what does this XJS look like on paper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
I always said the yellow one was the best. Got 5 minute look at it today(no close inspection of interior or underside(Mrs only home and didn't really want me there). But a car I would pawn my youngest for. Worth your time to look.

1980 Jaguar XJS Coupe | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Brisbane North East - New Farm | 1043921642

I want to buy an S type for my wife next year but ..... this is a nice looking car.
And as far as yellow goes ,it grows on you.
Attachment 90962
Hi Clarke

Been out all evening with the GF top down on the XJS trying to outrun a Thunderstorm, one of the most spirited drives I've had for quite sometime.

Rolling Thunder, Lightning, it was really exciting! and lots of opportunity to test out 2nd gear auto, for overtaking Trucks.

(note to Greg in France), 'You certainly were not kidding!

He will know what I mean.

There's just no stopping that thing, the power pours on like double cream in a way that words cannot describe, I simply cannot wait for Paul to get one and having taken a very close look at those photos.

The 'Yellow One' looks a Winner all the way!

I've never seen a garage floor like that in all my life, it looks like glass and that Car looks immaculate and pampered inside and out.

Even at the asking price it does look a bit of a bargain and reckon that Paul could easily nick it for $10,000.

Every time I look at it, the Yellow is growing on me more and more, so together with your inspection, however brief it may have been, as you know your Cars.

I reckon this one has Paul's name on it.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

heh thanks for Checking it out Clarke! Legend.

Yeah the description did sound good on paper. So you think the yellow looks alright up close eh?

I think i saw another yellow one once when i was looking in a car mag, but Im pretty sure it was in another state. Oh so the seller wasnt home just the wife? New Farm right? Near the Valley?

Mate thanks so much for your help. So the 1980 was pre HE years right? Other than being less efficent on fuel (which we were chatting about,not too worried) any other concerns for pre HE?

orangeblossom (07-19-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

The 'Yellow One' looks a Winner all the way!

I've never seen a garage floor like that in all my life, it looks like glass and that Car looks immaculate and pampered inside and out.

Even at the asking price it does look a bit of a bargain and reckon that Paul could easily nick it for $10,000.

Every time I look at it, the Yellow is growing on me more and more, so together with your inspection, however brief it may have been, as you know your Cars.

I reckon this one has Paul's name on it.
Originally Posted by paulyling
heh thanks for Checking it out Clarke! Legend.

Yeah the description did sound good on paper. So you think the yellow looks alright up close eh?

I think i saw another yellow one once when i was looking in a car mag, but Im pretty sure it was in another state. Oh so the seller wasnt home just the wife? New Farm right? Near the Valley?

Mate thanks so much for your help. So the 1980 was pre HE years right? Other than being less efficent on fuel (which we were chatting about,not too worried) any other concerns for pre HE?
Yep, just the wife,mother. Could be either. No keys available so just a walk by theory here.
Good looking car,if it has rust repairs they are hard to spot. But it hasn't been resprayed,I would say original paint. Maybe been touched up a bit over the years,if so a good job has been done.
The yellow looks great in person,bumpers could do with a clean up. Never had a car with black rubber/plastic bumpers so I don't know what is involved there.
As for details about models and years,I have no idea with XJS's. But plenty of XJS guys here to advise you on that.
If you could get down to 10k it would be a steal. Pretty good chance of that,it has been listed in this add for 6 weeks. And probably previously as well if they sit around as long as XJ6's do. I got mine 7 months ago and most I looked at are still for sale.
Would have loved a closer look but it was Friday afternoon and I was in the area so gave him a call,seller very apologetic about the timing.

Yes,New Farm is basically the Valley. 5 minutes from city centre

Here is a clip of another members(xjsv12) yellow xjs in action.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...%20-%20YouTube

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-18-2014 at 07:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (07-19-2014), paulyling (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 PM

thanks Clarke again. Sounds good.

Sorry bud cant see the clip as they block You Tube on the rig and its so damn slow anyway!

