E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Steering Rack rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:29 PM
MPB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack rebuild

I'm re-building the steering rack on my '69 e-type. I need the smaller of the two needle bearings. This part is easily sourced from the popular vendor sites. However, I was wondering if anyone has the spec on the bearing so I could source it at a bearing house, and hopefully purchase at a more reasonable price!

Thanks in advance.

MPB

Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MPB
I'm re-building the steering rack on my '69 e-type. I need the smaller of the two needle bearings. This part is easily sourced from the popular vendor sites. However, I was wondering if anyone has the spec on the bearing so I could source it at a bearing house, and hopefully purchase at a more reasonable price!

Thanks in advance.

MPB
Hello MPB,
I don't have the bearing spec, but if you're going to replace the bearing, you will have to remove it. Accordingly, once you have the bearing in your hand you should find a bearing number thereon, or simply take the bearing to a bearing supplier to find a match.

I assume this is the small needle roller bearing that locates the small end of the pinion shaft. Once you have the bearing out of the pinion housing, you will be able to gain all the dimensional specs by measuring the OD of the pinion shaft bearing surface that fits inside the bearing (this will identify the ID of the bearing). The OD and length of the bearing can be obtained by direct measurement of the old bearing.

You will find that there are two types of needle roller bearings available. One that has a plastic or metal cage that holds the needle rollers in place until the pinion shaft is put in location. The other, often called a Full Complement bearing, has more needle rollers and no cage. The Full Complement bearing has higher speed and load bearing properties. If given the choice, I would opt for the Full Complement bearing, however, as this is a slow revolving, low load application, either type will suffice.

Regards,

Brent

Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 AM
MPB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brent,

thanks for this feedback.

Did some more hunting. Turns out the smaller of the two needle bearings in the rack is a Koyo M8125 closed end needle bearing. There are a number of sources for this part, but the best price I've found is on Amazon, of all places. It's a full compliment bearing, which means no cage, same as the type that's in my rack.

The bearing in my rack is coming out in pieces - it's either jammed or corroded in place. Having a heck of a time removing it, and I'm thoroughly wrecking the bearing as I do so. Put some penetrating oil on it over the weekend, will try to remove again tonight. I doubt I'll be able to capture any dims from whatever pieces I have left after it's out....