F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*any advice for buying?*

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default *any advice for buying?*

Hello! Been watching these Forums for some time now. I recently got my dream job and currently looking at F-Types. My grandfather had Jags years ago and has since passed away. Something about the F-type is just unreal! Im 30 years old and living in Columbus OH. A few questions.

(looking at CPO with warranty. Would love base V6 Coupe around $50K right off a lease)

- Every sales person I have talked to says they can only take a few hundred dollers off. Is this true? I love to haggle and want the best deal possible. What kind of discounts have you all gotten?

-What other things can I negotiate? Better warranty? Any ideas?

- How many of you drive the Ftype as a Daily driver? Would this be a stupid idea?

- Any other things to consider? Thanks!

Jeff

Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome!

I’m also 30 and daily mine- I wouldn’t recommend it unless you have access to another car with more utility and definitely wouldn’t get anything but an AWD in Ohio if you’re driving year-round.

That said, it’s a blast to drive and you’ll never regret getting it.

The following users liked this post:
SAVING_4_JAG (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Look into leasing. Some people are getting base models at 500/ month with no down. That's 18k in three years. If you buy one for 50k, it'll probably depreciate that much, and you won't get a warranty.
That's my view. Of course, you need to be able to negotiate a good lease.

The following 2 users liked this post by hardwired:
SAVING_4_JAG (10-09-2017), SinF (10-11-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 PM

Hardwired. I just looked quickly into Leasing. MY JAW DROPPED! Found some unreal deals. Thanks for the info. I was not thinking of new at all until now. I will be making some phone calls tomorrow! THANKS!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I drive a 2015 F-Type R (RWD) as a daily, and its no problem. Though I do store her for winters.

The best advice for buying is to buy right now. I've been watching the F-Type market closely since 2014 (leased my 2015 in 2015), and have never seen deals like I'm seeing now. Check out Crown Jaguar in St. Pete Florida. I'm nowhere near FL, but purchased there, and recently spoke with them in regards to possibly trading in my R lease early.

The deals they have now are like I've not seen before. If you want, I can PM you my contact over there and you can see what they can do for you. They're offering some great deals, but...I would have a hard time giving up my 2015 R. Looking at 2017 R and SVR...but I keep coming back to the R I have. I'm more likely to purchase this car after the lease then return it. Love it that much...and I've never owned a car more than 3 years.

SAVING_4_JAG (10-09-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:27 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
I drive a 2015 F-Type R (RWD) as a daily, and its no problem. Though I do store in winter.
Maybe we could consider the term daily driver to mean each day including winter ?

If where you live has very severe winters with snow several feet deep then maybe SUV type with high ground clearance and AWD is desirable or even necessary.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Maybe we could consider the term daily driver to mean each day including winter ?

If where you live has very severe winters with snow several feet deep then maybe SUV type with high ground clearance and AWD is desirable or even necessary.
I suppose there are different levels of daily driver. I consider a daily driver something that you can take everywhere and isn't out of the garage only on weekends. I daily my ftype but it gets put away first snow and comes out early April. I put 12k on it a year and consider it a daily. I have an a6 for winter and feel better in anything but the deepest snow in a sedan over an SUV.

In terms of buy versus lease, I have always been a buy person. But I was able to score my base manual convertible for 440/month with taxes and 3k down. Can't really justify buying with terms like that and was fine with a base given my highway daily commute. When the lease is up I may buy a used r convertible in the 40s? (In three years?) or go in another direction depending on what my annual mileage numbers are (always wanted a manual DBS volante or or maybe a 360). Heck, maybe I will lease another ftype if the deals are so good. At the rate Jaguar is blowing out ftype leases this year to move product, i strongly expect used vehicle values to plummet in 2-3 years. Don't understand on such a beautiful and loved car, but it's not a 911 and most people with money go for the 911 for the image and because they only care about the look. It's a great car, don't get me wrong, but the first choice of the I have some money to blow crowd.