So the bumpers were black plastic eh? No chrome in the bumpers?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

thanks Clarke again. Sounds good.

Sorry bud cant see the clip as they block You Tube on the rig and its so damn slow anyway!

So the bumpers were black plastic eh? No chrome in the bumpers?
Hi Paul

From a personal viewpoint, this Car looks Amazing without any Chromium bumpers because of the Stark Contrast that you get with Black on Yellow, which may not work with so well with some other Combos.

All I can say is that it is a very good job that you can't see the Video that Clarke was very kind enough to put up, or you would be jumping on that Plane right now!

I've literally watched it dozens of times and it isn't over yet! I just cannot take my eyes off it!

If I ever see a Yellow one, then it will be game over, I will have to have it no matter what.

I'm not sure if its Pre-He which really is the only thing that would put me off, as the price of Gas in the UK is Crazy.

But if Gas is so Cheap in OZ then that may not be as much of a problem for You as it would be for me, as a V12 drinks like a fish as you will find out.

Even from thousands of miles away, the clues are there that this Car has been well looked after, just look at awesome garage floor the like of which I've never ever seen.

When I first looked at the photos, it looked like something you would expect to see in a dealers showroom, so to my mind it sends a message that the owner looked after this Car.

You absolutely have to see that Video 'end of story' Can't you pick up Youtube on your smartphone or jump on board a Tug or a Supply Ship?

If you have a word with the 'Techies' on board, then they may be able to work the magic.

Just can't wait till you get one of these, so keeping my fingers crossed for you.

paulyling (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 04:28 AM

1.If I ever see a Yellow one, then it will be game over, I will have to have it no matter what.

2.I'm not sure if its Pre-He which really is the only thing that would put me off, as the price of Gas in the UK is Crazy.

3.But if Gas is so Cheap in OZ then that may not be as much of a problem for You as it would be for me, as a V12 drinks like a fish as you will find out.
1. I'm too scared to go have another look in case it ends up parked on the street behind the XJ6.

2.I will send the seller a message to see if it is pre-HE ( and call on Grant Francis to see if he can help here)

3.I don't think fuel is cheap here,we just paid $1.76/L to fill a mates boat today with 95 octane.

I have a good mate with a yellow Triumph Stag,it is an awesome looking car.

link to "the yellow one" below for any new comers to the thread.
1980 Jaguar XJS Coupe | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Brisbane North East - New Farm | 1043921642

what does this XJS look like on paper?-%24_20.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-%24_20-1-.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-19-2014 at 05:02 AM.
orangeblossom (07-19-2014), paulyling (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 AM

Ok im starting to get excited! The more I look at it and talk to you blokes the more im converting to yellow. You see, when I first thought of an XJS i was real turned on by the dark paint jobs, but yeah, yellow is a little different.

How bouts we call him Mellow Yellow for future disscusions lol!

Lol OG...I am the "techie"on board! I think im gonna spend some time getting around to you tube

Old 07-19-2014, 06:03 AM

Ok im starting to get excited! The more I look at it and talk to you blokes the more im converting to yellow. You see, when I first thought of an XJS i was real turned on by the dark paint jobs, but yeah, yellow is a little different.

Lol OG...I am the "techie"on board! I think im gonna spend some time getting around to you tube
Hi Paul, after referring the "is it Pre-HE/HE" question to our local XJS guru,Grant Francis he has raised some valid points in a PM to me. I will forward his reply to you if he gives me the go ahead to do so,or I will otherwise raise the issues here that he has pointed out.
If Grant doesn't know the answer to an XJS question I would be surprised.

orangeblossom (07-19-2014), paulyling (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

I was exactly the same as yourself being well into dark Colours but not anymore! I want a 'Mellow Yellow' one and I want one now!

If you look at that You Tube Video, you won't sleep for a week! So I really think you need to get your A** back here right now!

paulyling (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

1. I'm too scared to go have another look in case it ends up parked on the street behind the XJ6.

2.I will send the seller a message to see if it is pre-HE ( and call on Grant Francis to see if he can help here)

3.I don't think fuel is cheap here,we just paid $1.76/L to fill a mates boat today with 95 octane.

