what does this XJS look like on paper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:04 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts
Default what does this XJS look like on paper?

heh guys

just found this XJS up the road from my house:

1985 JAGUAR XJS H.E. in PELICAN WATERS QLD FOR SALE - Autotrader.com.au

The 1985 seems a pretty popular year.

Im a potential buyer at the moment but i am still learning.

what do you guys think this looks like on paper? Of course the only way to really know is to take a look.

Just be interested in you more experienced guys opinions

cheers

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I don't know much about XJS's, it looks like it has Victorian rego though.
And a small dent below the left indicator,other than that it looks nice.Maybe you ask the seller for some sharper picture. Thats about as much as I can help with an XJS.

This thread might be better in the XJS forum. Maybe a Moderator will see it and move it for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (07-14-2014), paulyling (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 03:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I've had a slap on the wrist before from Australian members for not appreciating just how big your country is so I checked the location before posting.

what does this XJS look like on paper?-pelican-waters.jpg

Less than 10Km. You could walk over to see it!

It's a grainy photo which doesn't give much away. You're unlikely to find another this close so it has to be worth a look.

The ad states 'always well maintained'. There should be records available to confirm this. Take your camera and post back with some detailed photos of bodywork and interior. Posting in the XJS forum should get wider input from members with the same vehicle.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
orangeblossom (07-14-2014), paulyling (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 04:45 AM

thanks again guys. Only really got tomorrow and then ill be out of the country for 4 weeks (work)

bugger. only just saw it today too. Hope she's there when i get back in a month lol! Anways, it looks like there is a fair few XJS on offer in QLD.

thanks again guys

Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 AM
Default Gumtree

Here are two very close to you, I have had them both on my watch list in Gumtree for a while...not that I'm looking for an XJS,just learning the market with all older Jags around Brisbane. But I do keep checking to see if the yellow one has sold,It has nicer wheels and no stupid looking wing on the back.
1980 Jaguar XJS Coupe | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Brisbane North East - New Farm | 1043921642
1985 Jaguar XJS Coupe | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Caboolture Area - Bellara | 1047352604

From what I have seen they should all be there in 4 weeks.

what does this XJS look like on paper?-gumtree.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-13-2014 at 06:15 AM.
orangeblossom (07-14-2014), paulyling (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 06:28 AM

Thanks again

Yeah the yellow seems ok but its the color that gets me lol! Sounds like its been well looked after.

The one in the 85 model in green though looks nice. If he is there when I get back ill take a look

Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
heh guys

what do you guys think this looks like on paper? Of course the only way to really know is to take a look.

cheers
Hi Paul

Nil Points!

I've got a couple of grey ones (Both in Dorchester Grey) but its not my favorite Colour.

Especially with those Wheels.

paulyling (07-15-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks again

Yeah the yellow seems ok but its the color that gets me lol! Sounds like its been well looked after.

The one in the 85 model in green though looks nice. If he is there when I get back ill take a look
Hi Paul

Being a Solid Colour, the Yellow One shines like a star and probably won't show water marks when its been washed, so the easiest one to keep clean.
I've never seen a Yellow one, but do have to say it looks nice.

But the Green one is a totally different story, as although it may not be as easy to keep looking as nice and shiny as the Yellow one.

That particular shade of 'Green' which I believe is 'Mica or possibly 'Fern' Green' has to be my all time favorite Colour!

I used to have one just like that but I sold it because it was Pre He and had so many problems, that I felt like topping myself!

Though on the assumption that this one checks out.

I could not resist it! I would have to buy it come what may!

But and there's always a 'BUT'

It's only looking half as nice as it potentially could do, if you work the magic when you get Her home.

For starters that 'Stupid Spoiler' has to go! followed by those blinking awful 'Wheels'

Replace them with 'Lattice Alloys' and that car will look Amazing!

What's so great about this Colour, is that its very subtle and simply 'Smacks of Old Money' If you know what I mean!

But apart from checking everything else, make sure the rear rotors haven't started to wear thin, or like I said, you will have to drop the IRS cage in order to replace them.

From the owners point of view, I doubt if this would be an easy sell, as it has to go to someone who really, really, wants one, more than life itself just like I do!

So its a bit of a 'nice market' in trying to find a buyer, as they are not the kind of Car that everyone wants to buy.

So really hammer the price down and feign total disinterest by saying that you really hate that Colour and have got a list of others to go and look at.

