XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Won't start after new battery is installed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start after new battery is installed.

P lease help! I'm a new owner to a 2010 xkr that I recently purchased with 47K Miles. I let the car sit for 3 weeks and the battery was dead. I read a lot of posts on this forum and attempted to "jump start" the battery with a donor battery and had no luck. The electronics came on progressively but there was never enough juice to start the car. I got a brand new AGM battery and installed it yesterday. When I went to start it, it STILL won't start. Not even a crank or click of any sort. I do have full electronics now but, I don't understand why it won't start. There aren't any warning lights on and nothing is different other than the car doesn't start. I know this car is chuck full of electronics. Am I missing something that I have to do or reset after a new battery install??? Please help me. I don't have a very local Jaguar dealership to take the car to and am hoping that this is a "simple" fix. Anyone else have this issue with their 2010 XKR?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

<p>Dagny - most folks on here use some type of&nbsp;battery tender to keep the battery charged when not in daily or frequent use. &nbsp;As for why you can't get her started, I will defer to those more knowledgeable.</p><p>As this is your first post, please stop by the New Member area and post an intro - in return, you will receive a warm welcome and useful tips for forum navigation.</p><p>New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

The following users liked this post:
Margaret P. Clarke (09-25-2019)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

The first (actually, second - see the next paragraph) thing I would do is take that new AGM battery back to where you bought it and have that retailer test it to make sure that it is fully charged and fully functional and that it is a proper replacement for the OEM battery. If everything checks out OK and after you correcly reinstall it your car's dashboard and touchscreen power up but your car still doesn't turn the starter motor over, I would suspect a bad starter or something fried in the starter circuit. I haven't checked, but I'd see if there's a fuse for the starter and if there is and it's still good then I'd suspect the starter or the solenoid. Hopefully, other Forum members can give you better advice.

Another thing is that the XK/XKRs won't start unless the brake pedal is depressed. Try pressing the starter button BEFORE you step on the brake pedal. Inadvertently pressing the brake pedal multiple times causes a high pedal, which can make it much harder to close that starter interlock switch and it gives the impression that the car won't start. I'd try this first, before my above suggestion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

(Sent from my cellphone so it is really hard to edit).

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
David's XKR (04-09-2016), Margaret P. Clarke (09-25-2019)
Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

check the fuse panel in the engine compartment make sure all the fuses are good I had a problem where one fuse was out and when I replaced it car started dont remember which one so check all of them

Old 09-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

This may or may not have any bearing on your particular situation, but when you are attempting to start the car is your driver's side door open? My 2010 XKR will not start if the door is open more than half way. Close the door all the way and try it again.

Margaret P. Clarke (09-25-2019)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:52 PM

I am new here so please have patience! I need to find out the exact type of battery to purchase for my XJR 1996 Jag....has been sitting too long and battery is done.
Autozone "chose" a battery after looking at my specs but it will turn on lights only but will not crank. What are the cold and other cranking amps required.
Vin: SAJPX1140TC

Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Maybe the key fob is the problem. Do you have another one to try?

Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

A 12V battery is a 12v battery no such thing as wrong one!
Have you tried bypassing the key FOB using your emergency key? see your owners manual if you don't know how!
are headlights bright? new batteries often need charging before use.............

Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by marybeth
I am new here so please have patience! I need to find out the exact type of battery to purchase for my XJR 1996 Jag....has been sitting too long and battery is done.
Autozone "chose" a battery after looking at my specs but it will turn on lights only but will not crank. What are the cold and other cranking amps required.
Vin: SAJPX1140TC
Just an FYI https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...l6-4.0l-590cca
Let the internet be your friend

Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Maybe the key fob is the problem. Do you have another one to try?
using actual key since nothing "electric" including remote fob is working...put new battery in, all dash lights lit, steering column started adjusting, but no "click" , as in no attempt to start ...car has been sitting a long time so someone suggested the started had "seized", suggested tapping on it from underneath engine to slightly dislodge it from possible rusted position while starting to crank...?????