I have a good mate with a yellow Triumph Stag,it is an awesome looking car.

link to "the yellow one" below for any new comers to the thread.

Attachment 91022Attachment 91023
Hi Clarke

I've just watched that Video, for the umpteenth time and not sure I could stand to watch it again!

As its really doing my head in but in a good way!

paulyling (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Default Hold The Front Page!

heh guys

just found this XJS up the road from my house:

1985 JAGUAR XJS H.E. in PELICAN WATERS QLD FOR SALE - Autotrader.com.au

The 1985 seems a pretty popular year.

Im a potential buyer at the moment but i am still learning.

what do you guys think this looks like on paper? Of course the only way to really know is to take a look.

Just be interested in you more experienced guys opinions

cheers
Hi Paul

Remember that 'Fern Coloured' Green XJS with that blinkin awful spoiler, that was being advertised on Gumtree.

Well having had a good look round, I've found it Advertised on Auto Trader, only this time with more photos!

So having looked at Her afresh, I really think that She has the 'WOW' factor!

As for starters She is a 1985 HE In my all time Favorite Colour which I think is called 'Jade Green'

From my own personal viewpoint, as that 'Spoiler' kills the look of this Car, it could actually work in your favor to bargain down the price.

As in every other respect She looks a tidy Car in good condition with no visible signs of any rust.

If that spoiler is bolted on, as I would think it is, then a quick fix would be to remove it (purists look away now!) and put rubber plugs in the holes, until you can get a body shop to do it properly.

Then Bang on a Set of Lattice, which would instantly transform her into a beautiful car!

If She checks out and you wanted her, then what I would do is to turn up with $9,000 in Cash pointing out how much it would cost to remove the spoiler and replace the wheels etc + the running costs.

Then if you have to go to a take it or leave it offer of $10,000 and seeing that this kind of Car is difficult to sell because of the insane amount of Petrol that they use. (I'm up to £300 in Petrol this week as its Sunny!)

I very much think there is a good chance the Vendor would bite your hand off at the wrist!

Then spend a little of what you have saved, turning this not so ugly duckling into a beautiful Swan!

1985 JAGUAR XJS H.E. in BANKSIA BEACH QLD FOR SALE - Autotrader.com.au

She looks a bit of a potential 'Cream Puff', what do you think Clarke?

I never knew Australians drove on the Left like we do in the UK!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-19-2014 at 05:30 PM.
paulyling (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 PM

But I do keep checking to see if the yellow one has sold,It has nicer wheels and no stupid looking wing on the back.

From what I have seen they should all be there in 4 weeks.

Attachment 90532
Originally Posted by GGG
This has to be in the competition for the most inappropriate modification.

Attachment 90704

Graham
That spoiler will have to go,and different wheels.

Hi Paul

Remember that 'Fern Coloured' Green XJS with that blinkin awful spoiler, that was being advertised on Gumtree.

Well having had a good look round, I've found it Advertised on Auto Trader, only this time with more photos!

So having looked at Her afresh, I really think that She has the 'WOW' factor!

As for starters She is a 1985 HE In my all time Favorite Colour which I think is called 'Jade Green'

From my own personal viewpoint, as that 'Spoiler' kills the look of this Car, it could actually work in your favor to bargain down the price.

As in every other respect She looks a tidy Car in good condition with no visible signs of any rust.

If that spoiler is bolted on, as I would think it is, then a quick fix would be to remove it (purists look away now!) and put rubber plugs in the holes, until you can get a body shop to do it properly.

Then Bang on a Set of Lattice, which would instantly transform her into a beautiful car!

If She checks out and you wanted her, then what I would do is to turn up with $9,000 in Cash pointing out how much it would cost to remove the spoiler and replace the wheels etc + the running costs.

Then if you have to go to a take it or leave it offer of $10,000 and seeing that this kind of Car is difficult to sell because of the insane amount of Petrol that they use. (I'm up to £300 in Petrol this week as its Sunny!)