Last edited by caviarjag; 10-10-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't drive many miles lease. These cars depreciate very fast. I drive 25k miles a year so a lease would have been impossible. I purchased my R two days ago and am expecting the depreciation - worth it to me. I did get $32k off sticker however which makes the depreciation pill a bit easier to swallow.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Well, you are buying what was approximately a $100K car, so you need to be realistic in your expectations. See what KBB states as retail price for miles/year/region. Don't expect to get below that on a car that isn't trashed/had accidents.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 PM

THIS IS INSANE! I found the jag I want. I got approved and started the process. Then I got a call that said sorry Jeff we cannot mail you paperwork and ship the car. You need to fly out here and complete paperwork then we will ship you the car back. Has anyone heard of this? California is where the car is.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
Look into leasing. Some people are getting base models at 500/ month with no down. That's 18k in three years. If you buy one for 50k, it'll probably depreciate that much, and you won't get a warranty.
That's my view. Of course, you need to be able to negotiate a good lease.
Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG
THIS IS INSANE! I found the jag I want. I got approved and started the process. Then I got a call that said sorry Jeff we cannot mail you paperwork and ship the car. You need to fly out here and complete paperwork then we will ship you the car back. Has anyone heard of this? California is where the car is.
sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

Old 10-11-2017, 08:14 PM

NO I wish, I dont even get to drive it back to Ohio. I would literally just be flying out to sign forms then fly home. NOT what the dealership initially told me. They said at first they will simply mail me paperwork, then ship car.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

NO I wish, I dont even get to drive it back to Ohio. I would literally just be flying out to sign forms then fly home. NOT what the dealership initially told me. They said at first they will simply mail me paperwork, then ship car.
Bummer. I still think you could say you don't need it shipped. Fly and buy, then drive it home

Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I don't know if this is the reason with your dealer but the out of state dealer I bought my car from said they no longer just Fedex'd the paperwork for sign and return due to identity theft issues. They Fedex'd it to a local notary who visited me at home to sign. The notary left me with copies and shipped the originals back to the dealer. Might be worth asking if they would do the same to save you a flight ? That was for a purchase not a lease. I have heard that leasing paperwork may need you to be there in person to sign...

Last edited by stmcknig; 10-11-2017 at 09:07 PM.
SAVING_4_JAG (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 PM

When I got mine in 2015, the dealer said I had to fly in and sign in Florida because Chase (who the lease is through) requires that it be signed in the state. I flew there with my wife, and drove home to northern IL. It was an awesome road trip. Taped up the Jag with blue painters tape, and drove it home over 2 days. Great memories from that trip actually.

I don't know if that was only back then, or pertains to Chase, or has changed...but I do know that the Florida dealer I leased through does ship cars (another member on this forum was also raving about their great customer service and how they shipped his SVR to New York). So I think they can mail paperwork and ship now. Who knows.

SAVING_4_JAG (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 PM

Purchase or lease?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Lease! Thanks a lot everyone! I will let you know how this turns out. Nice to see other people have had the same issue.

Hopefully they find another way. If I drive it back home then I have to pay Cali Sales tax. So it would literally just be to fly there to sign paperwork.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Not that surprised. Some of the incentives are regional and require local delivery. They should at least let you drive it back.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Lease! Thanks a lot everyone! I will let you know how this turns out. Nice to see other people have had the same issue.

Hopefully they find another way. If I drive it back home then I have to pay Cali Sales tax. So it would literally just be to fly there to sign paperwork.
California taxes monthly, so if you have a zero down deal taxes should be zero, or for the first month. I honestly don't know, but it should be minimal. I don't think your need to register it for ten days. Look into it yourself though, sales reps often seem to be rather clueless...

Old 10-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

I bought in southern Cal. and every dealer had a different policy. One would give me a 24 hour tag to get out of the state and the one I bought from insisted on using NationDmv to pay tax and reg in Nev. Then they wouldn't let me take possesion in Cal. I drove one of their loaners to stateline with my car being driven by one of their porters and then we switched and met in Vegas at a notary to sign off. A hassel but a great deal!