Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Freshiening up the stiching, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Freshiening up the stiching, advice?

The light grey leather is being let down by its stiching around the armrest and console, and a couple parts of the seat itself.

Dave the detailer has given us some great advice on products and methods (aka the steamer) for rejuvinating the leather, but what about something safe to lighten up the stiching so it isn't dull or dirty looking anymore. Anything out there for a product, and maybe using a toothbrush that can safely clean the stiches, without harming the leather and not damaging the integrity of the threads?

TIA, looking forward to hearing some of your good ideas, hopefully tested and proven methods.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

H20boy,

For freshening up the stitching I recommend you try some Woolite with a very soft toothbrush. Apply the product gently and allow to dwell for maybe 1 minute then wipe off with a MF towel that has been wrung out in hot water. Do not brush the stitching hard to avoid it becoming damaged or it ripping/separating the integrity or strength of the thread. I hope this helps you........

Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

thanks for the VERY prompt reply dave, I've got a woolite hookup, and will take full advantage of it! Now...lets get ready for some football

Old 01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
thanks for the VERY prompt reply dave, I've got a woolite hookup, and will take full advantage of it! Now...lets get ready for some football
H20boy, your are extremely welcome!! Its my call of Duty for you folks here on Jaguarforums........Enjoy "Game day!" I am going to take the 53 F100 out on a drive along the coast with my wife and enjoy some sunshine!

Have a great day!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Leather Stitching
Try to avoid getting leather chemicals on the stitching or in the seams as it can discolour some threads. If the chemical gets in between panels, it may be difficult to get it out. This may even weaken the backing at the seams.
Leather stitching is usually cotton and nylon mix, nylon is attacked by solvents, they melt it and weaken the threads. An oil-based product will attract abrasive dirt and permeated the leather via the stitching, the oil will soften the leather, and the abrasive dirt plus friction may cause the leather to tear and / or the stitching to fail. Do not use a solvent-based cleaner as this may cause the stitching to fail over time
Stitching is somewhat friable if subjected to excessive abrasion. Bearing this in mind the cleaner needs to ‘do the work’ without relying on friction; clean stitching using a medium / hard horse hair brush, a toothbrush or a sponge, spray and work the water-based cleaner into a foam or use Leather Masters™ Foam Cleaner, lightly rub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture. You may need to repeat this process.
Once the stitching and the seating surfaces are clean apply Leather Masters™ Leather Protection this will help to keep the stitching clean and inhibit the ingress of dirt and soil