Driving in Spain

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in Spain

I would like some advice from anyone who knows Spain at all.. we want to rent a classic e type jag for our wedding in a few months in Spain. Does anyone know where we can hire one for the day without a driver? We'll be in Marbella, so anywhere in the Costa Del Sol area will do.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 AM

ok, so if this wedding is in a few months are you talking August/September? It is going to be hot in the south of spain! I would go for a car with air conditioning and not a convertible otherwise you are going to have one particularly stressed bride! What about a Jag XKR YouTube - ‪The new Jaguar XKR‬‏ (I tried to put an image up here but it didn't seem to work so I put up this video instead). I have heard good things about this company who rent luxury cars in spain, and are based in Marbella. I realise it is not your classic wedding car but if you are after a great car and something a bit different, this could be a good option.

Last edited by ML99; 07-10-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

I second that. The views are beautiful when driving across, and but there are not really any "thrilling" parts driving wise. And it's a very long drive, Spain's a big country. Unless you've driven/owned an e-type and know what you're getting yourself into then I'd suggest a newer car, maybe even in a convertible option if your heart's set on that!

Have fun!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Avoid Barcelona ! Two years ago my rear tyre was punctured at traffic lights by a youth on a scooter. He then drew my attention to it at the next lights and beckoned to follow him, indicating he would 'help me'. Yeh.... take me to his gang who would no doubt 'help' themselves to my valuables ! I decline his 'help'! Bast@rds !

Old 07-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must comment on this last remark:

I have never travelled to Barcelona and I'm Portuguese, not Spanish, so there are no "patriotic" intentions on my post.

But I must stress that Barcelona is one of the most interesting cities in the world and your episode is by no means an example of "what usually goes on" at that particular city.

I have several friends who lived there for a couple of years, complementing their studies at one of Barcelona's medical schools and they had no problems regarding safety issues, going to pubs, after-hour parties and the like, with no incidents at all.

Regarding David's doubts, I would also advise the use of a car with A/C. Temperatures on the south of Spain (and Portugal) can easilly reach 40º C during Summer.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Hi minijag,
I hate to disagree, but I don't know anyone that has been there and not been robbed. At the same 'tyre puncture' incident, there a a norwegian in the next layby who had suffered the same fate as I stopped and asked him ! This type of attack is well known, I found out later.
My pocket was picked on the street there a few years earlier. Barcelona is the 'personal robbery capital' of the world, follwed by Rome. I shall never go there again !!!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:26 AM

.... should have said.....'there was a norwegian'........

Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by DavidM
I would like some advice from anyone who knows Spain at all.. we want to rent a classic e type jag for our wedding in a few months in Spain. Does anyone know where we can hire one for the day without a driver? We'll be in Marbella, so anywhere in the Costa Del Sol area will do.
So did you take this trip? It is always good to know how a trip went?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 AM

oh, and pictures of the jag if you have them!!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evaristas
Hi minijag,
I hate to disagree, but I don't know anyone that has been there and not been robbed. At the same 'tyre puncture' incident, there a a norwegian in the next layby who had suffered the same fate as I stopped and asked him ! This type of attack is well known, I found out later.
My pocket was picked on the street there a few years earlier. Barcelona is the 'personal robbery capital' of the world, follwed by Rome. I shall never go there again !!!!!
On the Motorcaravan Monthly Magazine Forum there is a very long thread about all the robberies on the way down from Perpignan to South of Barcelona. It is not good reading, so beware if you are in the area, if you hear a bang when driving and someone (usually 3 persons in a car) who pull along side of you and start pointing at your vehicle and telling you to pull over, if you do you are going to be robbed. Best advice is to pretend to start phoning someone, they will shoot off if they see you doing that. My advice is to stay well clear of the area, only foreign reg vehicles are targeted.

Dave

Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by nowtelse2do
On the Motorcaravan Monthly Magazine Forum there is a very long thread about all the robberies on the way down from Perpignan to South of Barcelona. It is not good reading, so beware if you are in the area, if you hear a bang when driving and someone (usually 3 persons in a car) who pull along side of you and start pointing at your vehicle and telling you to pull over, if you do you are going to be robbed. Best advice is to pretend to start phoning someone, they will shoot off if they see you doing that. My advice is to stay well clear of the area, only foreign reg vehicles are targeted.

Dave
Allow me to balance this from my own personal experience.

I've driven from the UK down to Barcelona via Perpignan three times in recent years using both the E15 and old N41 without any trouble. The car has been parked in the tourist centre such as Las Ramblas:

Driving in Spain-xj8l-barcelona.jpg

or in long term car parks off Diagonal.

The most aggressive people in central Barcelona are drunken British youths.

It all comes down to being aware of who and what is around you both on the road and the streets.

