E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Independent car inspectors.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Independent car inspectors.

Firstly. Apologies to moderators if I am posting this in the wrong place. In my search for a E-Type. Can anyone recommend a car inspector. When I find a car or cars that I am interested in I would like to have a professional eye inspect it before I commit to buying a flight to go and look for myself and test drive a car.
Thank you.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

there are professional car brokers that will go look at a car and inspect it for you. I'm not sure who is the best at this but someone will likely chime in.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I imported an E-type from the US to the UK earlier this year and used Road Ready Inspections, but I would not recommend them! They were one of the biggest I could find, but I got stung! They carried out 2x inspections for me (2x different engineers), the first seemed to pick up every little detail which put me off buying the vehicle, but the second lead to me purchasing the car. They missed so many things and apart from the rust and filler problems, the most obvious was there was no oil pressure when hot! This is such a basic thing to check and should have been noticed on test drive. When I stripped the engine it had been filled with gear oil which is much thicker and has a significant smell! So really the report is only as good as the engineer inspecting it! Good luck

Old 11-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would try to find an E-type restoration shop in the area that the car is in or as a fallback an English car shop. For example if you find a car in Texas, call ClassicJaguar.com. If in SoCal then XKs Unlimited, and in the MidAct then Monocoque Metalworks | Jaguar E-Type body panels and shell restoration. If you find one local, Bay One Customs in TN doc'd parts of their restoration of an e-type on YouTube.

Good luck.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I've used Automobile Inspections, LLC on many occasions in past 15 years to check out old Buicks, BMWs and recently Jaguars who saved me from taking a bad plunge many times on the 10 footers who take a pretty picture yet can be ugly upon further review. With Jaguar if vehicle had good inspection, I paid seller a non refundable fee on deposit to have it further looked at by an authorized Jaguar dealer for a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Not the cheapest way to go; but, well worth the expense to me.