E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

New Member Saying Hello

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 09:07 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New Member Saying Hello

Good Morning,

I'm actually not new to this forum but have been part of the XK group for quite some time and currently have a 2002 XKR. I recently purchased a '71 Coupe that was fully restored and Chevy crate-engine converted back in 1993. The documentation on the process is unreal as the prior owner wrote down everything that he did even down to nuts and bolts.

Unfortunately the car has deteriorated somewhat since that time and I hope to return it to it's former glory. However it's still a solid car which is nice. I'm also a Corvette enthusiast so I am fine with the conversion. My ultimate dream E-type is a series 2 convertible, but the price on this one was too good to pass up. I've become very familiar with the XK's from owning several and hope to do the same with the e-type. But for now it will be a learning experience. Look forward to discussing with you guys on this forum!

Btw if anyone is in/near east Tennessee it would be great to connect.

Rob

Last edited by crtfour; 09-23-2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added a line
Old 09-23-2020, 06:57 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome Rob,
There is quite a bit of knowledge on this site, as well as others with E-Types running American muscle under the Bonet . Search through this forum and you will find them.
Post some photos of your coupe so we can all enjoy it. I am in the process of restoring a 68 coupe.
Good luck with you E.
Stay safe.
Bill.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Received 675 Likes on 488 Posts

Welcome! I went from a 2004 XKR to an XKE myself (granted I'd had two other XKEs back when they were near new). You'll love the simplified electrics and the fact you can do most things yourself, working through the age and Lucas electric issues will test you but it is worth the effort. Best of luck!

Old 09-25-2020, 04:02 PM
Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi Rob,
Welcome!

I was visiting West Knox yesterday. We are hoping to move down there next year. As you may know the local JCNA Club (Smokey Mountain Jaguar Club) folded earlier this year. I was very disappointed to hear that, since I am going to move down there and the Jag of Mich Club is very active.

I hope they didn't modify any of the frame rail tubes to fit the Chevy engine in. Those tubes are a special alloy and need to be brazes and not welded. The Jaguar shop manual recommends not to weld them. I have seen a lot of butchered frame rails to fit V8 in. The worst was a Chrysler engine, if it had a front end accident the frame rails would have buckled like and accordion. No thought was put into how different forces would react on the structure.

I think, one of the best E-type books to read is "E-type End of an Era". It will give you a lot of info on the good and bad of and E-type.

Again, Welcome and ask away, someone will try to help you with your questions.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:23 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys for the replies ; I look forward to the challenges and also the enjoyment of these cars. Bob S, yes I actually joined the Smokey Mountain Club only to have announced that they folded about 2 months later. The only other clubs I know of down here are the Blount British Car Club (Maryville, Blount county) and the English Auto Society of Knoxville. Would be nice to meet up with you once you make it down.

Rob