I very much think there is a good chance the Vendor would bite your hand off at the wrist!

Then spend a little of what you have saved, turning this not so ugly duckling into a beautiful Swan!

1985 JAGUAR XJS H.E. in BANKSIA BEACH QLD FOR SALE - Autotrader.com.au

She looks a bit of a potential 'Cream Puff', what do you think Clarke?

I never knew Australians drove on the Left like we do in the UK!
I Certainly would be having a good look at this one,better pics on the autotrader add.

Yeh, we also drive on the proper side of the road.

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-19-2014 at 06:53 PM.
orangeblossom (07-20-2014), paulyling (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Default Mellow Yellow is HE!

Hello Clarke,
The car is over at Brian Turners workshop at Alderley as it developed a cold start problem which we are sorting out so I can only get access during working hours.
The car is pre HE however at great expense I had a HE motor installed approximately three years ago by Brian Turner and at that time we went right through the mechanicals replacing the transmission and removing and restoring the diff and rear end and recoring the the radiator.
All up I spent a bit over $20k.
I have owned the car for 26 years and we no longer have space for it in our new house, In fact my new car sits out in the street whilst the Jag sits in the garage.
I can either give you a call when the car is back here at New Farm or I can meet you at Alderley during the week, which ever suits you.
Regards,
Rex King.
Paul, I tried to line up a good look over the car for today.
So it Is still worth considering with the mechanical work mentioned, I know Brian Turner is a very reputable workshop from other people I know who have used them.

orangeblossom (07-20-2014), paulyling (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 07:46 PM

Heh Guys

Might put Mellow Yellow on hold for the time being. I have another prospect.

Many thanks to Clarke and Grant on this one:

1985 Jaguar XJS

My first question (being the beginner), is : were all 1985 models HE? (I thought after a certain year they were)

The reason I asked is I have seen other 85 models with the HE badge on the bonnet (as per picture below of the Fern Green fellow), however this one does not. Althought I must say i prefer the V12 badge.

sorry....beginner questions i know...

Attached Thumbnails what does this XJS look like on paper?-he.jpg  
orangeblossom (07-20-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 PM

wow! arhhh!! so many options and I am i the middle of the bloody ocean! lol

Clarke thanks again. Wow, so Mellow Yellow is HE after all. Would of been worth putting in the ad i would of thought.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM

Heh guys

I snuck a peak at this before I caught the plane Tuesday arvo. Its just down the road from my house. The owner didnt come out (it was on the front lawn), and i really dont have the knowledge yet, but couldnt resist.

So...

I noticed some areas of rust, that even my untrained eye could pick up. Found painted over little bits (not too much) on the bonnet underneath the license plate. Also found some around most edges inside the wheels near where the mud flaps would go.

I am not sure what to expect rust wise for a car this age (1987) so didnt really know what to expect.

Just curious as to know what i should realistically expect. None? A little in certain common places? What do you think?

Also he is asking $17k for it as it is advertised as the rarer manual straight 6 version. I guess that would have to be the first one i have seen of that variety.

Also i noticed in his front yard he has like 4 XJS in total! I am surprised he isnt on this forum! (maybe he is) I gotta strike up a conversation with this Gent as it would be great having somebody down the road like that.

1987 Jaguar XJS Cars For Sale in QLD - CarPoint Australia

Other than that i was in a bit of a rush to the airport so didnt check for rust near the rear windshield as some of you guys recommend. it was my unoffical inspection anyway lol!

Still it got me excited for shopping when im back from work

Originally Posted by GGG
A confusing Ad. It shows 3-Speed Auto with V12 5.3 litre and lower down the description has Manual with 6-cylinder 3.6 litre.

