X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my X-type will not start!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my X-type will not start!

'02 3.0 automatic
So the other day, I start the car to go to work and hear a pop near the fuses relays. Got to work fine, then car would not start. Moved none essential fuses to ignition fuses( temporary fix) then car started. Then yesterday hear the pop again, bought and replaced all of them. Still no start, my thinking is it's the ignition switch or the starter( battery, altenator both look fine). Any help would be much appreciated.
Car clicks and lights dim on dash when turning the key.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

ant, when you say the engine will not start, are you meaning the engine will turn over but will not fire, you turn the key and hear a single click with no rotation of the engine, or that you turn the key and get nothing?

Based on your statement that you are seeing the light dim (and I am going to assume the engine is not rotating), this is telling me that the starter is seeing power (heavy current draw). So, this pretty much leads me to think you have 1 of a few problems. First, make sure the battery is at full charge. Now, put a multimeter across the battery (red lead to positive, black lead to negative). The multimeter should be reading 12.6 VDC (more than 12.5 VDC is good). If you don't have this, your battery is bad, replace battery. Now, with the multimeter still connected, attempt to start the car. Does the multimeter stay above 11.0 VDC as you start the car? If no, bad battery, replace battery. If yes, move the red lead of the multimeter to the large terminal on the starter (has black wire attached to it) where the battery power comes in. When attempting to start the car, does the voltage remain above 11.0 VDC. If no, you have a bad starter wire between the battery and the starter or there is a high resistance connection at one of the ends of the wire. If yes, then you have a bad starter.

The "pop" that you are hearing is the starter solenoid engaging most likely. You don't hear it normally because of the engine turning over. Hopefully this gets you back on the road.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris it seems to be the battery, from what you said. Voltage dipped down to 9V, but car did start.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ant, at 9V, yes, the car will not start. First verify that the battery has a full charge by placing it on a charger for a few hours. Repeat the tests. But, if they still fail, then you are more than likely looking at a bad battery. Also make sure that the terminals on the battery are clean. Even a slight resistance on these connections and lead to what you are seeing. Use of a di-electric grease may be advisable too to prevent future corrosion.