E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

repaint advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default repaint advice

have a 71 e type- came to this country with an automatic, steel wheels and primrose paint- exchanged the automatic for a 4 speed and bought set of dayton wires- ready for repaint with engine out for service- market (if/when i ever sell) for a primrose car seems a bit limited so am curious re color change- this is a series 3 coupe- am interested in what you guys think regarding the merits or downside of a switch- how much do i hurt resale value? considering dark blue or brg

Old 09-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Merits - a dark metallic blue or BRG would look better IMO. You may also want to consider a dark metallic green. You can get the paint codes by doing some research.

Downsides - A major color change will be fairly involved $$$ since you have to remove a lot of parts for a thorough job. It might impact the originality somewhat but since you already did a transmission change it shouldn't affect it too much.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

I suppose we all have to keep vehicle value in mind event if there is no immediate intention of selling.

Your E-Type has moved beyond current vehicle depreciation cycle into the classic / collectors market.

Strange standards can apply here! A 'matching number' vehicle with original paint and trim and low miles attracts the most serious collectors. At the other extreme, a nut and bolt restoration resulting in a car far more perfect than ever it was the day it left the factory, has a high value to concours enthusiasts. In between comes the sound, well maintained example with good history.

Apart from those who want an original example, colour will not be especially important and I'd agree with you that primrose is perhaps not the most widely appreciated. The important consideration with a colour change is to ensure it is complete. This includes all the shut faces of the doors and bonnet. To achieve this, the glass needs to be removed as does all the exterior trim and preferably the interior. If you do this yourself, it is very time consuming; if you have someone do the work for you, very expensive.

Graham

Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I would not change the original colour of an E Type.

Primrose in good condition is quite a striking colour; stand out from the crowd!

Post up a picture or two.

PS moving you to the E Type section.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Changing colour - yes an involved job, as you have to repaint everywhere !!

I have no doubt that with your car you are looking at a very faded primrose colour, but believe me they look much better when new, as the original was subject to serious fading issues in its time. Modern paints are a lot better, so if money is an object, keeping the same colour will be cheaper. On the other hand, if you really don't like the colour then change it, it will not affect the value much provided it is a genuine Jaguar E-type colour, so don't go for a metalflake job or anything hot-roddy.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty well decided to stay with primrose- the fact that it might not be everyone's choice matters less and less- realized that the first e type i remember seeing was primrose- and that i liked it a lot
so i can leave the interior alone- engine bay stripped while heads are at the shop- any sage advice re stripping paint?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Stripping paint

I've done a lot of this, and , if you are doing it yourself, the quickest way is a chemical stripper...One panel at a time, the paint almost falls off by itself....
It is very caustic, and you must protect your skin and eyes.....Should be done either outside, or with all the garage doors /windows open, and exhaust fan.
Second best way, IMHO, is 80 grit emory, with a random orbital sander...It is time consuming, but leaves the surface ready for initial primer....
I do like Soda blasting, but on a complete body, it's very difficult to clean up, and wash down, for painting. Biggest advantage, is that it doesn't allow the metal to rust, until you wash it off.
Other than soda blast, get the bare metal covered with something immediately, as it will begin to rust while you are looking at it....
Edward

Old 12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it's a blond

just acquired my first jaguar. primrose/black 69 fhc. not my first choice in colors but for price and condition I said who cares! it's driving that little yellow rocket ship matters, is it not? so I just think of it as a beautiful blond!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default stripping paint

Hi,
For stripping paint, I plan to go with "soda blasting". It's OK for the environment, easy on the metal work that's in good shape. If a vendor is in your area, they can strip the vehicle in your driveway. I've done the scrappin and chemical "thang" when I did a full resto of my 1st gen mustang cvt. Was not pretty or healthy!
Just another way to attack....
Happy Motoring...

Old 12-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you chemical strip, it hitting it first with 80 grit "de-skins" the paint for better penetration and creates more surface area for the stripper. In my experience, the paint comes off pretty easy but the red primer will be more stubborn.

And before you take anything off, take lots and lots of pictures. And then take some more. Then be sure to head to Costco or Sams and buy a palette of gallon zip locks then tag and bag.

Have fun!