F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

More supercharger noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default More supercharger noise

Hi guys,

While I am quite pleased with the stock exhaust noise, especially with the VAP pulley tune that adds crackles on the overrun, I did want to hear a bit more supercharger induction whine, and here’s what I did:
-remove engine cover;
-remove hood liner;
-replace stock air filters with BMC competition air filters (OEM air filters on Porsche GT RS series cars)
-remove carbon filters in the upper part of the air boxes (these clean out hydro carbons in the blow back from the crankcase vent system on engine shut off). Engine cover and hoodliner removed
BMC airfilter in place, note carbon blow back filter in upper air box part
Carbon blow back filter removed
The removed OEM paper air filters and carbon blow back filters
The end result is this:

Its a short iPhone recording, windows closed. The volume of the high pitched supercharger whine has increased quite a bit, without resorting to cutting resonators on the intake tubes. I love the end result of these simple mods.

Last edited by Whitefpace; 06-12-2018 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following 5 users liked this post by Whitefpace:
alphakinase (09-13-2018), ariba (06-18-2018), BruceTheQuail (06-12-2018), Red_99 (07-21-2019), W I L L (07-14-2021)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

That’s impressive.

The following users liked this post:
Red_99 (07-21-2019)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

It is. I've ordered BMC filters for my F Type and will see how that goes.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice, I can't wait to do this mods and the pulley.

Last edited by Dabitz; 06-13-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whitefpace

Hi guys,

While I am quite pleased with the stock exhaust noise, especially with the VAP pulley tune that adds crackles on the overrun, I did want to hear a bit more supercharger induction whine, and here’s what I did:
-remove engine cover;
-remove hood liner;
-replace stock air filters with BMC competition air filters (OEM air filters on Porsche GT RS series cars)
-remove carbon filters in the upper part of the air boxes (these clean out hydro carbons in the blow back from the crankcase vent system on engine shut off). Engine cover and hoodliner removed
BMC airfilter in place, note carbon blow back filter in upper air box part
Carbon blow back filter removed
The removed OEM paper air filters and carbon blow back filters
The end result is this:
https://youtu.be/3OHPu-l7jdk

Its a short iPhone recording, windows closed. The volume of the high pitched supercharger whine has increased quite a bit, without resorting to cutting resonators on the intake tubes. I love the end result of these simple mods.
Im super late to this thread and may even have wrong model of car being the XF V6, but I did just install a Mina Gallery intake kit. I have a video I posted somewhere...

The following users liked this post:
Whitefpace (07-30-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Opi
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Link?

Old 07-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Did you ever buy/get/fit them Bruce?
Coz I considered getting them for my F-Type but in the end I went with stock paper filters for a number of reasons:
1. The BMC are oil coated filters, very much the same as K&N, which means you need to take them out, clean them and re-oil them every 10,000 or 20,000 km. That is a big hassle on the F-Type, 100 times the time and effort that it takes on the F-Pace.
2. I fitted K&Ns to my old XFR and they didn't result in any improvement in performance or SC / intake noise.
3. I already have plenty of SC whine on the F-Type due to the larger crank pulley and VAP tune.
4. The BMC filters cost three times as much as OEM paper filters.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Gooday - yes I did. More whine (more like turbo whistle than whine but it's something) up to about 4000rpm, then exhaust noise takes over everything, then a scream over about 5500rpm which I barely ever do anyway so it is a real surprise when you hear it. I doubt I'd get as much whine as you already do with the pulley and tune. The car sounded a bit more grumbly at idle as well. For me (wanting to maintain warranty) it was fine, but I wouldnt bother if you already are getting the whine.

I think it works better on the XE and the F Pace, with their placement of the filter boxes and quieter engines.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:58 AM

Gooday - yes I did. More whine (more like turbo whistle than whine but it's something) up to about 4000rpm, then exhaust noise takes over everything, then a scream over about 5500rpm which I barely ever do anyway so it is a real surprise when you hear it. I doubt I'd get as much whine as you already do with the pulley and tune. The car sounded a bit more grumbly at idle as well. For me (wanting to maintain warranty) it was fine, but I wouldnt bother if you already are getting the whine.

I think it works better on the XE and the F Pace, with their placement of the filter boxes and quieter engines.
Question off topic yet on topic... if I void warranty is there a way to be refunded of the cost of the warranty I paid out buying a used car?

Old 07-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Whitefpace Fantastic whine, sounds totally authentic. Have you noticed any issues from removing the filters or with your tune/pulley combo? Really fantastic!

Old 07-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Whitefpace Hey, everytime i see this I love it more. You're one of the only people I know with my vehicle Fpace and done your pulley and tune.

How is it holding up? Tried to get ahold of you but not the privileges to send messages yet.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Opi
Link?

Old 07-30-2019, 08:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_99
@Whitefpace Hey, everytime i see this I love it more. You're one of the only people I know with my vehicle Fpace and done your pulley and tune.

How is it holding up? Tried to get ahold of you but not the privileges to send messages yet.
Hi guys, sorry haven't been that active due to starting new businesses over the last year.

I'm now at 21000 miles, all on the full Velocity AP tune with pulley and BMC airfilters/charcoal filter delete (I tuned the engine right at the start). The car is still driving as sweetly as on day one, actually from about 10000 miles onward, it got noticeably faster, with the engine clearly loosening up. I've not had a single problem with the drivetrain, not even a single check engine light. Fuel economy is still as on day one, 12-13.5l/100km in mixed and city traffic, and a better than expected 7.5-8l/100km at steady 50-60mph cruise.

On the BMC filters: Yes they are expensive, but a proven name in motorsports and OEM filters on Porsche GT RS series cars, whereas GT and lesser models are still fitted with regular paper filters. Would Porsche take the risk of fitting their halo models with a filter that supposedly does little for performance, lets in more dirt and fouls the MAF sensors, if you believe all the internet horror stories? I doubt it.

On supercharger whine/induction noise: The single biggest factor really is the Velocity AP tune itself, even without the pulley. As the guys from Velocity AP explained somewhere, the tune keeps the boost bypass valve fully closed at bigger throttle openings, and that results in most of the noise. A stock ecu tune opens the bypass by a surprising amount, even at full throttle, thereby reducing the noise.