Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Microfiber Towel Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Microfiber Towel Alternative

I have a black 07 XKR, and the biggest issue I have is keeping it looking good. After yet another try to get the paint swirl free this weekend, I finally decided that the new microfiber towels that I was using were actually contributing to the swirl marks that I couldn't seem to get rid of. After ditching those and just polishing with Zaino Brothers polishing wax, the paint was beginning to look much better. I use a porter cable dual action orbital polisher and cleaned up the residue with plain cotton towels. Any other advice/products to offer?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The California duster always works for me, I think it has parafin wax or some thing on it. Do not buy the knock off's they are junk. "The original California Duster" Paul
What do you use?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm no expert in detailing but from my experience and as you know black is the hardest color to keep clean and also the easiest to see spider web/swirl marks. I've used the most plush microfiber towels from the beginning and swirls are there. it's inevidable over time the swirls will show. IMO...Everytime you wash or quick detail your car.....if there is any dirt in the paint and you wipe over it.....it will eventually create swirls even with microfiber towels. Eventually, you will need to use your PC or have someone detail it to remove the swirls but that also means taking a thin layer off your clear coat. I bought a PC a few years ago but too afraid to burn through the clearcoat....LOL. Probably have to practice on my winter beater but most likely have someone detail it over the summer instead.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With microfiber towels you get what you pay for. Sometimes you run into guys that say they got a huge pack of them for $10! It happnes when they get sold for that kind of price, and the towels are fine.......to wipe bird poop off a plain Jane car lol. Just remember you wiping off a Jag! Lololol

Seriously, like any car products you get what you pay for. Swirls and holograms can't usually be stopped, its just what happens with use of the car. Contaminants and dirt cause the marring and swirls. Proper, two bucket systems, washing and a foam gun are the best prevention for the finish to stay pristine.
The porter cable is a great tool that's more gentle than a rotary, you'd have to try reall hard to do a burn through the clear. If you visit some detailing sites there are some great photos and people on there that can suggest some basic tools to keep you car looking good. Just be prepared for some reading, once you get interested it's hard to stop learning more. IMO cleaning and polishing is part of the fun when owning a Jag, especially after your done and people are blown away by the finishes you achieve. Okay ima stop rambling now

Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 AM

Winny....are you a professional detailer? If so...I was wondering if I can run by my washing/waxing process and products that I use to see if there is anythinng I'm doing wrong or improve on.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 AM

Thanks for all of the input. I have purchased some fairly good microfiber towels, and it seems like the most plush are the ones that do the most damage. I'm going to just use them all for some other purpose and go back to new cotton toweling for the Jag. The PC is a breeze to use and it really is hard to damage the paint with them if you are just using wax or glaze and the correct pad. You would have to be more careful if you were using a polishing or cleaning wax that had abrasives in it or a cutting pad that was designed to take off layers of finish. I would never attempt to do anything like that. I do have a California Duster and it doaes a pretty good job of getting the dust off. Unfortunately, my "garage" is really an $80k carport that is open to the back yard, so i have to keep the car covered even when it is parked at the house.
So, any suggestions on favorite wax products? I have been using Zaino and putting multiple layers on as outlined by the manufacturer, but am wanting to try something new.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 AM

There are several microfiber towels out there as I heard Griots are good but I use Duragloss Plush Microfiber towels. Reason is a friend of mine imports these towels for Duragloss and he gives a few towels every year and I recommended another friend to do the shipping (freight forwarder) and clear customs (customs broker) for him.

As for waxes....Zaino is a good wax....I've used Zaino for a long time on my previous Corvette and it was great. I still use Zaino and Poorboy wax for my winter beaters that are left outside as synthetic wax lasts and protects longer. As for the '08 XKR, '06 SL65 AMG, '10 E350 4matic...... I have switched over to Carnauba base wax. I am currently using Dodo Juice Supernatural wax,Pinnacle Souveran paste, and Wolfgang Fuzion Carnauba Polmer wax and rotating between these waxes. I like Dodo Juice Supernatural (white can in the pic) for black/darker cars and Wolfgang Fuzion for lighter cars.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Lol naw not a pro here. Jus love the whole detailing process. Usually have a cigar when detailing car so it's more likely that I have an excuse to have a good Cuban lololol.
Your waxes are good. Griots, Adams, poorboys, pinnacle etc...... All good stuff.If you really want to see some crazy pricing, go check out prices on any swissvax product. Amazing wax but the price is insane. Some pay it because aftter the wax is applied the beading is so tiny and uniform, you almost wouldn't believe it.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where u guys get the towels and wax? I am new to this

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Detailers domain is good for US residents, and RS car care in Canada are pretty reputable. That's the ones I'd use, others may have suggestions for Europe/UK.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a black car as well however I only drive it on weekends and never in the rain so the paint isn't really subjected to harsh conditions. I also never wash the car or take it through car washes.

