the mix.

I PM'd all known members in the area a couple of times referring to this day and the Sunshine Coast the following Sunday. They have had plenty of opportunity to respond, I don't want to bombard them with unnecessary PM's and put them off reading about the next meet that comes up.

JimC64 (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update on Ballina meet Sunday Oct 19th.

Hi all,

I have spoken with the manager of Paradise FM, ( FM101.9, "Best Music of All Time") Jenny Ellenbrauk, who would be happy to provide some publicity for the Forum. (Could the moderators please contact her on 02-6686-0101, or 0419-787-094) to provide details?

The Northern Rivers Ballina Advocate should also provide segment and photos.
Graham Broadhead, 02-6686-0022, or 0427-456-155.

The Ballina RSL which is located directly on the river adjacent to Fawcett Park where the cars will be shown, have agreed to provide a perfect table overlooking the boardwalk for up to 15 people for a buffet lunch at 1pm.

Update on XJ12 fuel woes? The fuel system has been checked thoroughly, Solenoids, valves, TCS, pressures, filters,hoses, air leaks etc. and all are perfect. Comments are that it seems that the injectors are not opening properly to allow any acceleration from idle. Perhaps an electric or computer failure? Anyway, fingers crossed that we can be up and running in time for a thorough detail by 19th. otherwise photos will have to do.
Any advice would be most welcome.

There will be one more attendee from Byron Bay who has a 2005 XJ8 Sport 4.2. Saphire Blue and in lovely condition. He has the car up for sale (24,500) as he is awaiting delivery of an XF ( his 7th. Jag.)
Unfortunately he neither has a cell phone or a computer so the only contact is via his home phone .

Looking forward to a great day/weekend on 19th.

Mike Dean, 1985 XJ12 Sovereign.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Default Media liaison ... Ballina meet

Hi Mike and all,

Sorry once again for my absence. I will PM you my phone numbers to avoid loss of contact in future when I simple cannot get to JF every day.

I will be delighted to contact both your media contacts tomorrow (Monday) and provide them with background details - but also, along with Clarke and yourself (you OK with this?), to meet with media on the day . . .
  • opportunity for pics of cars and people in superb setting;
  • Ken to take the lead - Jaguar in Australia, JagForums community;
  • Clarke - the perspective of a recent Jaguar owner, value of JF;
  • Mike - meet as a drawcard to push local and regional tourism.
My experience is that regional media are always on the lookout for catchy stories that not only capture public attention, but help promote the self-interest of tourism and local economy - ie on the one hand we have these gorgeous sleek Jaguars that the local public can view on display, but also with local help, we can grow this into an annual event - whether in Ballina or elsewhere in this region.

Must fly now, but I will PM Mike immediately.
Best wishes all . . . see you next Sunday,
Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
JimC64 (10-12-2014), o1xjr (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 PM

I will be delighted to contact both your media contacts tomorrow (Monday) and provide them with background details - but also, along with Clarke and yourself (you OK with this?), to meet with media on the day . . .

Thanks Ken,
I was hoping you would drop by and volunteer to make the calls. I had planned to do it Monday if you were unavailable. Was going to be difficult for me as I am working 12 hours tomorrow and I don't use my phone during work hours.
Just sitting back with feet up for day watching 161 laps of Bathurst.

Do we have an address for the actual meeting place? I have found the RSL and Fawcett park on the map,but directions to an actual meeting place would be good.

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-12-2014 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Northern NSW & SouthEast QLD InterRegional Meet, Ballina 2014