Attachment 90773

Graham
I think what may have happened with the add is the seller has used the template from a previous car he has sold if he has 4 XJS's in his yard. Going by the pics in the add is for a 3.6 manual.If indeed it is the car for sale.
what does this XJS look like on paper?-cp5128584121053921705.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-cp5469357486504457541.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-cp5650089460674876740.jpg

Paul, Just out of interest I sent an enquiry to the seller,got 4 days off. Then another 7 next week. If it works out I will go for a ride to have a look(or maybe take the "entry level" XJ6 to look more like a serious buyer).
Then you can compare your impression with mine of the same car.
3 days,no reply from seller
Today was the prefect Queensland day for a run up the Samford Valley to Mt Mee,then on to Woodford,Glass House Mountains etc,etc(scenic route) to the Sunny Coast to check out a Jaguar. Instead I got to fill the XJ6 boot with bags of potting mix and seedlings for my 7 days off project this week,herb garden.
I noticed the car has a TMR(Transport & main roads) "LO-1" modification plate attached which means the car is an import,therefore probably a UK car as it is RHD. And as that you noted quite a few rust patches I would be inclined to steer clear of it from what I have read on these forums from UK owners. And at $17k there are many more around the $10-$13K mark that are Australian delivered from new.
what does this XJS look like on paper?-cp4789981413339696638.jpg
"LO-1" is an inspection process to make sure your car meets all ADR's(Australian design rules) before you can register it for road use in Queensland. And some people issuing these plates are not as stringent in their inspections as others.
In my opinion this car could easily be crossed off your shopping list,although the contact would be good if he lives near your street. I would certainly strike a conversation with the guy as all contacts are valuable.

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-20-2014 at 02:11 AM.
orangeblossom (07-20-2014), paulyling (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 02:52 AM

thanks Clarke that is wise Counsel. Yes i thought he was a little overpriced but then considered maybe the 6 cylinder manual is a little rarer. However yeah, I think one to steer clear of. Unfortunately there was a convienience factor as I can literally walk to his house lol!

oh btw. I have taken that drive myself a few times. Love it. I used to live in Petrie and go Dayboro, Mount Mee, Glasshouse. Beautiful driving.

The following 2 users liked this post by paulyling:
o1xjr (07-20-2014), orangeblossom (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 03:11 AM

t
oh btw. I have taken that drive myself a few times. Love it. I used to live in Petrie and go Dayboro, Mount Mee, Glasshouse. Beautiful driving.
Great bike roads,but if I must force myself to do it in a car the Jaguar is the weapon of choice.

orangeblossom (07-20-2014), paulyling (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member

heh guys

just found this XJS up the road from my house:

1985 JAGUAR XJS H.E. in PELICAN WATERS QLD FOR SALE - Autotrader.com.au

The 1985 seems a pretty popular year.

Im a potential buyer at the moment but i am still learning.

what do you guys think this looks like on paper? Of course the only way to really know is to take a look.

Just be interested in you more experienced guys opinions

cheers
Hi Paul

Deep down I am still in Love with 'Fern' the 'Jade Green XJS'

As for the White Manual, I would leave that well alone, as Rare Manual it maybe but with this type of luxury sports car, the option of choice is always going to be an automatic.

XJS Production 1975-1996

Pre HE: 1975-1980

HE: 1981-1990

Facelift: 1991-1996

Wear on the seats is a very big clue, as to whether or not a car has had a hard life, and would also steer away from anything with a high mileage, even though that engine could probably go around the clock a few times.

Providing its been well Serviced.

Don't feel under pressure from any help and advice you are getting on here, as buying your first XJS is quite a big decision and if you can find a better car, go for it! As after all its your money you're spending.

We are only here to give or get help and many of us have been in the place you are now.

P.S. It looks like 'Mellow Yellow' has the Original 'Kent Alloys' for that year of production, though they are not personal favorites of mine.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-20-2014 at 03:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
o1xjr (07-20-2014), paulyling (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the advice OG.

Yeah Jade green seems ok but yeah that bloody spoiler!

Mellow Yellow is starting to warm on me greatly (especially now it is HE) however the new contender from South Australia (car name pending) has got me excited too.

Agreed I will give whitey the flick!

Quick Reply: what does this XJS look like on paper?