1967 E-Type OTS Overheating - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

1967 E-Type OTS Overheating

Old 10-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Default 1967 E-Type OTS Overheating

I bought this car upon returning home from VN in 1973. I used it as my daily driver as a college student. After college and a few life changes, I parked it and it stayed with me for 32 years. In 2012, after exhaustive research, I decided to take it to a very well respected restoration facility. They have done work for Jay Leno, Marriott and even the Emir of Kuwait. My car was in good hands! My instructions to them were to restore it to precisely the condition it was in when it rolled off the factory floor in 1967. They cautioned me about what I was asking, but i agreed to proceed. Six years later, I got it back. It's spectacular! Literally a NEW 1967 E-Type. With that said, it now overheats. As my daily driver in '73, it ran quite warm, but never overheated. The engine was disassembled 100%, cleaned and meticulously restored. The radiator is new. I have not begun to fix the problem, however, I would like some ideas from....anyone...to limit the time I spend scratching my head.
Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-04-2018, 10:28 AM

Hi Mark,
You say it's overheating, does it actually boil over or just read high on the gauge?

Assuming that it's boiling over, the first thing I would check is that the cooling fan is coming on and turning the correct direction.

Then check that you are running 50/50 water & glycol.

The pressure cap would be next -
  1. Does it seal on the seat in the radiator neck?
  2. Does it hold the proper pressure? Should be able to have it checked at an auto parts store.
If I remember correctly for every 1 psi the boiling point of 50/50 coolant increases 1.5 degrees F.

The thermostat would be next -
Did the rebuilder put the correct thermostat in? Jaguar's can over heat if the wrong style of t-stat is installed. See article on Coventry West website

Jaguar XKE Thermostat Information | Coventry West

Old 10-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Could also be there is an air bubble in the circuit or in the pump or a bad water pump. If you have a thermal camera or can borrow one see if the radiator is actually getting hot and that all the relevant hoses are also heated. Could point to the problem. FLIR makes a good one that goes on your phone or a more expensive hand held unit. Were I to bet money I'd bet something got into the loop and clogged the radiator as that is really common in older cars. Best of luck!

Old 10-09-2018, 11:55 AM

I’ve owned a 67 OTS for 28 years and drive it 300 miles a year mostly on two day vintage rallies. My car was 100% original and on hot days it would overheat especially when stopped at idle.

Almost St five years ago I installed a CoolCat electric radiator fan replacing the original two blade fan powered by a very weak little motor.

Heating problems are are totally gone no matter what exterior temps I’ve encountered so far. I have done several rallies where the temperature exceeded 100 degrees. It’s hard to believe how effective it is. And it’s eliminated having the drivers eyes glued to the temp gauge instead of the road.

I realize if if you’ve spent a fortune returning your E Type to factory originality it’s hard to consider a modern aftermarket part but if you are going to drive in real world conditions this is a solution for you.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Should have been “drive it 3000 miles a year”

in in other words- a lot of real miles.