Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New XKR owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New XKR owner

Morning all,

I just purchased on 07 XKR and found this forum this morning. I've been in a state of awe since picking up the new for me car. I was driving a G35 coupe, and don't miss it one bit. The closest I've had to this quality was my old BMW 850 coupe and 7 series sedan, but the Jag has them beat hands down. I'm looking forward to getting to know the car better. Seems like the previous owner had not changed any of the factory settings, as they were all in the off position when I started exploring. With only 10k miles, it is still virtually new - even the smell. Looking forward to more chats.

Paul

Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really envy you. I hope to get one of these one day, a black xkr coupe. Good luck with it, and drive it like she deserves, hard.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Default thanks

So far I've been very conservative in my driving, but I'm sure that will change as I get accustomed to the car. I did a little bit of hard acceleration when I went for the short test drive, and was very impressed with the performance. I had every intention of spending time researching and driving several cars I was considering, but that all went out the window when I got behind the wheel of my new baby.

Paul

Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the forum.....

Old 03-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

talking about upgrading from g35 to XKR my dad had an 850 for a short period of time when i was a kid, they are still GORGEOUS cars! saw one lastnight by chance, rare and sexy...id just hate the upkeep lol 7s are always to die for also glad you like your XK too!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Default getting used to it

Thanks. The 850 was fun to drive on the open road, but really felt restrained around town, which is where I do most of my driving. Plus, having two of everything in the engine compartment, there was always something giving me a problem. I'm getting used to the XKR, both the feel of it and the looks I get. Of course, being Ebony, I am dusting and detailing it at least once a day right now. The trees are pollinating like mad.

Paul

Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

850's are beautiful cars.. I'd love to build one with an LS2 one day.. I can't imagine trying to get parts for it though?? Will a BMW dealership even acknowledge that they exist anymore?

Old 03-30-2009, 05:26 PM

It was always easier for me to order parts online after I figured out what was wrong with it, then take the car and the parts to the local garage that specialized in BMWs. Had much better luck with that than trying to deal with the local dealer. There were a couple of 8 series forums that saved my brain on more than one occasion.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome and congrats

Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Default no pics yet

I haven't had a photo session with my new baby yet, but will soon. I clayed the car a couple of weekends ago and have gotten four coats of Zaino wax on it so far and have a couple more to go. The polymer wax really make the car look wet and helps to keep it clean. My California duster is getting a daily workout, too. I knew black was going to be hard to maintain, but those things help, especially with all of the pollen in the air. The biggest problem I have is getting the cover on at night. The wax makes the car so slick it's hard to keep the cover from sliding off before I get it around the rearview mirrors.

I'm taking my first road trip this weekend and will be at the coast (Texas coast, not too pretty). Looking forward to getting out on the highway and trying some things out. I'm very curious about the adaptive cruise control.

Cheers

Paul

Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats

I bought an 06 XKR a few months ago and am still excited just to drive it to the nearest store. I am wondering what you were told about oil changes. I have heard many different opinions but haven't seen anything official from the manufacturer. Best of luck!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by hughey
..and have gotten four coats of Zaino wax on it so far and have a couple more to go. The polymer wax really make the car look wet and helps to keep it clean.

Interesting and waxing!

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...ection=_14#_14

Old 04-24-2009, 04:27 AM

Check out Zaino's store site (www.zainostore.com I think). They have a little bit different take on the layering process. Of course, each brand is different and each product line is designed to work differently. Zaino goes on very thin and light. It is easy to apply and buff, but does take multiple thin coats to get full protection. It is also designed to add depth to the shine with multiple coats. Maybe that's all just bs to get you to use more of the product, but it has seemed to work with my cars. I haven't used their newest product yet, which is a wipe on, leave on final coat, but I have it. I'm just waiting for the pollen monster to quit dumping on my shiny black car. It is litterally seconds after wiping down that I see new yellow stuff on the car, so I don't want to apply something that takes several minutes to dry and that doesn't get buffed afterwards. I'm too afraid I'd end up with all of that pollen stuck to the product.
One more thing about the layering with Zaino is that it does a great job of filling in swirl marks with successive coats. On a black car that's a few years old, that is a really good thing. I do my best in the washing process and never let anyone touch my car, but on black those swirls still pop up.
I'm off to the coast and a nice freeway drive. Hope to get some good pics this weekend so everyone can see my new baby.

Paul

Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 AM

I vote for Paul to come to CT and Zaino the heck out of my XKR Porftfolio!! I am sure it will be AMAZING after you've finished your waxing, so please post pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 AM

Well, the trip to the coast was a bust as far as the weather was concerned. Windy and overcast the entire weekend. Now it's going to rain in SA all week, so no pics until the weekend, but I will get some posted. I hate to see my black car dirty, but I guess I'm going to have to live with it this week. We desperately need the rain, so I shouldn't complain.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Default Pics

I just uploaded a few pics of the XKR after another layer of Zaino wax. Photos were taken with my iPhone, so the quality isn't great. I'll see if I can attach them here, too. Anyway, here is the baby (beast).

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails New XKR owner-xkr-.jpg   New XKR owner-xkr-2.jpg   New XKR owner-xkr-3.jpg