Club Rego experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default Club Rego experiences

Does anyone have any experience , good or bad, with club registration on their cars?

I have been thinking about doing it , but wonder of it just complicates the selling process.

An actual experience out there?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Yarpos,
I have 2 cars on club rego at the moment, including my series 3, and have found it very good. Personally I couldnt justify having the Jag registered if i were paying full rego. There has been a tightening of the laws coming in the pipework for the past six months and soon roadworthys will be mandatory and virtually no modifications will be allowed without an engineers report. As for paying $120 for 90 days of driving and $60 for insurance i think its a great system, and am happy with the changes as they should ensure the survival of the club permit system as lately there have been plenty of people flaunting it. In the three years of club registration I have never been pulled over once and drive my cars multiple times a week, often long distances. For the savings its very easy to fill out a log book.

As far as resale the registration cannot be transferred as far as I know, however, if the car has been roadworthied then there should be no reason it wouldnt be easy to transfer to full registration with another roadworthy.

Its a great system if the car is not your main vehicle and I cannot sing praises loud enough.

Regards,
Jay

The following users liked this post:
yarpos (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, thanks. I was starting to think nobody was using the club system. Which club do you work through?

I guess resale shouldnt be that big a deal as you say, normally you would be getting a roadworthy anyway. You do see a lot of cars being sold with RWCs on the carsales sites, seems to be how some people prefer to work.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:50 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Default Not so straight forward in Qld

1.You must be an active member of a Queensland incorporated vehicle club or association for at least 12 months prior to date of applying.
2.You must supply official documentation to certify the vehicle is authentic and was manufactured not less than 30 years ago. The vehicle can be inspected by a club official and the certification supplied on a club letterhead approved by Qld transport.

Then the following are the rules you have to follow.

Lighting: If the vehicle does not have permanent lighting,
then the registered operator must carry a removable lighting
system with the vehicle at all times and use that system
whenever lighting would normally be required. Carbide lights are
acceptable where that type of light was originally fi tted.
Use of vehicles registered with a Special Interest Vehicle
Concession is restricted to the following:
• Participating in rallies organised by incorporated vehicle clubs.
• Participating in processions for which a Special Event Permit
has been issued under the Transport Operations (Road Use
Management - Accreditation and Other Provisions) Regulation
• Exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions
conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes.
• Use for ceremonial purposes involving immediate family
members, provided this is not done for fee or reward.
Immediate family means parents, grandparents, sons,
daughters, grandchildren but not extended family relationships
such as nephews and nieces.
• Preparing for, proceeding to, and returning from the above
activities.
• Direct travel to and from an Approved Inspection Station
for the purposes of obtaining a safety certifi cate before the
vehicle is for sale.
• Travel in order to have the vehicle repaired. There is no
distance restriction in these circumstances however such
travel must be reasonable and justifi ed by the vehicle owner.
• In addition to the above, street rods may participate in events
sanctioned by the Australian Street Rod Federation.
• Heavy vehicles are permitted to carry a load provided the
loaded GVM or GCM does not exceed 50% of the maximum
permitted mass for the vehicle confi guration. This mass is
determined based on the lesser of the following:
• individual axle ratings
• tyre manufacturer’s limits
• manufacturer’s GVM or GCM
• regulation mass limits.
The load must be in relation to or part of the reason for, the
vehicle’s use under the scheme.
• Buses are permitted to carry non-paying passengers for
journeys (joy rides) from an event (for example at a fete) and
return provided the length of the journey does not exceed fi ve
kilometres. Payment of any kind cannot be made for these
journeys.
• Road testing within a 15 kilometre radius from the place where
the vehicle is garaged. The purpose of the travel must be to
road test the vehicle following repair or restoration and not for
any other purpose.
Historic ambulances and historic fi re-fi ghting equipment
vehicles are restricted to the following uses:
• participating in processions for which a special events permit
has been issued.
• exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions
conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes.
• preparing for, proceeding to and returning from these activities.

