E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

My E Type in RM Sotheby's

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My E Type in RM Sotheby's

After a 2 year restoration and a year enjoying the car, the time has come for me to part with this magnificent car.

I don't have a 'Lot #' yet, but should soon. I have a PDF that tells the whole story on the car.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful automobile. I would love some additional pictures. My restoration is a 66 OTS in the same color scheme. An interior shot would be helpful.

Good luck with your sale.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Great looking car, good luck with your sale.

The following users liked this post:
AHudson (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs
Beautiful automobile. I would love some additional pictures. My restoration is a 66 OTS in the same color scheme. An interior shot would be helpful.

Good luck with your sale.
Hey, thanks for that. I have more shots than you want, I assure you!

For some reason, the navy blue looks grayish in these photos, but I assure you its not. Some photography person could tell you why I'm sure. I added the rear suspension photo just because I like it!

Word of caution: use a known supplier or you'll be sending stuff back that doesn't fit or is just poorly made. My 'bargain' carpet set off ebay was great until the vendor wouldn't accept a thoroughly ill-fitting return. Then they went under.

SNG Barratt has fantastic materials for our cars. Stick with people who have an earned reputation.

Attached Thumbnails My E Type in RM Sotheby's-jag-seat-belts.jpg   My E Type in RM Sotheby's-jag-console-radio.jpg   My E Type in RM Sotheby's-jag-interior-passenger-g.jpg   My E Type in RM Sotheby's-jag-suspension-left-rear.jpg  
mbwillgrubs (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

That is an absolutely incredible looking machine and a credit to the people who carried out the restoration. Simply beautiful.

AHudson (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

just another fantastic car being sold by adams. always the very best examples and always a rare opportunity for a buyer looking for an amazing example. adams has been and remains a credit to car collectors/owners the world around!!!

I hope she brings the money!!!!

AHudson (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM

What year and is that the pearlescent blue? I would like to know where you purchased the paint and its code.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ferraripete
just another fantastic car being sold by adams. always the very best examples and always a rare opportunity for a buyer looking for an amazing example. adams has been and remains a credit to car collectors/owners the world around!!!

I hope she brings the money!!!!
Thanks Pete! Glad to see you here. I'm going to make my wife read your post aloud to prove I'm a credit to someone, somewhere!

Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs
What year and is that the pearlescent blue? I would like to know where you purchased the paint and its code.
The car is a '67, and yes, it's Opalescent Silver Blue. Sadly, the modern paints don't allow a good duplicate 'out of the can', though some manufacturers have 'close' colors. Actually Honda - the blashemy! - has a close color, but the metallic flakes are too large. Aston has one but it's slightly too green in the light. Sigh.

So we (well, the painter dude and restorer) experimented mightily and I think he blooming nailed it.

BTW, are you the 'Grubbs' of Grubbs Infitniti/Jaguar/Lexus et cetera of Dallas? If so, I bought a car from you folks. Dealt with a super nice guy named Pete Hankins.

Last edited by AHudson; 12-14-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:43 AM

Interesting on the color story. I was afraid of that. I am performing most (if not all) the work myself (I am not the Grubbs of Grubbs, et.al.) and probably poorer than said Grubbs so I compensate with labor.
I hope you don't mind but with your car being the exact version of what mine should end up looking like I might bug you for information.
Oh and what year is it?

Old 01-01-2017, 07:25 PM

Now listed in the online catalog for RM...

1967 Jaguar E-Type Series 1 4.2-Litre Roadster | Arizona 2017 | RM Sotheby's

And the story of the car itself...

Attached Thumbnails My E Type in RM Sotheby's-jag-left-side.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 01-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Wonderful E-Type! There has been a noticeable weakening in E-Type values over the past 10 months. Hopefully your car will turn that around at the top of the range!

Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by SCMike
Wonderful E-Type! There has been a noticeable weakening in E-Type values over the past 10 months. Hopefully your car will turn that around at the top of the range!
I agree, but I've seen so many claiming 'restored' that have tended to blur that definition. For those cars, and the volume of supply that poured out relative to the strong sales, I think the results were disappointing.

There's another E type at the Sotheby's sale from a seller who regularly hits low-mid 200's on his cars. Mine goes Thursday, his goes Friday. We shall see!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, wonderfully, amazingly perfect. Stunning restoration, every inch. Your buyer got an amazing deal, IMO.