And don't forget to budget for a new set of tyres.

As for Lattice Alloy Wheels, they are not an option!

You simply have to have them End of story!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-15-2014 at 10:13 AM.
paulyling (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 02:20 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Here are two very close to you, I have had them both on my watch list in Gumtree for a while...
This has to be in the competition for the most inappropriate modification.

what does this XJS look like on paper?-xjs-green.jpg

Sheepskin (possibly real - probably fake) seat covers on the yellow one. They could be hiding some horrors.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
o1xjr (07-15-2014), orangeblossom (07-15-2014), paulyling (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
This has to be in the competition for the most inappropriate modification.

Attachment 90704

Sheepskin (possibly real - probably fake) seat covers on the yellow one. They could be hiding some horrors.

Graham
Hi Graham

Absolutely agree with you!

Why would anyone go and bolt that monstrosity on the boot/trunk?

But those seat covers could be protecting some beautiful hide, though having said that, there is only one way to find out!

paulyling (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

heh guys

cheers
Hi Paul

I'm somehow getting the feeling that you could be drifting off track and away from your original expectation, as before you go out to get what you want, you've got to know what you want.

And as such I thought you were looking for a Convertible, which are as different as 'Chalk and Cheese' in the looks department, so don't go and act in haste and repent at leisure.

Because whichever one you go for, you will probably be keeping for a very long time, as Cars like these are easy to buy but not so easy to sell, as you would have to be a 'dyed in the wool' enthusiast to want one.

Preferably with a very clear case of obsessive compulsive disorder, where you would never consider buying anything else and don't give a toss how much money it costs, or how much it loves to drink petrol!

If you are anything like me and as you look like me you probably are! then the first thing to do, is to decide how much money you want to spend and having done so be prepared to spend it!

If you can afford the Petrol bills, which are going to be big enough to make a grown man cry, then the only one to consider is the V12.

Next decide on hard top or convertible and buy the best and latest one that you can afford.

As a first time buyer, its very hard to walk away, as they all sort of look a little bit properly 'gawjus' so as you are looking for love at first sight, take your time and don't jump on the first one that you see.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
GGG (07-15-2014), paulyling (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 AM

Guys again thanks for the help. Your champs. O.B, I prefer the convertible but from hunting around the last month, in Australia, they seem to be out of my budget. I am looking to spend for starters between $10k-$15k. That way I will have money for all the other costs involved as well . The cheapest convertible I have seen so far has been the first in the series from 1989 which was going for $22k. To be honest I love both anyway.

In regards to the rotors. HOw would you be able to check that out if say, some bloke was selling it from his front lawn? Would you be able to just jack it up, remove the tyre and check from there? Would the average seller be ok with that type of thing? (Again I am a newbie to the 2nd hand car market)
Also in regards to the ugly spoiler. If you remove them do they leave ugly bolt holes where they were attached?
Finally my new favourite word is....lattice alloy....yeah have to agree with you. Googled them (I told you I was a newbie). They are awesome.

cheers guys!

orangeblossom (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 AM

Guys again thanks for the help. Your champs. O.B, I prefer the convertible but from hunting around the last month, in Australia, they seem to be out of my budget. I am looking to spend for starters between $10k-$15k. That way I will have money for all the other costs involved as well . The cheapest convertible I have seen so far has been the first in the series from 1989 which was going for $22k. To be honest I love both anyway.

In regards to the rotors. HOw would you be able to check that out if say, some bloke was selling it from his front lawn? Would you be able to just jack it up, remove the tyre and check from there? Would the average seller be ok with that type of thing? (Again I am a newbie to the 2nd hand car market)
Also in regards to the ugly spoiler. If you remove them do they leave ugly bolt holes where they were attached?
Finally my new favourite word is....lattice alloy....yeah have to agree with you. Googled them (I told you I was a newbie). They are awesome.

cheers guys!
If they are inboard brakes its a bit more involved than popping off a wheel for a look,reversing it onto ramps would be the go,and a private seller should welcome any inspection you want to make,or you should run a mile. I have sometimes spent 2 hours looking over a vehicle. With your inexperience in buying used cars you should take somebody who knows what to look for,you can arm them with info from the forums if they are not familiar with Jaguars.Or have an independant RWC done my a mechanic of your choice and make sure they mic the rotors.
As for removing the spoiler,you will have to have mounting points repaired and repainted. Or you could discuss that with the seller as part of the sale.