I have looked into this with classic bikes before and decided it is easier to pay full rego and drive it when you want to. Myself and a few mates have considered starting our own club ("Blokes with old stuff") that will cover all vehicles over 30 years old,and installing ourselves as club officials. But getting a club registered and insured in Qld is more of APITA than it is worth.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

We are lucky in victoria to have a log book system the allows us either 45 or 90 days of unrestricted use, as long as isnt for any type of financial gain. There is no restriction of the way you use your car within these 90 days but if you are pulled over and havent filled out your log book the car is considered unregistered and you cop large fines. There are over 40,000 vehicles registered under this scheme currently. It costs around $70 for 45 days or $120 for 90 days. The vehicle has to be over 25 years old and you have to be a financial member of a club but the clubs themselves are the ones who place restrictions on how long you have to be a member ect so most clubs have no minimum time but allot have a expectation that you attend a few meetings per year.

Vicroads and AOMC have plenty of good information on this scheme but overall having never been pulled over in the years ive driven under this scheme and having never reached 90 days in any of my cars I can say it is great and personally I wouldnt even consider having 4 cars registered without this scheme as full registration is way to expensive for toy cars.

Regards,
Jay

Old 09-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

love the idea of a "blokes with old stuff club" .... pity its too hard to set up

Old 09-06-2014, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos
love the idea of a "blokes with old stuff club" .... pity its too hard to set up
Not too hard,just APITA. We still discuss it and it seems more likely the more it is talked about. A couple of these guys have 3 or 4 vehicles they want to put on club rego,and we can plan club runs whenever we want.
Last Saturday night we were talking about it until the wee hours of the morning while the girls drank wine.
List of vehicles owned by the 8 possible founding members include.
1979 GS1000, 1981 GXS1100, 1989 GPZ1000, 1979 Z250, 1977 Triumph Stag, 1973 XJ6, 57 Corvette, 49 Buick, Dodge fargo, old MB(no idea of year or model),1969 Beetle, 1972 combi,69 Cadilac,68 4 door pillarless impala, 1975 Cesna, 1982 ski boat, 1982 International Acco Truck, unrestored 1960 Leyland beaver, P76 Coupe...no vehicle turned away unless it is a Lada.

Not a bad list to start. And not much room for new members,we don't want to get voted out at the AGM and have new guys changing the rules on us.

Last edited by o1xjr; 09-06-2014 at 02:11 AM.
yarpos (09-07-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

We started our own club earlier this year so we could get on board with the club permit scheme.
It's not really that hard, just a lot of paper work.
We've only got 8 members and don't plan to get any more.

When I bought the MK2 it was on a club permit, an unexpected bonus is they aren't transferable so essentially your buying an un registered vehicle.
No stamp duty or transfer fee.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hawken:
o1xjr (09-07-2014), yarpos (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hawken
We started our own club earlier this year so we could get on board with the club permit scheme.
It's not really that hard, just a lot of paper work.

When I bought the MK2 it was on a club permit, an unexpected bonus is they aren't transferable so essentially your buying an un registered vehicle.
Thanks to Clarkes note, I sent off a query to Vic Roads about what was required. Might learn more from you (and probably sooner the way VicRoads operates) if you make it on the 21st.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Not too hard,just APITA. We still discuss it and it seems more likely the more it is talked about. A couple of these guys have 3 or 4 vehicles they want to put on club rego,and we can plan club runs whenever we want.
Last Saturday night we were talking about it until the wee hours of the morning while the girls drank wine.
List of vehicles owned by the 8 possible founding members include.
1979 GS1000, 1981 GXS1100, 1989 GPZ1000, 1979 Z250, 1977 Triumph Stag, 1973 XJ6, 57 Corvette, 49 Buick, Dodge fargo, old MB(no idea of year or model),1969 Beetle, 1972 combi,69 Cadilac,68 4 door pillarless impala, 1975 Cesna, 1982 ski boat, 1982 International Acco Truck, unrestored 1960 Leyland beaver, P76 Coupe...no vehicle turned away unless it is a Lada.

