E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Help Needed Bleeding Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed Bleeding Rear Brakes

List:
I have a 1973 S3 2+2 E Type USA spec. I am trying to bleed the rear calipers for the first time and having a little trouble. I read factory manual. Removed lower seat squab, unbolted lower seat back section, removed seat belts and I can't get the lower section out so I can get to whole access panels for calipers. The seat section seems attached at the top. I have pushed up to release but to now avail. Can someone share the trick on this to remove so i don't damage it
Thanks so much.
Jim

Old 02-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

do like i did . buy a long handle 7/16 box end and heat /bend the end 90% works good .

Old 02-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. After much patience, a few pints and a great super bowl, I have figured this out. There are two brackets attached to the body behind the lower seat back. The manual states to unbolt the seat back and push it up to release from the bracket. It would not budge! The round frame section of the seat back rests in the bracket. It is like the letter J with more curl on the bottom. I had to use a long screw driver to get in between the bracket and seat back to bend the bracket out slightly. After that, I could get the seat back out. Sounds easy and after you have done it successfully, it is. Being my first time on the new Jag I didn't want to damage the original beautiful seats. Now it is time to flush and bleed the rear brakes! Sure wish i could change the rotors without dropping the whole rear suspension.