I clean it only with Maguires Quick Detailer and a micro fiber towel that I bought at Costco I believe as part of a big pack and I never have swirl marks. I used to use regular waxes and I would spend hours waxing on and waxing off and what a waste of time! I tried so many different waxes from Griots to some obscene $100 per tiny bottle wax and it never looked good. I also bought the PC and spent time with the Orange and Red pads and several different waxes and polishes and it still never looked great. This is when I stopped washing cars and only used the spray wax. Now I never spend more than 15 minutes cleaning the car before I'm out driving, and the paint looks fantastic.

I caught onto this by watching a guy show up at a concours with a dirty car and spray wax and his car looked better than everyones when he was finished....20 minutes later!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you all for the details, guys.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 AM

I do buy the cheap microfiber from Target but use them only for cleaning the wheel wells, door jams or the engine bay. You can tell they're cheap as they feel abrasive on your hand compared to the plush ones. I buy my towels from my buddy.....but if you are looking into the Duragloss plush microfiber you can go to Duragloss website or my buddy's sells them on his website: http://formymercedes.com/mb_results....fiber+Car+Care

I usually buy all my waxes at Autogeek. The ones I currently use:

1. Wolfgang Fuzion: http://autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuzion-...r-car-wax.html

2. Dodo Juice Supernatural: http://autogeek.net/natural-carnauba-wax-200.html

3. Pinnacle Souveran: http://autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html

If you don't want to spend $100+ on a wax but want to use Cuarnuba wax.....I would suggest P21s Wax: http://autogeek.net/p2concarwax.html

If you don't wax frequently then I would suggest a Synthetic wax (last and protects longer) such as Zaino or Poorboys.

For Quick Detailers (in between waxes), I like to use Dodo Juice Red Mist or FK425. I also like to use FK425 to wet the pad before applying the paste wax.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Windigo
.If you really want to see some crazy pricing, go check out prices on any swissvax product. Amazing wax but the price is insane. Some pay it because aftter the wax is applied the beading is so tiny and uniform, you almost wouldn't believe it.
LOL......I actually looked into swissvax a year or two ago. Even $1,265.00 for their Crystal Rock wax was too expensive for my blood. LOL.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Thanks for all of the input. I'll give some of these products a try. I have read that you can put on a synthetic wax like Zaino and then top it with carnauba for a deeper, richer shine. Has anyone done this?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by hughey
Thanks for all of the input. I'll give some of these products a try. I have read that you can put on a synthetic wax like Zaino and then top it with carnauba for a deeper, richer shine. Has anyone done this?
I've done Wolfgang Deep Gloss over Carnauba (same concept....carnauba over synthetic) and love the shine. I don't do it as much as I perfer using carnauba one over the other.

BTW...another QD I like is Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax.

Here is the Finish Kare 425 (FK425), Wolfgang Deep Gloss, Pinnacle Souveran Spray, Pinnacle Swirl Mark, Dodo Juice Red Mist (label was lose so I removed it). I've tried swirl marks removers before from Pinnacle to Poorboys SSR2 and SSR3 (different grit) but had no real luck by applying by hand. I think you need to use a PC to get the best results with swirl remover.

BTW....those guys with cold winters and it's too cold to wash outside and do not like to use the carwash...I use Optimum No Rinse, DP Rinseless Wash and I bought Ultima Waterless wash but haven't tried it yet. The Jag and SL usually is stored in the winter so I hardly wash them during the winter.

Lastly...I also like to use a dab of Optimum Opti-Seal for the windows after a wash. Just remember Opti-Seal and Dodo Juice Supernatural is super concentrated so do spray to much.

Below is some pics of the Duragloss Microfiber (yellow) compared to the Target Microfiber (Blue)

Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by AirCav; 03-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by hughey
Hugh I do that to mine, a good sealant then a good carnuba wax on top to make the paint look deep and pop. I like to detail, but the last few years Ive been too busy to do it all the time, so thats why I like to use a sealant and then top it with carnuba. If I had more time I would likely just use a good carnuba more often. Wouldnt everyone liek more time to play though lol.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by AirCav

Some say that using a foam cannon and leaf blower is the only sure way to avoid swirls. I guess I'm not quite ready to make that jump yet.
I was thinking of buying a leaf blower as my friend says it works. I almost bought one of these last year but decided to dry it myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUuM4...yer_detailpage

Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 PM

This is just a rumor, but I heard Ghost was gonna buy some Crystal Rock and do up his cars and take photos so we can compare. Jus what I heard is all, jus what I heard....lol

Last edited by Windigo; 03-03-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Microfiber Towel Alternative