Old 02-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Nothing wrong with giving the starter a few love taps with a hammer, old school trick right there. I would suggest insuring the battery is fully charged as stated above, and trying all the other advice in this thread.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by britannia
A 12V battery is a 12v battery no such thing as wrong one!
Cheers, Adrian
Not always so. Depending on the chemistry they have different charging needs. Some are wrong for an S-Type, for example, and will never be properly charged (it has a smart charger tuned for lead acid and nothing else).

Newer cars are getting more "awkward" due to all the electrical items...

Old 02-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Gosh, this makes for annoying, frustrating reading . . .

. . . until I realized that once more, a 5-6 month old thread (presumably the OP [Dagny] resolved, sold, or blew up his 2010 XKR) was then hijacked (I guess unwittingly) by a noob.

Best and kindest advice would have been . . . please, start a NEW thread!
(I'll lie down now)

britannia (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Better yet, this is the wrong Forum!
Marybeth please start a new thread under XJ's. This Forum is for Al. bodied XK's..................And I didn't notice the dates, silly me!
Of course, you should get similar advice! same engine etc............
Do you have a code reader? mandatory for modern cars!!!
I have two; carry them in both Jaguars including a spare computer module for my wife's XK8....
A while back I fixed a XKE with stuck starter by rocking it in gear; sorry, no help to you...........
Good Luck, Adrian

cat_as_trophy (02-26-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
The first (actually, second - see the next paragraph) thing I would do is take that new AGM battery back to where you bought it and have that retailer test it to make sure that it is fully charged and fully functional and that it is a proper replacement for the OEM battery. If everything checks out OK and after you correcly reinstall it your car's dashboard and touchscreen power up but your car still doesn't turn the starter motor over, I would suspect a bad starter or something fried in the starter circuit. I haven't checked, but I'd see if there's a fuse for the starter and if there is and it's still good then I'd suspect the starter or the solenoid. Hopefully, other Forum members can give you better advice.

Another thing is that the XK/XKRs won't start unless the brake pedal is depressed. Try pressing the starter button BEFORE you step on the brake pedal. Inadvertently pressing the brake pedal multiple times causes a high pedal, which can make it much harder to close that starter interlock switch and it gives the impression that the car won't start. I'd try this first, before my above suggestion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

(Sent from my cellphone so it is really hard to edit).
After a whole day of trying everything else, pressing down really hard on the brake pedal did the trick.

Thanks Stuart!

The following 2 users liked this post by David's XKR:
drlevbot (06-24-2018), Lothar52 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts
Default Hard To Press Brake Pedal To Start Engine

David,
You're welcome, and I'm glad I could help. I'd appreciate a in my post #3, above.

Click this link: Jaguar Workshop Manuals > XK (X150) V8-4.2L (2008) > Lighting and Horns > Brake Light Switch > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > Customer Interest for Brake Light Switch: > JTB00197 > May > 10 > ABS/Starting - Hard To Press Brake

Try pressing the START button before stepping on the brake pedal. If you still have trouble pressing the brake to start, the repair described in the above link may be necessary.

Stuart

Lothar52 (04-17-2016)
Old 07-20-2020, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dagny
P lease help! I'm a new owner to a 2010 xkr that I recently purchased with 47K Miles. I let the car sit for 3 weeks and the battery was dead. I read a lot of posts on this forum and attempted to "jump start" the battery with a donor battery and had no luck. The electronics came on progressively but there was never enough juice to start the car. I got a brand new AGM battery and installed it yesterday. When I went to start it, it STILL won't start. Not even a crank or click of any sort. I do have full electronics now but, I don't understand why it won't start. There aren't any warning lights on and nothing is different other than the car doesn't start. I know this car is chuck full of electronics. Am I missing something that I have to do or reset after a new battery install??? Please help me. I don't have a very local Jaguar dealership to take the car to and am hoping that this is a "simple" fix. Anyone else have this issue with their 2010 XKR?
try jiggling the shifter as you crank it over when in park

Old 07-20-2020, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Holy revived threads Batman!!

Keith, you do realise that you've replied to a thread where the previous post was from 2016!?

I'd think if they couldn't start it by now it'll no longer be in their possession

The following 4 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
barnsie (07-21-2020), Cee Jay (07-20-2020), old_dawg (07-21-2020), peterv8 (07-20-2020)