Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

3M clear bra advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 3M clear bra advice

2008 XKR. Where are these cars vulnerable to rock chips?

The front bumper cover would be the obvious choice and I'll be getting that done for sure. The installer I'm talking to offers just the bumper cover or the bumper cover, hood, and mirrors. Does the hood really need protection? I'm leaning towards having just the bumper done unless someone has other advice for me. Where are your rock chips?

Has anyone had the whole hood done? Is it noticeable? Seems like it would reflect light differently than the bare waxed body panels around it.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM

21 looks but no responses. I guess chips aren't a problem. Sweet!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hmmmm, I am moving your thread off to the Detailing Forums , I believe you will get more replies but being a plastic bumper cover it will be invulnerable

Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

The air dam under the bumper is an area you should protect as long as you'r concerned about the bumper. Mine has taken a beating over the years.

I have seen only 1 Jag with a full front clear bra installed. I was not impressed. IMO it has a "fuss budget" look to it. Sort of like the big bug deflectors you see on old men's Lincoln Town Cars.

That being said, I still wish somebody had put one on my lower air dam area about 50,000 miles ago.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by AirCav
2008 XKR. Where are these cars vulnerable to rock chips?

The front bumper cover would be the obvious choice and I'll be getting that done for sure. The installer I'm talking to offers just the bumper cover or the bumper cover, hood, and mirrors. Does the hood really need protection? I'm leaning towards having just the bumper done unless someone has other advice for me. Where are your rock chips?

Has anyone had the whole hood done? Is it noticeable? Seems like it would reflect light differently than the bare waxed body panels around it.
The hood on the Audi I just bought apparently had the hood done and it was a real PITA to remove the adhesive stains. That looks a lot worse than the odd paint chip.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. I had to make a decision so I went ahead with just the bumper. I haven't seen it yet. I'll let you know my thoughts when I pick it up.

tarhealcracker - I'm a little surprised at your "fuss budget" observation. Was the clear bra that obvious? I have been led to believe that the 3M film is pretty much invisible unless you are looking at a seam. I'm going to be disappointed if that is not the case.

carelm - The deed is done so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Wish me luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Aircav,

I only saw the one. It had been in the Fla sun for some years and yes it was obvious when you got within about 6 ft. of the car. It was also missing a big piece as if someone had started to remove it. There was a very obvious diff in paint color, covered portion to uncovered.

All that being said, I think your approach is the correct one in that your covered portion will conform to existing body/contour lines/panel lines.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:46 AM

Thought I better follow up. Picked up the car and was relieved that I couldn't see where anything had been applied to the bumper. Only when I felt it with a fingernail could I tell that there was a coating. I'm very happy with the installation.

Time will tell, maybe you guys are right and it will look like crap down the road. For now, I'm glad that I had it done. I like the peace of mind.

The following users liked this post:
Johngflyer (11-30-2013)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  19.3 KB

thanks for the follow up aircav....how about some pics of yours with the clear bra on?
Maybe a few of the car at a slight distance and some close up shots might help others make better informed decisions in the future?

This is your chance to step up to the mat

Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

My son had clear bra installed on his '03 Cadillac Seville STS (black on black real sharp). It looks like h**l now. The clear bra takes a beating and after a fairly short period of time gets dull and spoils the looks of the car. He'll never use the product again - save your loot...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

What brand did he use? I wonder if that makes a difference.

I guess the only other option you have to repair rock chips is to respray the whole front end (bumper, hood, fenders)?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

The shop used a "Top" product, I don't think it's the brand so much as the beating the product takes.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Yeah, I get it. You guys don't think much of the clear bra products. Noted.

Right or wrong, it's too late since I had to make a long distance decision and it's done. It was actually a Llumar product, by the way.

I like it a lot and am happy with my choice. With previous cars, I have had the bumper covers touched up/repainted periodically. I'm guessing that the "Celestial Black" paint on this Jaguar would complicate that. (that is some freaky paint....still don't really know how to describe it) So, now we'll see how the "Paint Protection Film" holds up.

As requested, I took a couple pictures. I'm not a photographer. I fully realize that this forum is a poor choice to post pictures of an unwashed/detailed car but it's cold here and it might be awhile before I can get it done right. (anybody know a good detailer in East Tennessee?) I'll try to remember to update them when it warms up. I've only had the car a few weeks, it's got 20k miles on it, and I haven't even washed it. I did spritz the front end with Z-6 to get most of the water spots.

With those disclaimers out of the way, I tried to concentrate on the seam areas. (The only thing "clear bra'd" is the full bumper cover which is done in two pieces) Also tried to show any difference in reflectivity/texture between the protected paint on the bumper and the unprotected hood (bonnet?). In other words, I tried to show it in it's worst light.

This exercise also disclosed numerous tiny rock chips on the hood that I hadn't really noticed previously.....great.

Anyway, I would defy any of you to notice this treatment walking by the car unless you were focused on finding it. There are seams but they are quite unobtrusive in real life. (had to use a macro setting to get some to show up) I do not know how it will hold up over time but those of you who claim it's easy to spot and looks cheap...well, you are wrong.

