F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

F-Pace Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 08:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default F-Pace Bleeding

Fpace bleed. I am posting this in hope that in the future as these wonderful cars age it is helpfull for someone searching the internet. I had to replace a caliper that reset when is was disassembled when the ignition time out after about 10 minutes. YOU MUST either remove the electric motor on the caliber or make sure you put it into "parkng brake service mode" if you press on brake and release the parking brake, it WILL reset in 10 minutes if you do not put it in "parking brake service mode" . When it does this, it pukes out the piston and your f'd. lol. While waiting for my new $650 caliper, my lines drained as there was nothing to hold fluild in the brake line.

There are two methods of bleeding and you must do both. One bleeds the caliper and the parking brake system. And one bleeds the ABS system. You can do the parking brake system more or less the old fashioned way, but you must have the ignition on (no started) and cycle the parking brake along with pumping the main brake. Doing this, once done, I had ZERO bubbles in my brake lines. But still had soft pedal, the next step is to bleed the ABS system.

To bleed the ABS system, you MUST have a scanner capable of "ABS Bleed". The procedure will require all 4 wheels to come off, one at a time, or if you can all at once. Once the scanner is in ABS bleed mode, the engine must be started! I never had to do that in my life, but it won't work if you dont. You SHOULD have a bleed kit that is one-way off the caliper. (valve keeps fluid from going back in). The scanner will say open bleed valve on left rear, then activate scanner and pump brakes waiting 4 seconds between each pump. The scanner will have a scroll timer counting down about 3 minutes When scanner says completed, close bleed valve. The scanner will say get ready for next wheel and repeat the procedurel. Some wheels will do nothing, others .....you will hear almost a MRI like sound of buzzing and whirring and the brake pedal will buzz like crazy. This is the ABS system purging air. I am still not sure if one should keep on pressing pedal while this is happening. Then left front, right front, and right rear following same procedure. YES this is counter intuitive for us that think bleed longest lines first, but that is the written procedure. It took me two times for the ABS but I got my hard pedal back! You will go through a lot of fluid so have a least a litre. probably more. Funny thing was, we watched the fluid. During the ABS procedure, a lot of fluid went through the bleeders, but NO air bubbles, So even though the ines were fine, the ABS needs this procedure to bleed the system properly.

Oh yea, mine is a SVR which the front caiipers have TWO bleed valves, yup, you got to to BOTH.

I'll try to add to this, when these cars get older and folks are replacing calipers, this very well could be a thing we need to know.

Last edited by bigbadorange; 09-26-2023 at 09:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigbadorange:
2018XF25T (09-26-2023), GGG (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 03:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,826 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Good advice.

Added to FAQ's in F-Pace 'HOW TO' Guides and Information new Section 3
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...mation-163949/

Graham