Series 3 Bonnet Lining . . . .any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series 3 Bonnet Lining . . . .any interest?

I'm currently discussing with a manufacturer the pressing of a run of series 3 bonnet linings and would like to see how much interest there is. At present, the basic concept is as follows:

- precast foam similar to most modern cars - probably about 10mm to 15mm thick
- would not require gluing to the bonnet but would be a 1 piece fit with the 3 retaining spritenuts as in the original (referring to the larger section)
- at this time still investigating whether the contours are economically feasible - if they are. . . great. . . otherwise will be flat without contours and will fit into sides of bonnet as per original
- price, still very uncertain, would be around AUD$150 - to AUD$250 (US$130 - US$220 or EU105 - EU175). As always postage may be expensive but seems to be cheaper out of Australia than say the UK.

Whilst not the original, (unfortunately, sigh), I expect it to look very professional and the closest to an original, even without the contours.

So I guess, leave a reply if you may be interested albeit sight unseen.

Cheers

Old 11-20-2014, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

just responding to provide some feedback rather than being a silent reader

would have been interested a few months ago, but replaced mine with an 8mm neoprene (thick wetsuit) liner with a black woven lining. Had good results with this on another car.

So, interest was there but just a timing issue. Good luck with the group buy, hope you can put something together.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Not just a bump! Great initiative scuzzie . . . so just to help it along . . .

Suggest you post also into the model specific forum sections if you haven't yet done so, and try to determine if your pool of prospective purchasers can be widened . . . ie could it be used on any other MYs. XJs are not my speciality, so I'm groping a bit, but is the S3 uniquely different to S2 and S!. Where lie the Sovs? Like any other group buying, the key seems to lie in reaching as many possibles in what may otherwise be a very limited market.

Suggest also you discuss with Clarke . . . I know he's S1, but he's so connected into the wider scene, he may have some good advice to offer. I do wish you well mate.

Best wishes,
Ken

Old 03-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Scuzzie.
WOUld be interested if they fit series2 as well, i have no clips that i can see so would be a glue job. i think the bonnets on series 1.2 and 3 are the same, but i may be wrong, great idea,congrats.
Darrell