Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Wax or Paste

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax or Paste

I need to ask what is best for the Texas heat wax or paste?

Most of my cars/trucks have always been white, I just got my 97 xk8 coupe in British Racing Green. The body is perfect and paint is great for the year. There is some cloudy/cobwebbing on the bonnet, I don't want to do more harm than good so Just want to get some protection on the paint.

Just need some advice on whats best for the heat here.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never used paste, but wax has never done me wrong on three different black cars in Dallas weather and lots of uncovered parking.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's durability you're looking for, you should probably consider a synthetic sealant product over traditional carnauba.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile wax or paste

Originally Posted by roverman

Most of my cars/trucks have always been white, I just got my 97 xk8 coupe in British Racing Green. The body is perfect and paint is great for the year. There is some cloudy/cobwebbing on the bonnet, I don't want to do more harm than good so Just want to get some protection on the paint.

Thanks in advance.
Just to set it straight,wax can be paste or liquid.If you want the paint to stay perfect keep it out of the sun.With that being said,go the this link,http://www.autogeekonline.net/,they have a great section on detailing and protecting your finish.I don't have any interest in this company,it just a good resoure for maintaining my car,I am also a fan of Griots Garage.
I have about $2.5K of buffers and product on my shelf. You will have to decide if its worth the work to keep up you finish or just get the car repainted.I always grin when guys are looking for the product that you can put on once a year and think that they will have a new car finish for life.
Wax will only offer a month or two to protect a paint job in great shape.They have covers that will protect the finish from UV but that can be a pain.I have sealers that I use on my every day cars and waxes and glaze on my fun cars.Both will have claying and polishing before putting on the final protection.Other may have suggestions,hope they jump in..

Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by roverman

Thanks in advance.
First of all to achieve the proper results or the best finish, based on your description above I would perform the following....

1) Thorough claying of all surface to remove any light to moderate surface contaminants

2) Complete polishing of all paint work, I would suggest Meguiar's M205 using a D/A with a polishing pad.

3) My choice of a "LSP" last step product as in wax or sealant sometimes depends on the paint itself. Meguiar's #21 2.0 is fabulous, especially on dark finishes and in high tempurature climates. I also like the NXT 2.0 and the Gold Class liquid wax. Looks are deep and wet, but no long lasting.

If you decide to wax or seal only and do not polish first, you will not get the best overall results. If this is the case you should look into a 1 step does all cleaner/polish/wax which is easier to apply, but has alot of fillers to cover up scratches.

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 03-24-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglexkr
Just to set it straight,wax can be paste or liquid.If you want the paint to stay perfect keep it out of the sun.With that being said,go the this link,http://www.autogeekonline.net/,they have a great section on detailing and protecting your finish.I don't have any interest in this company,it just a good resoure for maintaining my car,I am also a fan of Griots Garage.
I have about $2.5K of buffers and product on my shelf. You will have to decide if its worth the work to keep up you finish or just get the car repainted.I always grin when guys are looking for the product that you can put on once a year and think that they will have a new car finish for life.
Wax will only offer a month or two to protect a paint job in great shape.They have covers that will protect the finish from UV but that can be a pain.I have sealers that I use on my every day cars and waxes and glaze on my fun cars.Both will have claying and polishing before putting on the final protection.Other may have suggestions,hope they jump in..
Here is a better link;http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html