I also suspect that a product like this is best applied by experienced professionals. Likewise, I'd choose similar people to remove it. Something tells me that "grab & yank" isn't the preferred method.

Happy New Year from Tennessee!

Attached Thumbnails 3M clear bra advice-9d2ad0e3.jpg   3M clear bra advice-528ad1a6.jpg   3M clear bra advice-c11d6bd5.jpg   3M clear bra advice-3b3ec36b.jpg   3M clear bra advice-89aba052.jpg  

3M clear bra advice-790eced7.jpg  

Last edited by Cadillac; 01-03-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Images were too big to view properly
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I love it!!

I think that this is a well done job! There is a difference in the quality of the material used... The best product out there is Venture Shield I believe, it has a warranty on discoloration so you can be sure it won't yellow out after a few months.

AirCav (03-13-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

AirCav,

Cograts on the PPF wrap, it looks fantastic and more than anything your protected. I am a firm believer of Invisible Bra or PPF, its an inexpensive investment and it delivers a great return for the money...No more rock chips and nicks....an enthusiasts dream!!

Sure like anything products advance and newer products come to the market. Older PPF turned yellow, dull and cracked. Todays newer films are even self healing such as the new Xpel film.......

Keep in mind PPF wears, kind of like tires.....Its not a forever product, and because its man made, machine produced and installed by humans its not perfect. You must care for this product regularly, stay away from harsh chemicals and using a quality mist and wipe to remove daily contaminants helps alot.

Something else to consider....lets say you paid $1000 for the product and install....just to repaint a peppered bumper costs over $800 to remove, refinish and replace....so basically at a cost of about $20.00 per month over 48 months, its cheap insurance in my eyes!

The bottom line is if your happy then thats all that matters!

AirCav (03-13-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing
AirCav,

Cograts on the PPF wrap, it looks fantastic and more than anything your protected. I am a firm believer of Invisible Bra or PPF, its an inexpensive investment and it delivers a great return for the money...No more rock chips and nicks....an enthusiasts dream!!

Sure like anything products advance and newer products come to the market. Older PPF turned yellow, dull and cracked. Todays newer films are even self healing such as the new Xpel film.......

Keep in mind PPF wears, kind of like tires.....Its not a forever product, and because its man made, machine produced and installed by humans its not perfect. You must care for this product regularly, stay away from harsh chemicals and using a quality mist and wipe to remove daily contaminants helps alot.

Something else to consider....lets say you paid $1000 for the product and install....just to repaint a peppered bumper costs over $800 to remove, refinish and replace....so basically at a cost of about $20.00 per month over 48 months, its cheap insurance in my eyes!

The bottom line is if your happy then thats all that matters!
Dear Innovative Detailing,

I recently bought a Jaguar XKR-S (italian racing red). I would like to look into a clear bra for as much of the car as I can. How much can you protect? It possible to clear bra the whole dag on car? Also:

1- If you had a 6 figure car like this - which product would you choose regarding the clear bra?

2- Can you recommend any mobile detailing companies in the Columbus, Ohio area that you know are as good as your company?

3- As far as leather conditioning - this car came with the "carbon fiber leather". Its simply amazing. I want to keep it that way - how often would you recommend using leather conditioner/cleaner if its not in the weather (stays garaged up and covered unless driving in perfect weather). What specific product would you recommend?

Thanks!! Not sure how to private message someone on this site since I just joined!

Lothar52

Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Dear Innovative Detailing,

I recently bought a Jaguar XKR-S (italian racing red). I would like to look into a clear bra for as much of the car as I can. How much can you protect? It possible to clear bra the whole dag on car? Also:

Congrats on the new purchase, wonderful choice and color!!
It is possible to wrap an entire vehicle, top to bottom, 360 degrees. We have done many including a recent Lamborghini Aventador.

1- If you had a 6 figure car like this - which product would you choose regarding the clear bra?

If I had a choice for wrapping the vehicle, I would choose either Xpel Ultimate or Suntek PPF

2- Can you recommend any mobile detailing companies in the Columbus, Ohio area that you know are as good as your company?

Thank you for the compliment Loth, here is your man...Esoteric Auto Detail in Columbus, Ohio – Restorative Detailing Services

3- As far as leather conditioning - this car came with the "carbon fiber leather". Its simply amazing. I want to keep it that way - how often would you recommend using leather conditioner/cleaner if its not in the weather (stays garaged up and covered unless driving in perfect weather). What specific product would you recommend?

I would recommend that for now you care for the seating using a slightly damp MF towel, with no chems or products. Since its new, let it breath and let the natural finish on the leather break in naturally without sealing or clogging it up.

Thanks!! Not sure how to private message someone on this site since I just joined!

Lothar52
Hoping this is helpful!!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

YOU ARE THE MAN DAVE!!! Thanks for the awesome reply!!!

Innovative Detailing (09-28-2012)