Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts
Default 7424

I bought a Porter Cable 7424 today

Old 03-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

You are now on your way to paint perfection!

Did you get the XP version, pads and products as well? if so please share...

I bet you are probably out in the garage breaking that bad boy in!...enjoy!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Yup, you're definitely going to need a DA polisher to get your black VDP up to snuff!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Nice, I've heard great things about that machine. I've got the 6" Griots Garage D/A.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

I should have bought this 5 years ago. I got the regular 7424, the step down from the xp. To me I wouldn't know he difference. It makes very short and quick work sanding I can tell you that. It is very user friendly after getting use to its weight. I can't wait to try it buffing. great investment, I highly recommend it. Don't wait like I did.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Old 03-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio
I should have bought this 5 years ago. I got the regular 7424, the step down from the xp. To me I wouldn't know he difference. It makes very short and quick work sanding I can tell you that. It is very user friendly after getting use to its weight. I can't wait to try it buffing. great investment, I highly recommend it. Don't wait like I did.
Dont look back...we all could of, should of, would of at some point in life....just move forward and enjoy your newest detailing tool. It will give you countless years of dependable performance, and that personal satisfaction that you were able to get the job done. The learning curve is natural and easy to get over so have no fear, so long as you use the right pad and product combo, your paintwork will come to life, and minor corrections will be acomplished. This machine will not burn paint or edges, it is a gentle polisher unlike a rotary......I do recommend taping off black mouldings with blue painters tape to avoid discoloration. The key is also not using to much product, but just enough to get the job done.

Some tips.....

1) Prime your pad with some quick detailer

2) Apply 4 to 5 drops of product on the pad per pass of the panel working in a 2ft square area.

3) After applying the product to the pad, set the machine on the vehicle and pre rub the product in before turning the machine on to prevent product sling. DO NOT TURN MACHINE ON IN MID AIR, SET ON VEHICLE THEN TURN ON

4) Work the product into the paint work, if I am polishing with M205 for example, I work it at the 5-6 setting, overlapping sections so that I go over each area 2 or 3 times. Once I finish the panel I remove the product and go on to the next panel. I do not let the product sit on the panels as I work my way around, remove as you go.

Do not let the pad get loaded or clogged up, keep a pad brush along side you to clean the pad for the best results

The learning curve I mentioned is like anything else in life.....but once you plug that PC into the wall and start polishing you willl be amazed!!!

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 03-25-2011 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (03-25-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 7424 a few years ago and have enjoyed it ever since. My biggest obsticle is that I have to work outside. I do not have a garage. So I either start early in the morning on weekends or wait until late afternoon.

I have learned an awful lot about these machines and the products and pad use. I still consider myself a new user.

When I wash my cars, I spend significant time just washing (about 45 minutes per car) including drying and vacuuming. Then if there is time I can breakout the 7424, that is good for another 2 hours or more. If I am claying the car it takes another 20 minutes, then the swirl mark remover, if needed, then polish and wax. Did I mention the cars are black? Sheesh, maybe I should get white cars from now on.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by chairman25
Sheesh, maybe I should get white cars from now on.
+1 Always the best choice!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

David, what does a pad brush look like? I am afraid of ripping the pads with a brush that is too harsh.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 AM

Here is what the "Foam Pad" cleaning brush looks like....

Name:  autogeek_2150_28031756.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  7.2 KB

Turn the polisher on a low speed like 1000rpm and drag from outside to inside and back. Brush off the pad every couple passes to keep it clean and