As you can see from the pics inboard brakes are hard to get to.

what does this XJS look like on paper?-dsc_8973.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-dsc_9264.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-dsc_9306.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-dsc_9276.jpg

Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 AM
GGG

........ In regards to the rotors. HOw would you be able to check that out if say, some bloke was selling it from his front lawn? Would you be able to just jack it up, remove the tyre and check from there? Would the average seller be ok with that type of thing? (Again I am a newbie to the 2nd hand car market)
Also in regards to the ugly spoiler. If you remove them do they leave ugly bolt holes where they were attached? ......
I'd expect a serious seller to be more than happy to jack it up and remove the wheel ......... for a serious buyer. I'd expect him to wrap the wheel brace round the neck of a tyre kicker!

Anyone who knows Jaguars in general and the XJS in particular knows that horrors can lurk beneath the glossy paint. OK, you don't have the corrosion issues in Australia that we have in Europe but there's still a lot to go wrong mechanically. The seller should be willing to demonstrate regular service and maintenance by inspection and backed up with paper records.

Removing something like that spoiler will leave bolt holes and scratched paint under the brackets. A full refinish of the boot lid is the only way to rectify this properly.

Graham

Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Many thanks guys. Will be offline for a few days then ill have some more questions. I work on an oil rig and internet is a bit crappy out there plus I have a few planes to catch from tonight. Catch ya on the other side...

Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 AM

I work on an oil
Paul, that sounds so much like a scammers line.
Are you going to pay by western union and have your agent pick up the car...just kidding.

orangeblossom (07-15-2014), paulyling (07-16-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Paul;

Really good advice rolling around here, but also some local knowledge needed to balance that from OB and Graham. Styling, MY, variants, wheels etc I won't get into ... too personal and your homework will help with "must haves", "likes", "must not haves", and "don't cares".

Several items do stand out. OB's point about the solid colours is very true, but my experience of the '84 XJS in Red (Signal Red?) was that it was a shocker ... sun-fading, especially in Qld, or in our case Sunraysia, is a big problem ... and given our earlier restoration of the gorgeous '65 S Type in this Red (see my album) sealed our purchase of a Red XJS also ... I was gutted and soon moved it on. Sure it was a stunner ... graceful and smooth compared to the nimble aggression of our Series 1 E-Type. Dark colours? No way. Red? Never! Yellow? Big tick.

Graham notes that corrosion here is not on the scale of UK, but I would contend from my experience, that there are many areas on the XJS (eg lower corners around rear window) that even in our climes, are notorious for metal cancer ... in my book, a big step backwards to the problems of the early compact saloons. Look scrupulously for blemishes or minute bubbles in the paint in known susceptible areas.

Running gear, suspension, drive-train components, brakes etc represent no big surprises but as Graham has said, like any of the similarly equipped Jags of this period, can chew up big dollars to replace. The beautiful efi V12 is a lusty performer, but subject to some dodgy wiring and plumbing wear issues now that they are 30yrs of age. The major problem is that those buried well down in the Vee are those least likely to have been maintained ... simply because they are difficult (and expensive) to get to.

Alloy wheels have drawn comment, and I'll add mine. Irrespective of choice, but particularly if your "must haves" are a certain genuine Jaguar style ... then make sure they are already on your purchase. Local prices and very limited availability of replacements can make Plan B prohibitively expensive. The days of being able to buy a set of genuine chrome wires for an E-Type for $5,000 are long gone ... and while the genuine XJS or saloon "pepperpots" are not in that price range, you are well advised to avoid nasty and disappointing surprises. I have seen several XJS's in recent months that are being offered with either crappy after-market wheels or inappropriate Jag saloon wheels ... in 2 cases, because the correct wheels had already departed into the custom car market!!!

Which brings us to the dreaded subject of price vs value ... normally we shy away as if faced with plague. What is a good XJS worth? How about a really good one? Perhaps the best news is that you have a known budget ... and I would suggest a fairly handsome one, in that you have allowed some additional funds for "surprises" ... and there will be "surprises". Clarke hinted at it I think ... certainly, his examples had prices that reflected what I am about to say. I don't add this to start a bun-fight, but here goes ....

"The general marketplace appeal for a big displacement guzzler, right now here in Australia ... and with the notoriety of the XJS as the ugliest Jaguar ever, and with landmark unreliability of a Jaguar V12 engine to boot, where there are no parts, no expertise, lousy and incredibly expensive service ... is right up there with landing a job as Assad's PR guy."

