Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Washing Scratches

Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing Scratches

Need some direction. I just finished washing my XF and noticed several long scratches to the front quarter panel. The scratches extend the better length but don't appear to be deep (they're more noticeable in the shade). I can feel it with my nail. Will these scratches permanently go away after a detail or am I stuck with them for good? Should I try a scratch remover?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 PM

To top it off I just (2hrs ago) installed chrome power vents and the scratches run along next to one

Old 08-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I hope you can see this thread, well worth becoming a member if you can't.

Scratch and stone chip removal.... - - Detailing World -

can you post a picture, maybe hold off on the scratch remover until you've done a bit of research.
Good luck

Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
I hope you can see this thread, well worth becoming a member if you can't.

Scratch and stone chip removal.... - - Detailing World -

can you post a picture, maybe hold off on the scratch remover until you've done a bit of research.
Good luck
The scratches are a little bit larger then hairline and only appear to be in the clear coat (as seen in pics). I was told that a "detail buff" will take care of them. The vehicle has many minor scratches and chips but this one bothers me the most because of the length and knowing I caused it. If a professional buff will wipe it out, perfect! I can live with theat until it needs a detail (piece of mind). Does anyone recommend receiving a detail from the dealer or should I seek someone who only specializes in vehicle details? Thanks again for the help!

Attached Thumbnails Washing Scratches-securedownload1.jpg   Washing Scratches-securedownload2.jpg   Washing Scratches-securedownload3.jpg   Washing Scratches-securedownload.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  19.3 KB

IMO - Do NOT go to the dealer.
They'll either do an average job for a lot of bucks or will charge the earth and call in a pro detailer to do the job for you anyway.

Take the risk out of the equation and call a pro detailer direct. We have one on the board here who you can ask for advice or contact a local detailer if you prefer.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

IMO - Do NOT go to the dealer.
They'll either do an avergae job or a lot of bucks or will charge the earth and call in a pro detailer to do the job for you.

Take the risk out of the equation and call a pro detailer direct. We have one on the board here who you can ask for advice or contact a local detailer if you prefer.
Awesome! I've only detailed myself and only know what the directions on the product tell me. I'm willing to spend good money to have the XF professionally done (especially if it removes the scratches). Thanks!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by finalfan7asy
Awesome! I've only detailed myself and only know what the directions on the product tell me. I'm willing to spend good money to have the XF professionally done (especially if it removes the scratches). Thanks!
where is your location in wisconsin?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Professional Detailer’s Directory - http://www.autopia.org/find-professi...iler/index.php

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by MDJag
where is your location in wisconsin?
Milwaukee

Old 08-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Do not take it to the dealer, they will only make your situation worse. Find a professional detailer in your area, and CHECK for reviews from other satisfied customers. Look at the Autopia.org directory or check with Auto Detailing Networks directory for someone in your area.

In my opinion this should be an easy fix by someone with paint correction or jeweling expertise. This correction to be done right must be done with either a rotary polisher or a D/A, by hand or with Scratch X will get you nowhere.....

Let me check my network of detailers, maybe I can locate someone in your area to help you out......

Just remember, your factory OEM paint is like your teeth, there is only one original......be kind!!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing
Do not take it to the dealer, they will only make your situation worse. Find a professional detailer in your area, and CHECK for reviews from other satisfied customers. Look at the Autopia.org directory or check with Auto Detailing Networks directory for someone in your area.

In my opinion this should be an easy fix by someone with paint correction or jeweling expertise. This correction to be done right must be done with either a rotary polisher or a D/A, by hand or with Scratch X will get you nowhere.....

Let me check my network of detailers, maybe I can locate someone in your area to help you out......

Just remember, your factory OEM paint is like your teeth, there is only one original......be kind!!
For future reference is using a microfiber wash mitt and drying towel recommended? I'm assuming I got some dirt/rock embedded in the mitt or towel which caused the scratches and not the mitt/towel material right? I believe in frequent washes (especially for the rims) but I’m now a little hesitant to do so now until I know I’m using the appropriate cleaning products.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

For future reference is using a microfiber wash mitt and drying towel recommended? I'm assuming I got some dirt/rock embedded in the mitt or towel which caused the scratches and not the mitt/towel material right? I believe in frequent washes (especially for the rims) but I’m now a little hesitant to do so now until I know I’m using the appropriate cleaning products.
i always foam and rinse mine 2 times before i wash. that loosens up or removes any dirt on car. then i wash using a mf mitt using two bucket method with grit guard. after washing i use a leaf blower to dry (less you touch less likely to scratch). make sure you have a good wax on car so blower with be effective getting water off car. hope this helps...

Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 AM

I just found a video on how to wash your car safely. I was doing everything this guy was telling me not to do. I'm going to start using the 2 bucket wash method and take my time drying (not sure why this never occurred to me before). If you got some time check it out.

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)#

Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to learn how to wash a car.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need any help on that scratch removal ???? That is REAL technical work. You mention jeweling..... Just search "Paintxpert" and read about the trademarked "InvisibleGarageProtection" auto paint rejuvenation at it BEST for over 39 YEARS! You need to find a real paint rejuvenation expert, who can ROTARY POLISH....confidently! Black takes a very special touch! Paintxpert

Old 09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have severe car wash marring on your car. Go to you tube and watch some pros wash high end cars. Taking care of an automobile is done almost weekly when it comes to appearance. I wipe my cars down before and AFTER using them. I dont use my cars in the rain. So its easy to keep up with them.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I recommend staying away from MF mitts when properly cleaning or washing a vehicle, bike or boat. The problem with mitts is the nap acts like tons of micro fingers that hold and trap the dirt particles. The ease of removing these particles becomes a hassel and eventually the mitts foul out.

I highly recommend the use of a fluffy grout sponge from Lowes or Home Depot. The very fine pores allow you to blow all the dirt particles out when you squeeze the sponge out in the rinse bucket. (Remember to use a different sponge for your wheel well arches and lower rockers to avoid scratching upper painted surfaces) For drying I only use the SM Arnold Water Sprite which is a synthetic chamois, air dry with a blower and then do a 360 around the vehicle with a fluffy MF towel and Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer........

Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing
I recommend staying away from MF mitts when properly cleaning or washing a vehicle, bike or boat. The problem with mitts is the nap acts like tons of micro fingers that hold and trap the dirt particles. The ease of removing these particles becomes a hassel and eventually the mitts foul out.

I highly recommend the use of a fluffy grout sponge from Lowes or Home Depot. The very fine pores allow you to blow all the dirt particles out when you squeeze the sponge out in the rinse bucket. (Remember to use a different sponge for your wheel well arches and lower rockers to avoid scratching upper painted surfaces) For drying I only use the SM Arnold Water Sprite which is a synthetic chamois, air dry with a blower and then do a 360 around the vehicle with a fluffy MF towel and Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer........
Great. Thanks!