E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Vintage racing an XKE roadster

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 351 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Vintage racing an XKE roadster

I don’t want to ruin with a good car or even a potential restoration project. I want bitsa. Bits of this, bits of that. Junk that is too rusty or damaged to save.
A lot of the lower body and cowl are simple curves I can take aluminum and form over a buck, then rivet it together. The hard parts start with the doors on back. ( I already made a bonnet mold ) For the those parts I’ll take that junk and bang it straight (ish), tape over the rust holes, cover it with an embarrassing amount of Bondo and sand it smooth.
Next coat it with primer & make it smooth.
Cover that with PVA ( a release agent that just washes off.) and make what is called a splash mold. That’s a flimsy mold only good for one or two parts.
From that I’ll coat the inside with PVA and make the rear body out of fiberglass
I know it sounds rude and crude but I’ve made some very nice looking cars that way. Look up the Black Jack Special or the DeMar mk 2
It will have all Jaguar mechanicals. Stuff I’ve been collecting for 50 years.
What’s in it for you? I’ll Paint the pieces and you’ll have some wall art to hang in your garage? Make a set of fiberglass pieces for you to go vintage racing? Most clubs would welcome it even if it’s not an original Jaguar XKE. Nope, no matter invite to Monterey.
Maybe you’d like to join me in Vintage racing?
or just attend a few events?
Let’s talk.
by the way if you’ve already bought the replacement parts but they aren’t together yet, I could use those,;-) ( big smiley face.).