This is not my opinion ... but it is the word on the street. The trade will not touch them. It is no surprise that almost all examples currently for sale are in private (not dealers) hands. And the market is depressed ... I mean; really depressed. I can point your to 2 x 1980's at $5K the pair (one is rubbish but a good donor). I know of another vendor in mid NSW who has been trying for months to sell 4 of them - again on the basis of buy 2, and "I'll throw in the other 2". Many more are being privately dismantled and sold for parts.

Please Paul, do not get depressed at this news. As OB said, the genuine enthusiast is in a prime bargaining position ... because the XJS, whether we like it or not, is incredibly easy to love and buy ... and incredibly difficult to sell. Now, Rebecca is in a tough position ... and not helped by asking a price that is way beyond the market. Here's my sure-fire test ... get yourself a pic (side on, no number plate, good nick) of an XJS you like ... take it to some dealers and talk trade-in. I bet you get the same sad news that Rebecca probably got.

$10K should be a fair fit for a very good example. I cannot conceive of any XJS I've seen in the past year that would justify $15K ... and $22K for a convertible is an absolute joke. Only a few weeks ago, we saw an XK8 sell at auction for $25K.

I can smell people like Grant Francis over in Adelaide scratching an itch to get back into the V12 XJS ... and I'm not far behind him ... because the current market makes them an ideal (but long term) project car ... not an easy or cheap resto ... but there are so many give-away priced cars out there ...

Bugga ... you have got us all keen Paul.

Best wishes,
Ken

The following 3 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
GGG (07-15-2014), orangeblossom (07-15-2014), paulyling (07-16-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Many thanks guys. Will be offline for a few days then ill have some more questions. I work on an oil rig and internet is a bit crappy out there plus I have a few planes to catch from tonight. Catch ya on the other side...
Hi Paul

So You work on an 'Oil Rig' do You! Why didn't you say so before.

Because if you buy an XJS especially a V12 if you don't have Shares in an 'Oil Well', then Working on one must be the next best thing!

Can You get a Staff Discount on '4 Star?' As I think You are going to need it!

paulyling (07-16-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

cheers guys!
Hi Paul

Have to agree with the Comments But!

'While I don't want to Shoot the Messenger' (Hand me those Buns!)

Whoever thought that the XJS was the ugliest Jaguar ever made, is somewhat lacking in the 'Taste Department' and as you know 'Taste' is something that money can't buy!

You've either got it or you haven't got it!

The XJS is nothing short of an Iconic Car. That says 'If you've got it, then Flaunt it!' and the XJS certainly does, as one of the 'Swankiest' Sports Cars to ever roll off a production line, so what's not to like about that!

Except for the fact that everyone thinks, that you are rolling in money, which when you think about it, is not a bad image to have!

So get that 'Kangol' hat back from your Brother!

With regard to the 'Rotors' the Original ones will have 'round hoops' welded around the outside.

While the Aftermarket ones which hopefully they may have been replaced with, won't have those hoops around them, so its easier to tell if they are worn.

Have a look at the Pic of these Rotors, which are getting very near the edge, these were like the ones I had on my 'Mica Green XJS' where they wore so thin the 'Hoop' fell off and went spinning round the drive shaft!

Where the 'Tinkling Sound' made me think that my Phone was ringing!

As for the 'Lattice Alloys' which are a 'Must Have' It has been known for Sellers (Who know how much they are Worth!) to take them off, prior to sale and put the Old Type back on.

Then keep the 'Lattice Alloys' for another Jag they may be buying, so its well worth while in trying to 'Smoke them out of the Seller' by saying that 'If only it had 'Lattice Alloys' on.

If they really want to sell it, they will find them!

As for negotiating, take a leaf from the Dealers and offer them, half!

You can always go up but you can't come down!

http://Name:  XJSApril10010_zpsa347e295.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  28.0 KB

paulyling (07-16-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Graham

[...]

But those seat covers could be protecting some beautiful hide, though having said that, there is only one way to find out!
I have to agree with Graham.

If I was selling a car with Pristine seats I certainly would NOT cover then with some dead animal hide! I would show them off at every possible angle.

If they haven't bothered to remove the covers, you should suspect the wost until proven otherwise.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
orangeblossom (07-15-2014), paulyling (07-16-2014)

Quick Reply: what does this XJS look like on paper?