torque converter Surging problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default torque converter Surging problem

I have been told that the common surging (pulsing) problem associated with cold engines at steady low speed is probably a torque converter problem. Is that a fair call and if so, where could I purchase one? (2003 Jaguar 4.2L S-type) Cheers... Dave.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Dave.

Mmmmm, not with the ZF trans that I know of.

The fluid level, and the age of the fluid is more near the top of any list.

I know they are a sealed for life trans, rubbish now, as ZF have altered their take on that and recommend a fluid/filter change at about 80K or 6 years.

There is also a plastic sleeve update inside the electrical connector that must be done whilst the pan is off. Lots on that is the S Type Tech section of the main Forum.

My go to with any trans is to change that fluid and the filter (the plastic pan on yours IS the filter). Then go from there with any other issues.

That ZF trans is tough, but fluid age is the weak link with it and any trans.

Commodores/Ford use that trans in their latest models. so any competent trans service operator could do it for you.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:41 PM

Thanks Grant, I had the trans pan and fluid changed two weeks ago. The trans mechanic has listed "replaced plastic sleeve" and looking on the receipt the fluid used is listed as "2F fluid". The surge is still there when cold. Cheers...Dave.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:57 AM

OK, good move.

I have little to do with the later S Type, both mine still have the Ford Trans.

BUT, I do read lots of issues with this trans and the ECU that controls it.

Battery voltage and oomph is very high on most lists I have seen.

Some have reported significant improvements by dis-connecting the battery, and letting all the stuff drain from the ECU, takes about 20 minutes?.

I do not know if this system is an adaptive system, but it may be.

I have also read of software updates, commonly called "reflash" that ZF have done over the years.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 AM

Hi Grant, I will get the battery checked but please forgive me... What is an ECU?
Asked about the cost of doing the torque converter and given the quote $$$... I will put up with it!
The air con is not that cool either so I have it booked in to get a new heater valve. Sorry about all the questions but I could just keep adding to the list without a bit of guidance from those with experience... Thanks again... Dave.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:01 AM

The battery test is only a so so test.

If the battery is 4 years or older, mostly, that is the end of its useful life in a high electrical demand car like the Jag etc.

I always put a new battery in any Jag I buy, no matter what the seller says, its just peace of mind for me for at least 4 years.

If the car is not used often, then a battery minder is almost a mandatory item, to keep that battery topped right up.

My wifes car sits on a minder, rarely used now, and 6 years, the battery is fine.

ECU is Electrical Control Unit, or Computer. The ZF cars have a dedicated Transmission ECU. This is sometimes called a TCU, Transmission Control Unit.

There are about 9???? ECU's in your car.

The earlier cars, like mine, have the trans control incorporated in the Engine ECU.

Heater taps are a mongrel to change at any time. Jaguar did well at burying that thing where they did.

The following users liked this post:
Dave1963 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 04:08 AM

Thanks for all the info Grant, much appreciated.

Grant Francis (12-05-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 AM
Default Reflash

Hi again, I had the battery checked by the RAA and it is a top of the range 2017 battery so its brand new and they said it is in perfect working order. So that leaves only a reflash (A new torque converter is cost prohibitive). I have read some success stories and some nightmares, who would you recommend to do this in South Australia and what would one expect to pay? Chers... Dave.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:38 AM

Dave,

Geoff Mockford at Soveriegn Autos in Kent Town.

Mention myself, we go back, well, too far.

No idea of cost, sorry.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 AM

Thanks Grant, I have a mate i taught with a few years ago before he retired named Jan (he was the one who got me into thinking about Jags in the first place, so he has a lot to answer for!) He always spoke highly about Soveriegn Autos so I think I will take advice from both of you and pay them a visit. Cheers... Dave.

Grant Francis (12-06-2017)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progress

Originally Posted by Dave1963
Thanks Grant, I have a mate i taught with a few years ago before he retired named Jan (he was the one who got me into thinking about Jags in the first place, so he has a lot to answer for!) He always spoke highly about Soveriegn Autos so I think I will take advice from both of you and pay them a visit. Cheers... Dave.
Hi Dave Any update, did you manage to get the surging issue sorted or do you have any more info on what the problem is. i am facing the same issue on a 4.2 XK

Old 05-31-2019, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by maxiums
Hi Dave Any update, did you manage to get the surging issue sorted or do you have any more info on what the problem is. i am facing the same issue on a 4.2 XK
Maxiums,

I know Daves car got totaled a while back, victim of stupidity, and last I spoke with him, he was on the way to collect a near new Holden Caprice Special Edition.

I think?????? he lived with the trans thing, coz it was only at certain warm up temps, and thats all I know.

He has moved on from the Forums as best I know.

ALSO

Welcome to teh Forums.

When time permits, please do an Intro in the New Members Area,.

Good luck.