Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

Big cloud of white smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Big cloud of white smoke.

Need some help here with an event re. my S-type 2.7D.
I'd come off the motorway and was accelerating up a slight incline toward Halifax at about 50mph., when there was a HUGE cloud of white smoke emitted, the restricted performance came on, together with mil. light and red light.
OH DEAR I thought as the car came to a stop (my language wasn't fit for print). After a few minutes I could start the car and limp home, but with noises from the engine area. A few hours later at home, I started it up, the lights and restricted performance had gone, there were no obvious maladies, no loss of coolant etc., except for one.
There is a "heavy ticking noise" now from the engine that revs up in sympathy with engine revs. It sounds exactly like a bad tappet from the old days. There is no smoke, no shuddering from the engine, just this heavy tappet rattle. No indication of low oil pressure or anything else.
Does anyone think this could be a damaged cam-follower?
All messages very welcome. (It's a diesel remember!)
Leedsman.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Posting for moral support and a bump.

Anyone??

So this happened after overrun and then on reapplying the throttle.

Sounds like a fuelling issue to me, with raw diesel finding it's way out the back.

Faulty MAP sensor, perhaps?

But as usual, any codes would help the guys.

Hopefully others can help out.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Leeds I'd suggest that the big cloud of white smoke combined with the ticking sound may well be a hosing injector, i.e. the injector has failed partially open.

Can you use an automotive stethoscope (or a good old fashioned long screwdriver against your ear) to listen to each injector, cylinder, areas around the head and block..... virtually everywhere, to pinpoint this noise source?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks for that Jagbuff. You set me off investigating the web for more info. about piezo-electric injectors. This was interesting...

Almost all complaints, and there were plenty, were from Audi/VW owners, and two from M.B. It seems their piezos get an internal 'short' and the micro shuts down the engine whatever. Even if you're on the motorway. Dangerous.

Even more interesting was the cost of VAG piezos. Ł4,500 for a set of four. Yes, Ł4,500 -- no typo. here. Someone there is having a laugh, as we say in UK. Ł4,500 for a set of injectors? That's perilously close to writing some cars off. For injectors???

All injectors of the diesel kind are said to be sensitive to water in the diesel fuel. It seems any water in the injector instantly vaporizes to very high pressure steam and can blow off the nozzle. Curiously, my experience followed from my one and only use of Esso diesel. Normally I have only ever used BP and from the same petrol station. I do not say that there is anything wrong with Esso diesel, only that it seems a co-incidence.

Anyhoo, I've decided to px the Jag. for something else before I get into the realms of financial fantasy with repair costs. Pity really, because it's a very nice car to drive, but I'm not having these kinds of financial penalties for the future. As I've said elsewhere, my luck's run out.

So it's bye-bye Jaguar, you'll be missed.

Leedsman.

BTW, the sum I've been offered for the Jag is pathetic.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

are you going to get another DIESEL?

4500, moneys, you could but another used engine for less than that!

Old 07-12-2013, 03:12 AM

Ronbros, your comment is uncannily right. The dealer where I'm part-exing the Jag was talking about replacing the engine with a second-hand unit. Available for around a grand, grand and a half. I've already bought another diesel car, a Grand Voyager MPV. It was that or a Tranny for some house-move coming up, and this thing is nearly as big. It's the "stow-away" version where all the seats fold into the floor, leaving it completely flat.
I think now that diesel injection has become so high precision, high pressure and high expense, one should consider a petrol which has been converted to LPG gas, IF you want to economize. This fuel is half the price of petrol. I've had a 3.2 XJ6 on LPG gas before, and it was no problem. Reliable, and went just the same. In fact, when the petrol injectors coked up, it still ran perfectly on LPG! (It was the "gas-ring" conversion, no separate injectors).

Leedsman.

n.b. The Chrysler Grand Voyager uses a 2.8ltr. "VM Motori" italian diesel. This co. is equally owned by Fiat and G.M. It's similar to those used in London taxis, which use a smaller version at 2.5ltr. This MPV is the biggest of its type available in UK., and weighs just over 2.5 tons.

Last edited by Leedsman; 07-12-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Addition.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Leedsman

Sorry you are leaving the Jaguar fold but do understand your concerns re expensive potential problems.

I have owned my 2.7D now for 3+ years and have enjoyed every minute of it. It is swift quiet and very comfortable on long journeys but much less practical for shorter local trips to the supermarket etc.

I hope you will still contribute to the forum - I have enjoyed reading your very informative posts and you will be missed.

regards

Howard

Old 12-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Hi Leedsmn, sorry to hear you getting rid of jag diesel, to bad it wasnt here in USA, i,d consider procuring it, but shippng would be far more cost of vehicle!
+ final repairs,i can get Piezo injectors reconditioned at some fair pricing!

actually(knowing me), i'd try to do them myself, quite familier with many types diesl injectors, taking apart and repair them,testing also.
the slightest bit of water intrusion into inj. instantly expands water 1700times its original volume along with the hi-heat it cracks the tip off, injector starts hosing or full fueling, and smokes up the entyre neiborhood,haha. not good for sump oil, or bearings,cyl.walls,etc.

now that chrysler van with 2.8L VM diesel,thats a nice unit, again not sold in USA, but that 2.8D was an option in some Jeep SUV types,Jeep Liberty, they had some early sorting problems, and when Chrysler was going rounds with MB,back few yrs, they dumped,at auction in USA , 152(one hundred fifty two) new in crates, complete 2.8D engine units, nobody was interested in left over diesls, so final bid went to someone outside of US, for the total sum of $7500, USD, for complete lot(makes me sad).

i often wonder who got them and what they were going to be used for!

as a side note, if you ever hear about an AUDI V12 diesel engine for sale,PM me with info, again none were ever sold in USA, we had bad ideas about smoke and noise back 60-70s, but slowly things are changing about diesel cars!

and good luck with your vehicle!
ron