Not a bad list to start. And not much room for new members,we don't want to get voted out at the AGM and have new guys changing the rules on us.
sounds great, what an assortment of stuff! But, I'm sorry, I would have to accept native Russian Lada's purely on the basis of the challenge of getting one here and then getting it to run. What a triumph of epic persistence , and perhaps total pointlessness. Good reason to have tight membership, to keep out closet Lada-lovers.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hawken

We've got 8 starters also(known each other for a long time,minimum is 14 years), the only new members allowed after that will be mates who meet the stringent initiation rules like holding meetings in their garage.
Although part of the application process here is to run an add inviting people to join in a local paper(public notices) for 4 weeks. But we can make that sound as uninviting as we like. I have heard Qld is the hardest state to form a club.

If you buy an unregistered vehicle in Qld you still have to pay stamp duty and transfer fee at time of registering it.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 AM

sounds great, what an assortment of stuff! But, I'm sorry, I would have to accept native Russian Lada's purely on the basis of the challenge of getting one here and then getting it to run. What a triumph of epic persistence , and perhaps total pointlessness. Good reason to have tight membership, to keep out closet Lada-lovers.
Yep, we have plenty of old stuff to play with,no matter who's garage we are in!
A club will give us one more reason to upset the women folk.
My mates son has a Lada Niva(1983 I think) 2 door soft top. We have told him he will have to buy an old bike to join as the Lada doesn't qualify,although it does get driven daily to uni. And we have all worked on it at some stage.
Tight membership keeps us in the elected seats,and in control. I have seen people lose control of small organisations before from a couple of rogue (unscreened)members.
Unless it is a brand specific club where it is started for enthusiasts you want to keep your finger on the pulse. If this happens,it will be same bunch of mates that meet now with rego bonuses.

Last edited by o1xjr; 09-07-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

So, here we are two years after I asked the question. In the interim I have joined a local club and VicRoads have changed the rules quite a bit so change of ownership is pretty much the same for club and full rego cars.

Did the first car today , a standard BMW 635. Net result is a $550 annual reg saving and a $100 insurance saving.

Next car is the Jag , which caused a ripple through the local club as it was the first (gasp) modified car they have admitted and processed for the club system. A bit like Kens words above they are very conscious of what they wanted from the club and maintaining the "ambiance". Its a discussion they needed to have anyway as sooner or later cars need mods as original options are exhausted. Meetings were held and the Jag deemed OK as it looks standard externally and you would never know its was lumped unless you stand near the exhaust. Happily I dont need to get it engineering certified again.

Then comes the little Morris I am working on.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Just remember to fill your log book out before the trip Steve.
A copper I know said the first thing he checks when he stops a car on club plates is the log book. From memory I think he said it's an $800 fine.

yarpos (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Ken, yes they have set the fine way more than a years rego. I nearly fell at the first hurdle. Went to Seymour , did the changeover, hopped in the car to come back home and started driving before realising I had to do the logbook. That would have taken the gloss off the day :-)

Old 09-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

So far I haven't been stopped, but I keep the log book on the console so I can't forget. The thing that really amazed me was the insurance saving, new premium is $112 p.a. full comp & agreed value with RACV.

yarpos (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
So far I haven't been stopped, but I keep the log book on the console so I can't forget. The thing that really amazed me was the insurance saving, new premium is $112 p.a. full comp & agreed value with RACV.
Thanks for the tip. I feel a change of insurer coming on, I am paying 3 times that with the allegedly great supporter of the car enthusiast, Shannons. I am guessing my insured value is less than yours.

Last edited by yarpos; 09-09-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:28 PM

We started a club and got it accredited by TMR(Transport & Main Roads), most of the 8 members are using "Special interest vehicle registration concession scheme"

But it isn't going to work in my favour, too limiting for the amount I use this car. But I have put my Dad's Norton on it.

