E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Stalling while coasting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 07:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stalling while coasting

Hi all!
I finally got my E out on the road for the first time in several years. The first drive (about 5 miles) went great, nothing to report. The second drive went not as great, but i'm still counting it as a success since I made it back home. As I was coasting (whether to a stop or just while driving) the engine would die quietly. If I put it back into gear while moving it would kick start the engine and get going again, but at stops it died once (no I didn't just stall it, it died while holding the clutch fully in while stopped). I googled around a little and saw some other cars with similar issues, and the first thing they suggested was a clogged idle control valve or IAC, then to also put some carb cleaner on various vacuum hoses to check for leaks. Does the E have an idle control valve? I'm still pretty new to this, so wasn't sure. I'm hesitant to try adjusting the idle since it's now fall and the weather is much colder and it's currently adjusted well for the summer.

As a side note, for a little while the engine had a whine to it like a belt or pulley was stuck/tight, so I need to look into that too, but I don't know if that's related. Figured I would mention it just in case. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-18-2022, 04:04 AM
Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts

What carbs do you have? Could just be your tickover is set too slow. The throttle linkages get a bit stuck sometimes, so when you adjust the idle to a proper speed at rest, after a period of driving when everything loosens up, the throttle can return fully to idle which is then too slow. Also, the tickover will be slower when the clutch is pushed in, making the problem appear worse. Check all your linkages and ensure the throttle is returning properly to rest. "Blip" the throttle at rest to see if the tickover becomes slower. Then set the tickover to the correct speed.

The following 2 users liked this post by dibbyandco:
etypefancierjr (10-18-2022), Jtestrake (10-18-2022)