Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Claying Your Car with Pinnacle

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Claying Your Car with Pinnacle

Claying is one of the most important steps in detailing your car and you should do it about once a year. The purpose of claying is to remove contaminants that are in your clearcoat. A simple wash will not remove these contaminants. Your vehicle is under constant assault from airborne pollutants. Brake dust, industrial fallout, acid rain deposits and rail dust all can adhere to your vehicle. Detailing clay glides along the surface of your paint and grabs anything that protrudes from the surface. The particle sticks to the clay and is therefore removed from your vehicle. Claying will increase the gloss and clarity of your paint.

This is the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Special

What’s Included:
4 oz. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
This new ultra fine grade of clay removes paint contamination yet is recommended for frequent use. Use Ultra Poly Clay as often as needed to maintain a slick, smooth finish. This is an ultra safe, nonabrasive grade of clay that works on all types of paint, glass, and chrome.
16 oz. Pinnacle Clay Lubricant
Pinnacle Clay Lubricant creates a slick barrier between the paint and the clay cleaning material. The high lubricity formula prevents loosened contamination from scratching delicate clear coat finishes yet it will not break down or degrade the integrity of the clay.
2 Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels
The Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel is perfect for buffing because it has a deep pile where dirt and dust can accumulate away from the paint, rather than being rubbed into the paint. Plus, the long, silky microfibers do an excellent job of massaging away fingerprints and smudges.

Step 1: Wash and Dry You Vehicle
I used the Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba to wash the car. Very easy and fast to use.

Step 2: Do the Bag Test
Put a plastic sandwich bag over your hand and lightly rub your fingertips over the paint. If it feels gritty or rough, your paint is contaminated.

Step 3: Lubricate and Rub
Spray a small area with clay lubricant. Gently rub the clay bar back and forth across the wet area. It will grab at first. This means that it is pulling contaminants out of the paint. When it glides freely, the paint is clean.

Step 4: Wipe Off the Clay Residue
Wipe the area with a microfiber towel and use the clay lubricant to remove any clay residue. Rub your fingers across the paint and it should be as smooth as glass. If it’s not, repeat the process. Reshape the clay bar as needed to expose a clean surface. Keep the clay well-lubricated.

AS YOU CAN SEE, THE CLAY DID PICK UP SOME CONTAMINANTS

At the end of the day, store your clay in a plastic zip lock bag and spray some clay lubricant in it to prevent the clay from drying. Any questions, just let me know. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Claying Your Car with Pinnacle-img_2643.jpg   Claying Your Car with Pinnacle-img_2640.jpg   Claying Your Car with Pinnacle-img_26502.jpg   Claying Your Car with Pinnacle-img_26463.jpg   Claying Your Car with Pinnacle-img_26493.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Jim,

I am generally not one to hype up a particular supplier but I have to say that Palm Beach Motoring Group (owners of the Pinnacle brand among others) is one of the best companies I have ever purchased from.

I recently performed a full detail with paint correction on my car and posted a thread on it. I had never done any form of detailing (other than basic washing and waxing) and in one month of studying the articles on Palm Beach Motoring's Autogeek forum, I learned enough to feel comfortable on performing the work myself.

PBMG certainly know how to market and sell their products and are not shy about it but they are also willing to provide information and technical help on how to do virtually any detailing task. Their Autogeek.net site is a one stop shop for just about any detailing need but it is their forum that provides an amazing amount of information as well as reviews and opinions of professional and amateur detailers from all over the world. It is much like our wonderful Jaguarforums in that respect

Even if you never buy a product from PBMG, do yourself a favour and visit this page Articles by Mike Phillips - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum and click on any of the links. You will find so much content, articles, videos etc on virtually every aspect of detailing and paint restoration from their expert Mike Phillips. From my perspective, it's a must read for any novice detailer. You might even consider adding the link to the stickies section.

Disclaimer: I have no connection at all with PMBG or it's affiliates other than they have truly earned my loyalty as a customer.

Cheers,

Allan

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Could not agree more......Outstanding information source and a great forum!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
Jim,

I am generally not one to hype up a particular supplier but I have to say that Palm Beach Motoring Group (owners of the Pinnacle brand among others) is one of the best companies I have ever purchased from.

I recently performed a full detail with paint correction on my car and posted a thread on it. I had never done any form of detailing (other than basic washing and waxing) and in one month of studying the articles on Palm Beach Motoring's Autogeek forum, I learned enough to feel comfortable on performing the work myself.

PBMG certainly know how to market and sell their products and are not shy about it but they are also willing to provide information and technical help on how to do virtually any detailing task. Their Autogeek.net site is a one stop shop for just about any detailing need but it is their forum that provides an amazing amount of information as well as reviews and opinions of professional and amateur detailers from all over the world. It is much like our wonderful Jaguarforums in that respect

Even if you never buy a product from PBMG, do yourself a favour and visit this page Articles by Mike Phillips - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum and click on any of the links. You will find so much content, articles, videos etc on virtually every aspect of detailing and paint restoration from their expert Mike Phillips. From my perspective, it's a must read for any novice detailer. You might even consider adding the link to the stickies section.

Disclaimer: I have no connection at all with PMBG or it's affiliates other than they have truly earned my loyalty as a customer.

Cheers,

Allan
Thanks for the heads up and positive comments Allan, much appreciated.

I did read your post on the detailing you did on your car too, really nice job.