F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

F-Pace Tranny Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Pace Tranny Issue?

Wife was debating between the new CX-9 and F-pace. She drove a Prestige level with all the goodies, and fell in love. I started working #'s, and at least now, the lease #'s were pretty bad for what we wanted.

I shopped dealers all week, and finally got terms I could live with. Drove to a dealer about an hr away, and bought the car, without even driving it. She drove it home, and I thought we were good, although on a Premium with minimal goodies. Leather would have been $6k more, just couldn't justify it.

Two days later, we're dropping off her Lexus lease, and I drive home. The tranny is horrible. Very messy/sloppy shift points, it rev's abve 2k rpm before even really engaging in a gear. Wt heck? I was willing to overlook the cheap, plastic-y interior and fake leather, but the loud/rough shifting is not only inefficient but it seems unsafe.

Anyone else with a new F-pace having issues with the transmission? I'm completely second-guessing myself about not driving the car before buying it, I thought I was being chivalric and backing my wife's decision (she really wanted the Jag), but now I'm truly disappointed. Was hoping its a setting or something, but its bad in regular drive mode, and even worse in Eco.

Anyone else in my boat? I haven't even called the dealer yet, but the pit in my stomach is getting deeper. . .

Old 07-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jbailey895
Wife was debating between the new CX-9 and F-pace. She drove a Prestige level with all the goodies, and fell in love. I started working #'s, and at least now, the lease #'s were pretty bad for what we wanted.

I shopped dealers all week, and finally got terms I could live with. Drove to a dealer about an hr away, and bought the car, without even driving it. She drove it home, and I thought we were good, although on a Premium with minimal goodies. Leather would have been $6k more, just couldn't justify it.

Two days later, we're dropping off her Lexus lease, and I drive home. The tranny is horrible. Very messy/sloppy shift points, it rev's abve 2k rpm before even really engaging in a gear. Wt heck? I was willing to overlook the cheap, plastic-y interior and fake leather, but the loud/rough shifting is not only inefficient but it seems unsafe.

Anyone else with a new F-pace having issues with the transmission? I'm completely second-guessing myself about not driving the car before buying it, I thought I was being chivalric and backing my wife's decision (she really wanted the Jag), but now I'm truly disappointed. Was hoping its a setting or something, but its bad in regular drive mode, and even worse in Eco.

Anyone else in my boat? I haven't even called the dealer yet, but the pit in my stomach is getting deeper. . .
As far as I know, all Jag's use the ZF tranny and its excellent .. seems like yours has a fault, just take it back to the dealer.

I've had three jags so far and the transmission has been all good.
Lawrence

Old 07-16-2016, 04:34 PM

Thanks, I may be over-reacting a bit, took it out some more in "normal" mode, (non-eco), was a bit better, but still not smooth. Service is closed on weekends so I'll take it in next week, just fighting the buyer's remorse of a new car with potential issues I guess. . .

Old 07-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jbailey895
Thanks, I may be over-reacting a bit, took it out some more in "normal" mode, (non-eco), was a bit better, but still not smooth. Service is closed on weekends so I'll take it in next week, just fighting the buyer's remorse of a new car with potential issues I guess. . .

Oh yah.. I most certainly understand.. been there many years ago with a problem car.

As I mentioned, the tranny should be one of the strongest bits on the car.. I would likely thrash it pretty hard on the way to the dealer just to fully understand what is happening and then insist a tech goes out with me so I can demonstrate the problem.. that way, no misunderstandings.

If they try to tell you 'its normal' (and by your description it can't be) ask to take out another Fpace or a jag with a comparable transmission and show them the difference with yours.

Good luck, at this point I would have to think this is a very fixable bug under warranty.
Lawrence

Old 07-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Agreed. The ZF is in many other cars too and they are typically excellent. So have the dealer work it out

On a separate note - no leather? In a Jag? I thought they were all leather even in the most base models. Not the case? That's remarkable...

Old 07-17-2016, 09:33 PM

On a separate note - no leather? In a Jag? I thought they were all leather even in the most base models. Not the case? That's remarkable...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no leather in a Jag is pretty stupid, but "premium" is all plastic and fake leather. She loves the exterior styling and growl, but the interior is clearly a let-down.

I drove it more yesterday, and I think its just the "ECO" mode, horrible shift-points, and awkward acceleration. I have a 428i GC, and my ECO mode is much smoother, but the higher-revving V6 makes it worse I think.

That sinking pit of self-doubt after you commit to a car can be excruciating, but I think she's going to be happy in the long run. . ..

Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Which Lexus did you return?
I bet the Lexus was smoother. For a while I was debating whether to get an 07 GX470 or 07 RR HSE... same price, amazingly.

Hope your tranny annoyance gets resolved soon.