For an altogether more exciting experience, I can recommend driving in either Nairobi or Montego Bay at night.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Javier Mena (10-16-2014)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:10 AM

nowtelse2do is right.... It's the yobs on mopeds, at traffic lights, puncturing tyres and not the town centre drunks.... ! Some are lucky and aren't robbed... I shall never be in Spain again in a car.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GGG
It all comes down to being aware of who and what is around you both on the road and the streets.
+1

For others who like scary stories, go find the thread about a S-Type needing abs harness repairs because of a stray bullet. Raychem heat shrink was mentioned as a possible repair material, so it should be an easy search.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Well....All I can say is that you have been warned and if you want proof, then I suggest you look at these.

ROBO EN LA AUTOPISTA - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22hnukD1HDc

Spanish police warn about highway robbers - YouTube

This is a worthwhile link, it shows the police are trying to do something, 'but' the way the Spanish economy is in at the moment will depend on how much the police funds there will be to combat this type of crime.
http://www.catalannewsagency.com/new...ighway-bandits

Anyone going to or through this area take care and have a safe journey.

Dave

Last edited by nowtelse2do; 02-19-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM

The last link on my last post appears to be not working so will try it again.

http://www.catalannewsagency.com/new...ighway-bandits

For some reason I cant add the full link, so where it ends at new the rest of the link goes

s/society=science/mass-arrests-highway-bandits

Sorry about that.
Dave

Last edited by nowtelse2do; 02-19-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Those videos are shocking, if it is so well known about, why are the police not doing anything about it? It makes me think twice about driving there now.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by ML99
Those videos are shocking, if it is so well known about, why are the police not doing anything about it? It makes me think twice about driving there now.
Have driven down to Barcelona in summer 2010 and 2011, finding both the trip and the stay more relaxing than life threatening. Barcelona itself is typical of a large city where parking is a nightmare although Diagonal makes crossing it fairly easy. Spanish drivers are competitive but give way once you have your nose in front.

This year I left the UK on Thursday 31st May 2012 through Eurotunnel. Drove 839 miles down through France via Rouen, Le Mans and Bordeaux crossing the Spanish border at Bayonne to stay at Burgos in northern Spain that night.

Crossed Spain north to south on Friday 1st June 2012. 603 miles via Madrid and Cordoba to Malaga on the south coast then east to Estopona and inland to Gaucin. Nothing passed me on the road and very few kept pace with me. I did see many on the way who shouldn't have either a driving licence or a passport and one or two at the wheel who may not even qualify for a birth certificate. Perhaps these are the ones who feature in the videos?

We've been touring the Serrania de Ronda for the past week. The most dangerous event has been the theft of all four tyre valve caps.

The biggest risk driving in Spain is that it has the second worst accident rate in Europe. An undamaged car is unusual, especially on the south coast and defensive driving essential to avoid joining this band.

If I manage to survive in this allegedly lawless country for another week and complete the return journey to the UK, I'll resume my normal level of posts to the forum. If my post count doesn't increase, you'll know to avoid Spain.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Javier Mena (10-16-2014)
Old 06-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Good on you Graham - a voice of reason. I have to say, our trip was fine too... we had no problems driving through Spain, and we loved every minute of it. I think there is a certain type of tourist who looks like a target (not justifying it of course) but when someone is hesitant and not confident on the road, it makes them obvious. Drive like the Spanish, and you'll be fine.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 PM

A lovely country I shall never visit again. I wish them all the troubles they have now to continue and more. The people there have certainly earned them !

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM

Graham, I think we should put this into perspective. Whilst you and I and thousands more motorist from all over the continent have been down to Spain recently, it is only fair to say that there is only a small percentage that have had the misfortune to have been robbed, but it happens. Up to now I don't think anyone has been seriously hurt.

My acquaintance who was robbed has been in touch with the Spanish Ambassador in March who is actually a Catalonian or Catalan (not sure which is correct)and who is now fully aware of this type of robbery. In a reply to the letter that my acquaintance wrote, he has said that he has raised the matter with senior Mosso d'Esquadra Officials and also with local politicians and will continue to do so.

So that looks to be a very positive move and attitude. He realises that what has been happening (and still is) can only be a detriment on the safety of visitors and the tourism trade, and economy of Spain and in particular that part of his country (not very good in this particular economic climate.)

Recent good news is that a gang of Eastern Europeans (about 18 members) have been caught doing these kind of robberies. I don't know the outcome of any sentences they have received at this time, but knowing the Spanish ways I doubt they will be able to count on human right acts to come to their rescue.

Its also known that some of these scum are working out of France. They do the robberies in Spain, usually with a stolen car, then head back into France pronto. With no border controls this is an easy option for them and at the moment a lucrative one or they would not do it.

All I'm saying is, be aware and be alert whilst driving in this area, it is a known problem.

Cheers

Dave

PS. Like you, It will still not stop me from going to Spain.

Quick Reply: Driving in Spain