E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

1964 XK-E Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1964 XK-E Question

HI, I'm new to the forum and I have no Jaguar experience although I've been restoring cars for many years. This 1964 XK-E convertible is for sale locally. The owner has had it since almost new. The car is supposed to mint but the big negative is that he installed a Chevy 350 in it years ago. Supposedly it's not butchered. Before I go look at it, what do you guys think it's worth if it is as described ? I've included the one lousy picture I was sent.

Attached Thumbnails 1964 XK-E Question-27973544_571215813231117_8756584699131989611_n.jpg  
Old 02-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The engine destroys the value straight away, and then there is the condition of the car to look at. One can buy almost everything to rebuild an E-type, even the body shell ! However, even though E-type prices are through the roof, (at least they are here in the UK), it's unlikely you'd get your money back.

However if you just want an E-type to run around in in summer, it could be OK. Don't buy without a detailed personal inspection. If the owner has been fastidious and loved the car this will be obvious when you get to look at the car.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:49 PM

So what would you think it would be worth as is, presuming the rest of the car is mint ?

Old 02-27-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi WC43,
To start, the only engine that will fit in an series 1 & 2 XKE without cutting it up is a Ford 302. Otherwise someone has to be cut. If the picture you provided is the car I see 10K for a new bonnet. It appears that there is a large hole in it for the carb/hood scoop. Its also missing the front bumpers. who knows what else is missing.

I wouldn't even give you a guess without knowing the real condition of the rest of the car and if it runs at all. Sorry.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

OK I'm in the middle of getting an older car with a 327 in it up to snuff. One of the big problems is torsion bar and steering clearance and my car was butchered in such a way I had to go to coil overs and completely rework the steering (see restomod link in forum for pictures and progress). So far I've got $30K in the car on top of the purchase price just to get it drivable and reliable (granted a good chunk was due to the fact the "rebuilt engine" was rebuilt with garden tools and ruined). If they didn't screw up the engine install it actually makes for a nice driver but, as noted above, taking this back to a Jaguar engine would be prohibitively expensive because the front rails would been to be restored and a ton of mods reversed. I had pictures of the underside of the car but didn't see the damage to the suspension. I paid $38 for mine and overpaid. Under $20K it would be a great deal, over $30K not so much so think the price range should be $20K to $30K if there are no huge mechanical problems to fix. By the way a good fabrication shop can likely fix that hood and you can buy the center part for a fraction of the cost of a new bonnet. E-Type Body Shell Restoration | Monocoque Metalworks That front bumper is scary though and implies someone else doing work with garden tools. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:00 AM

thanks for the info, they are asking 30K for it, I'm going to look at it to see how bad it is

Old 03-02-2018, 01:34 PM

As noted look at the steering linkage, front torsion bars, engine electrical, carburetor clearance (if you stay away from performance heads you can get a low rise intake manifold and that'll fit without the scoop), and condition of rubber. Good luck and post what you find and whether you buy it. I'm hoping to have mine running by end of next week.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi fellas . . . pls don't think I am nit pickin, nor that I am such a purist that shoehorning a lump into an E-Type is work of the devil . . . Jaguar themselves faced just such a challenge in redesigning the entire front cage to accomodate the extra width of the V12 for the Series3.

Where I do find problems is your use of "mint" to describe any 50+ years old car, let alone an E-Type with its well documented water and condensation traps and very poor corrosion control manufacture. The "catch trays" built into the top front of doors are but one pathway to rusted sills and pillars. Our former and quite magnificent Series1 FHC was a joy to behold and a blood stirring thrill to drive, even after 40 years of ownership. Yet, even I gaped in amazement as the tub was stripped bare for a ground-up re-manufacturs . . . new owner has now upped budget for his resto to a surprising AU$90K and that was for an already fully registered roadgoing E with all matching numbers.

That said, if the worst of the bodges that have been required to fit a V8 are to the space frame like front end, these can be replaced, albeit quite expensive. So also, as stated\, the bonnet (or part thereof), although quoted cost of entire bonnet sounds a bit skinny. Allow more, and watch the freight.

My best advice, with rose coloured glasses nowhere to be seen, is to encourage you. Bringing back to life an E is not for the fainthearted - or poor! Be ruled by your mind . . . not the flawless vision in your heart. Keep asking yourself one enduring question . . . when selling prices for really brilliant, original examples of these cars are so outrageous, why hasn't the seller done so himself? Tough thought, but sobering. Best wishes and keep us advised.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 03-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by WC43
thanks for the info, they are asking 30K for it, I'm going to look at it to see how bad it is
Far too much, I'd say. The car is without its 'raison d'etre', the XK engine.
Anyway, tell us all about it when you get back from viewing.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:20 PM

So, did you buy it?