Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

2.0 diesel x-type only ticks over at startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0 diesel x-type only ticks over at startup

I am new and hope someone can help!
My 05 x-type 2.0 diesel only ticks over on start up, and a buit rough too, it runs like this for for about 20 seconds and then she picks up and runs beautiful.
I have disconnested the electric EGR valve and that makes no difference. I then took it off and cleaned it. Got all the crud out and it is the same. I'd like to know where to look next and if anyone else has experienced this on a similar car?
Thanks
~ David ~

Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  19.3 KB

David, could if be a MAF problem?

TBH I'm not 100% sure but I've seen many related issues and usually somewhere along the line the MAF/ EGR and or associated vacuum lines can contribute.

Have you had it scanned to see if any codes are showing to help narrow it down?
Thats going to be your best bet as a starting point......

Also bear in mind that these engines are also used in the Ford Mondeo, you may get some helpful info there.....just a thought?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:36 AM

Well Thank you all, but the problem persists!
I had it checked [on a Ford monitor] and there were no codes showing.
I can't see any leaks or hear any sucking noises and I'd have thought the problem would be all the time if there were leaks; same for the MAF sensor. As I say, once it is running it is great - though its fuel consumption is a little worse these days.
~ David ~

Old 08-26-2012, 05:52 AM

Hello again, I took it to a tuning expert with Jaguar software, he proved the EGR and MAF are working ok he also found no other 'relevant faults', there was one on the charging circuit however, this because I've had a new alternator a few months ago - does this lead me anywhere? I may have to visit the Jaguar Garage 30 miles away with my cheque book!
Cheers to all, enjoy the sunshine!
David

Old 08-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

David,
Sorry you're not getting vast amounts of help. As Jim said elsewhere there aren't an awful lot of diesel burners about.
Two things - apparently there was an ECM update to address this - has it been done ?
The other - I know nothing about these engines but quite a bit about tractors (sorry) - rough cold idle is almost always due to injectors.
Injector cleaner doesn't work for me - I take them out and clean them. I don't know if this is a DIY job on your car.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:54 AM

Wow! Thank you Steve, this seems more than just a ray of hope, I think it will lead me to the answer! Please advise what the ECM update was and where I can get it!
~ David ~

Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sorry not to be more helpful with the ECM thing. It was mentioned on a pay-the-expert type site - I wonder if Jaguar can advise
Jaguar UK - Jaguar Owner Support
I don't know when biodiesel hit the UK but is there any timing relationship with this problem.
Many people call the ECM an ECU (engine control module/unit) if you're googling for help.
Clutching at straws but have you given it a good thrashing to clean out the DPF?
It can't do any harm.
ps - I've moved your thread to the diesel section to see if you get more bites.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 08-27-2012 at 07:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
David S (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Thank You Steve [again!]
You're right, the car deserves a good thrashing! But not this weather.
I have never put bio-diesel into it so it's not that.
On another note, I find it a bit difficult to navigate this site but will seek out the diesel page ~ more thanks!
I also own a Daimler SP250 [Dart], it was designed by Daimler but built by Jaguar in 1962, the 'dlcentre.com' website forum is a really good source of info and social interaction. I hope to find that here. I shall definitely report back when this problem is sorted.
Cheers pal!
David

Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

The diesel section is here
Diesel variants - All models - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
You can navigate to that then bookmark it so you automatically go there.
Good luck with your problem.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM

I took my x-type to H. R. Fox today in Cheltenham. They said they'd seen this sort of thing before and diagnosed it as needing a software upgrade. They did that, cleaned the car AND did a 32 point visual check to advise me of any issues that might come up. They treated me well and did not charge a fortune.
And the car? Well it is much better now, it starts every time and the consumption is improved. However, H. R. Fox advised me that the problem could possibly return [urgh!] but that is unlikely [Hurrah!].
I shall let you all know how it goes in due course.
David.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Hi DavidS, Starting Diesel engines. I had the same problem when I got my 2.0 XType. the Engineer simply told me that if I pressed the clutch in then started it, it will be OK, this I did and it was fine, in the manual it does say to press the clutch in before starting, let's know what happens.

Last edited by codafile5; 10-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 AM

Well, as I said on 4 Sep, the starting problem was fixed at the Dealer's. Someone has told me since that in order to 'repair' these things sometimes it can be sorted by disconnecting the battery for a good while, and then when it is re-connected the system is often restored - I don't know if this is true.

Anyway, my car's fuel consumption is still down, I still only get 44 to a gallon and it used to do 52 mpg so there is still something amiss!

I just don't know what is wrong.

Cheers all

David