Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

First time detail

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default First time detail

I have always taken my cars to the dealers for detailing. Now, I want to try to do it myself. I plan to purchase an all inclusive kit that includes the clay bar for prewash, the wash and clean solutions, the polish, and the wax. I know pinnacle is popular on here. What are other comparable brands and what would be the best way to take on this job. I know I have minor scratches here and swirl marks. I want to get to these before the polish and wax, I am looking through the threads. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

To get those swirls out you need a very soft foam pad ,low speeds and a very fine grade polishing compound.

You shouldn't have your buffer going any faster than 1200 rpm.
I usually keep it at 1000 rpm through all the stages, but in your case I'm guessing you won't be doing any paint corrections but rather just polishing.

I haven't found the exact polish to avoid those swirl marks but for the foam pad I really like the 3m ultrafine waffle pad.

It is by far my favorite, I am able to get 2000 grit marks out no problem using the norton liquid ice compound.

Apparently norton makes a finishing compound called the liquid ice Ultra-fine for getting out the swirls in black paints.

I haven't given it a try yet but I have seen the results from a rep and it looks nice.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I have always taken my cars to the dealers for detailing. Now, I want to try to do it myself. I plan to purchase an all inclusive kit that includes the clay bar for prewash, the wash and clean solutions, the polish, and the wax. I know pinnacle is popular on here. What are other comparable brands and what would be the best way to take on this job. I know I have minor scratches here and swirl marks. I want to get to these before the polish and wax, I am looking through the threads. Thanks.
Other than Pinnacle, which I rate the best I have ever used, I am a big fan of the Meguiars product line. They have everything you need. Amazon or your local Walmart or Autozone, etc has the Meguiars product.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Oh...btw,I forgot to mention that I will not be using a machine. This will be a totally elbow grease powered effort.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Oh...btw,I forgot to mention that I will not be using a machine. This will be a totally elbow grease powered effort.
That's going to be very hard work!

Graham

Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Ouch! That is going to make it a bit tought o get the swirls out.

There are some carnuba waxes that will help hide those marks and will also make your clear really pop! For that you only need a few soft and very clean microfiber towels.
You can clean your microfiber towels with a washing machine on the delicate cycle WITH NO DETERGENT as the detergent will stay in there and eat away at the wax you are trying to apply.

The trick when applying is to go long ways across your car when applying and then let it dry to a light haze and lightly buff with a microfober towel. Only do about 1 square foot at a time because if it dries to much it will be a pain to buff out the residue.

Mothers has a nice california gold, I use it about once ever two months and I love it.

Also the colder your cars panels are the better, if possible let it sit in your garage over night then start waxing in the morning.

This is the product I use:
http://www.carid.com/universal-detai...FS1p7AodagsA_Q

You really should use a real carnauba paste as the synthetic does not work as well, however synthetic is always cheaper.

You can find this product at any professional paint supply store and they may even have advise for you, bring your car so they can see what you're dealing with.

Good luck!

Last edited by pitifulpluto; 03-03-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Also I forgot to add DO NOT put your microfiber towels through the machine dryer.

The machine dryer will tear the microfiber towel apart slightly and greatly reduce the life, unless you have a rack inside you can place them on so they don't bounce around in there.

It is best to let them air dry in the sun.

The following users liked this post:
datuttle (03-16-2014)