Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

diesel section worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default diesel section worthwhile?

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  19.3 KB

Can't believe I had a few members screaming for this section and there's been little activity.
C'mon all you oil burners out there, cos I'm sure there's more than a few, get posting!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Most of they forum members are in the US, where the Jaguar diesels are not sold, so there is bound to be little interest.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 249

Yeah, I know Fraser....just trying to drum up a little interest.

It'd at least be nice to get a listing together of all the oil burners on the site

Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

What's diesel ?

lol

Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

@Caddy, it is the shortened version for the job title of the bloke that works in the ladies underwear shop.

He spends all day saying "Diesel Fitter" LOL

Old 10-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

one has to spend time in a good diesel car, to appreciate the quality, a few days, or a long trip.

the money saved and the long time between tank fillups, and no bad emission probs.

come to think of it(as we are here today), the US LeMans race is on live, 1st four places are diesel cars, all the petrol cars are way back in comparison!

the race officials, wont let the diesel cars race(heads up, one on one) against the gasoline or alcohol cars, thats gotta tell something.

prob in USA is we cant buy a diesel Peugeot, or an Audi diesel in at least a V8 or V12, even the Jag diesel is only V6, altho impressive car anyway.

youall(LOL) can tell im a performance person.

old saying, if its got big tires or big ****, i like it!!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 252

welcome aboard yorkie, good to have you here with us
Hope you enjoy the site and your time here, some great guys n gals, good info and a few laughs to be had too.
FFA granted

Originally Posted by ronbros
one has to spend time in a good diesel car, to appreciate the quality, a few days, or a long trip.

the money saved and the long time between tank fillups, and no bad emission probs.

come to think of it(as we are here today), the US LeMans race is on live, 1st four places are diesel cars, all the petrol cars are way back in comparison!

the race officials, wont let the diesel cars race(heads up, one on one) against the gasoline or alcohol cars, thats gotta tell something.

prob in USA is we cant buy a diesel Peugeot, or an Audi diesel in at least a V8 or V12, even the Jag diesel is only V6, altho impressive car anyway.

youall(LOL) can tell im a performance person.

old saying, if its got big tires or big ****, i like it!!
Oh ron, I'm with you on ALL of your comments.....a man after my own heart

Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I`ve spent 30 years looking down on Diesel-engined variants of cars I liked, and for good reason: uninspiring and uninvolving, only good for saving a few bucks.

But things have changed: my S-Type 2.7D is the first Diesel car I have bought and paid for with my own money (well, there was a Volvo before, but that was just a stop-gap, even if it was a good one), and none of the very few gripes I have with it are due to it being a Diesel. Costs aside, I think I would even prefer it to a 2.5 or 3.0 petrol, if nothing else because of autonomy!

And it IS quiet, refined, confortable, and torquey when needed. Has all the trinkets I need (and then some, not needed...) and I get as much pleasure from using it as I did, and still do, from using my Subaru (even if it is a rather different kind of pleasure). I would not consider most of the four-pot diesel cars out there as a desirable alternative, and the big V8s are financially even more disastrous than the Subaru, so...this is where I`m at, and I`m happy to be here!

And here too (meaning, please don`t shut down the Diesel section!).

BTW, any suggestions on where to get decat pipes for the S-Type 2.7D? I have been trying, but no luck so far...

DF

The following users liked this post:
GeeVeeXF (01-31-2023)
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 253

Hey there and thanks for the post.....
Have you tried checking out the SA type section? You may get some feedback there!
Failing that one of our vendors nameless performance does exhaust systems etc and may be worthwhle checking out..

Good luck

Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

I agree,, go to a custom exhaust shop and tell them what you need ,

get rid of the cats and(if it has one) the DPF(diesel particulate filter), in the states it does wonders for performance. and the sound improvement is a plus also.

once that gets modded, then search a EMS, computor chip reprogram.

it is hard to tell how much power is not used in the factory program, most likly PLENTY.

some one has to step up and try it!!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Default sure is quiet around here

I cant hear any diesel JAGS!

i wonder why Jag diesels are not sold in USA, are they in CANADA,,or

what countries are they sold in????????????

do they make them in LHD??

RON

Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

HEY, anybody home, this post was last year. LOL

Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 263

In UK and rest of Europe I believe although what countries exactly, I'm not sure.

I find it quite strange as the VW forum I'm part of seems to suggest that there are plenty of Passat diesels and others around in USA / Canada?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I`m in Portugal and there are a few here, X-Types, S-Types and XFs. I have even seen a couple of the new XJs, but I don`t know if they were the Diesel versions. Most likely they are: petrol is expensive in a way most Americans would not believe!

But, altogether, there are very few Diesel Jags here. People prefer BMW, Mercedes or Audis...the amount of 520D`s is ridiculous! I can understand a 320D, but a 520D? Nah....

DF

Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Was at the Castle Bromwich factory watching the new XJ's being built for countries all over the world.Saw a few bound for China, a big up and coming player for Jaguars exports.They were all petrol....diesel fuel quality there isnt good enough to interest any purchases from there.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there

It's my first post, only to inform you that even american research race engine manufacturers are extremelly interested by diesel engines huge advantages over the petrol ones. Petrol is the past, much too complicated, much less productve (simple physics).
I do not think i would have ever bought a Jag if the only choice of engine was petrol. You see i am not wealthy enough to afford a car collection so i use my car in every-day use. So when i had the opportunity of racing my 2.7 td against a 4.0 l turbo one, the guy in it must have felt a litle bit idiot at the end !!! (it was not a drag race, but in real conditions highway+country roads).
Moreover the Tata family is well known, by their past actions, to brink the technical advance to the mass production ! So when Mercedes or Audi or WV or BMW have a diesel variant of every each one of their flagships why live in the past in Jag land ?

I firmly believe that when the politicians will stick their hands out of their ........ and start act and legiferate for what they were elected, but pehaps ont paid for, things in motorworld as many other domains will change radically.

Untill then Gentlemen please consider my best regards