Registering your vehicle under the Special Interest Vehicle Registration
Concession Scheme
1. Historic vehicles
You will need to follow the standard registration procedures for a vehicle as well as completing a Vehicle
Registration Concession Application (form F3937) and providing the following documents as proof of
eligibility:
• Club membership: Evidence of current membership with a Queensland incorporated vehicle club
or association must be provided at the time of application for the concession. This must be on club
letterhead, include details of the vehicle/s to be registered under the SIV scheme (such as vehicle
make, model, year, chassis number) and be signed by a club official. Vehicles other than historic
ambulances and fire-fighting equipment vehicles must be registered in the name of the club member
(individuals only).
• Historic vehicle and dating certificate (if applicable): A historic vehicle and dating certificate is
only required if the date of manufacture cannot be verified by TMR. TMR can verify a vehicle’s date
of manufacture from an existing vehicle record, a previous registration certificate for the vehicle,
import papers or from the identification (compliance) or manufacturer’s plate.
If a dating certificate is required, a dating officer (or club official) of a Queensland incorporated
vehicle club or association must certify the vehicle’s authenticity and year of manufacture. This
certificate must be on club letterhead or other official club documentation and include the vehicle
details to identify the vehicle (e.g. chassis number).
Restricted vehicle use
Vehicles registered under the scheme have certain limitations placed on their use. This is reflected in the
reduced fees and compulsory third party insurance premium. Registered operators must confine their
vehicle’s use to:
• participating in rallies organised by incorporated vehicle clubs
• participating in processions for which a Special Events Permit has been issued under the Transport
Operations (Road Use Management –Accreditation and Other Provisions) Regulation 2005
• exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions conducted for religious, charitable or
educational purposes
• ceremonial purposes (weddings, formals) involving immediate family members, or as part of a
sanctioned club event, provided this is not done for fee or reward. Immediate family means parents,
grandparents, sons, daughters, grandchildren but not extended family relationships such as
nephews and nieces
• preparing for, proceeding to, and returning from the above activities
• direct travel to and from an Approved Inspection Station (AIS) for the purposes of obtaining a safety
certificate before offering the vehicle for sale
• travel in order to have the vehicle repaired. There is no distance restriction in these circumstances
however, such travel must be reasonable and justifiable by the vehicle operator
• road testing within a 15 kilometre radius from the place where the vehicle is garaged or is being
repaired. The purpose of the travel must be to road test the vehicle following repair or restoration, or
for general vehicle maintenance and not for any other purpose. This does not include use as a
means of transport.
Upside is we now we have an official reason to sit around a garage in groups and drink beer and talk motor vehicles.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip. I feel a change of insurer coming on, I am paying 3 times that with the allegedly great supporter of the car enthusiast, Shannons. I am guessing my insured value is less than yours.
The premium does include a $16 discount as I'm a long standing RACV member, even so it's still cheap without that. I beefed up my agreed value to $13k to cover some inevitable future capex. The basic excess is $300. RACV surprised me with their club insurance since they are not an el cheapo outfit. I have always found Shannon's horribly expensive though...

Last edited by jagent; 09-09-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
We started a club and got it accredited by TMR(Transport & Main Roads), most of the 8 members are using "Special interest vehicle registration concession scheme"

But it isn't going to work in my favour, too limiting for the amount I use this car. But I have put my Dad's Norton on it.

Upside is we now we have an official reason to sit around a garage in groups and drink beer and talk motor vehicles.

WOW! that is restrictive. Can't help thinking Vic will tighten up a bit more in the future, as always the system gets used and abused by a few undesirables determined to wreck it for everyone else. Anyhow, all we need at present (I think most of this is mentioned above) is a standard Vic RWC, proof the car is over 25 y/o, approval of a registered club (min. membership requirement varies between clubs - Jag Vic is 12 months) and choice of 45 or 90 days use within a year. Log book to record days of use, no restriction on distance or purpose of use.

Cheers,

o1xjr (09-09-2015)

Quick Reply: Club Rego experiences