Batteries for Jaguars in VIC & TAS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Batteries for Jaguars in VIC & TAS

All those with S-Types will have caught the fully revised write-up Battery 101 for S-Type Jaguars for which specific Regional Supplements have been added for each major market to which these cars were delivered. All 5 downloads live in S-Type Sticky "How to . . ." section with links from the thread named above

There is no need to add greatly here other than to draw members' attention to the fact that the recommended Varta Silver Series H3 Battery is . . .
  • fitted to all NSW Ambulances; therefore offers higher turnover, fresher stock - check and find equivalent fitment for VIC & TAS;
  • Battery World offers rebate on old battery; free testing and fitting;
  • ask for additional discount for JaguarForums membership.
I have included links to all 5 downloads; but the references are all in the first . . .

#1 Battery 101 for S-Type Jaguars (Main Write-up) . . by [Cat-as-trophy]
#2 Supplement for Chargers in Australasia (AU) . . . . . by [Cat-as-trophy]
#3 Supplement for Owners in UK & Europe (UK) . . . . . by [Timmyboy]
#4 Supplement for Owners in United States (US) . . . . by [Jumpin' Jag Flash]
#5 Supplement for Owners in Canada (CAN) . . . . . . . by [Mikey]

I'm happy to try to answer any queries, but suggest you read at least the main write-up first.
Cheers,
Ken

The following users liked this post:
yarpos (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
All those with S-Types will have caught the fully revised write-up Battery 101 for S-Type Jaguars for which specific Regional Supplements have been added for each major market to which these cars were delivered. All 5 downloads live in S-Type Sticky "How to . . ." section with links from the thread named above

There is no need to add greatly here other than to draw members' attention to the fact that the recommended Varta Silver Series H3 Battery is . . .
  • fitted to all NSW Ambulances; therefore offers higher turnover, fresher stock - check and find equivalent fitment for VIC & TAS;
  • Battery World offers rebate on old battery; free testing and fitting;
  • ask for additional discount for JaguarForums membership.
I have included links to all 5 downloads; but the references are all in the first . . .

#1 Battery 101 for S-Type Jaguars (Main Write-up) . . by [Cat-as-trophy]
#2 Supplement for Chargers in Australasia (AU) . . . . . by [Cat-as-trophy]
#3 Supplement for Owners in UK & Europe (UK) . . . . . by [Timmyboy]
#4 Supplement for Owners in United States (US) . . . . by [Jumpin' Jag Flash]
#5 Supplement for Owners in Canada (CAN) . . . . . . . by [Mikey]

I'm happy to try to answer any queries, but suggest you read at least the main write-up first.
Cheers,
Ken
Thanks, thats a lot of science on the battery topic. The S types must be hungry critters when it comes to battery demand.

I normally just treat batteries as a service by time item and change them out after 3-4 years, just to avoid untimely failures. I normally keep the newest on on the shelf as a spare that is charging whenever the car next to it isnt.

I use the ProjectA and Ctek trickle chargers and havent been able to tell the difference , apart from the Ctek looking sexier and having more blinking lights. Both seem to do a good job of keeping infrequently used batteries fresh.

A nice fresh top of the range battery and a good charger should keep your car happy for the next few years.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member

I hear you Steve and this had long been a non-issue for me, but the 21st C cars and their "standby" rather than "off" mode (like all our home electronics) means there is much more than the dashboard clock drawing power while the car is tucked away in the garage.

Even the trickle chargers are now giving way to these new "smart" or "intelligent" chargers that are not only automatic, but ramp up, down, off, on - all designed to maintain any battery at maximum efficiency. But then, my understanding is that the C-Tek is one of the leaders in this style, as per Timmyboy's supplement.

Steve, what do you think about my Ambo finding here in Coffs. Local turnover provided me with a battery manufactured in Germany not 2 months earlier - compared to around 12 months for my car's original purchaser! Perhaps some similar on a different battery, different high turnover application in Vic?

Love your stirring the pot throughout Vic Steve; especially your listings of suppliers and services. Sooner or later, we must get some of our ACT, Wagga Wagga, Albury members talking with you fellas across the drain about a get-together . . . such as we have just had in Ballina.

Best wishes

Old 10-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Worth asking the battery guy about the high turnover /fresh items. As a guess it will probably be a similar story and a different battery. Our idiot state governments all seem to want to re-invent the same wheel and think they are special and different. A great example is the police in Albury/Wodonga on one side of the river they carry Glocks , on the other side Smith and Wesson. Probably could have saved 20% if they talked to one another and picked one for the deal.

For my old tech cars I just buy whatever heavy duty Century battery that is still made in Australia (maybe not for much longer as they are owned by Yuasa these days).

An intrastate event would be good, although I was more thinking of a car ferry extravaganza to Tassie to put some meaning into the Vic/Tas region label (even if it was just Sandy and I and we meet up with the Tassie guys for lunch one day). I know the BMW 635 guys have their "Sharkfests" and sometimes meet up in the Riverina or Snowy Mountains somewhere. Frankly I am happy that we can get a few people together at the moment and hopefully maintain a core of participators who want to get out and enjoy their cars. If something bigger develops due to natural enthusiasm that would be great.

Last edited by yarpos; 10-28-2014 at 05:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Appreciate your battery comments . . . but love your last para . . . DO BOTH!!!

I see a day when we might have smallish get-togethers all over the place . . . some linked into the established Jaguar Clubs perhaps . . . Clarke in Qld and I both have a soft spot for ALL BRITISH days. That way, we get to preserve our group identity in a larger mixed group. If I still lived in Sunraysia, I would be grabbing all the regional members no matter whether they lived in NSW, VIC or SA. Makes sense.

Your idea for an across the water into TAS is brilliant. Bung up a new thread "Proposed Visit/Meet/Greet into Tasmania" using the need to find an appropriate date (Easter?) to attract discussion; use Jim (Admin) to help you with a blanket PM to all known VIC&TAS members; then as more and more is planned and supported, just get one of the Mods to remove "Proposed" from the title.

Best wishes,
Ken

Old 11-01-2014, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

All good propositions, the idea of reaching out to neighbouring states could be a great way to grow the active numbers for meets. I also like the idea of joint events with owners of other British makes, perhaps some enquiries to gauge interest through their respective forums could be worth trying?