Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*ULTIMATE* Active/Passive Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
There are many threads related to this. I have F43 currently removed, as I have the dreaded squeaky/grindy active exhaust valve noise. In the V6S, I find it drones unacceptably at highway speeds, though presumably if I dropped down to 7th gear, to increase the revs a bit, the drone would be decreased.

Personally, not sure I can live with it like this. At some point, I'll probably replace the muffler, unless I can find a way to quiet the valves (which seems unlikely.)

The plus side of removing F43 is that it stops the active exhaust vacuum pump, which is rather noisy around 2K RPM - sounds like a heat shield buzzing.
I was wondering why you had droning issues at highway speeds, but it just occurred to me that my top gear (6) is geared similarly to your 7th gear.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

From the MY 14 Brochure
"The F-TYPE Sport Exhaust delivers a crisp note from start up, with the promise of performance building to a race-car inspired crescendo at high rpm and during overrun. An Active Sport Exhaust is standard on the F-TYPE S and F-TYPE V8 S and is optional on the F-TYPE.
The system features active bypass valves which open during performance driving to allow exhaust gases to exit more directly for a deep, dramatic sound. The F-TYPE R has a Switchable Active Exhaust that allows manual control of the system, for even greater driver involvement."

Now I have an early MY 14 Base F with a loud button. How that fits into the above is beyond me. It must have been an option on the Base F but that is not how the brochure reads.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
From the MY 14 Brochure
"The F-TYPE Sport Exhaust delivers a crisp note from start up, with the promise of performance building to a race-car inspired crescendo at high rpm and during overrun. An Active Sport Exhaust is standard on the F-TYPE S and F-TYPE V8 S and is optional on the F-TYPE.
The system features active bypass valves which open during performance driving to allow exhaust gases to exit more directly for a deep, dramatic sound. The F-TYPE R has a Switchable Active Exhaust that allows manual control of the system, for even greater driver involvement."

Now I have an early MY 14 Base F with a loud button. How that fits into the above is beyond me. It must have been an option on the Base F but that is not how the brochure reads.
I think you are misreading the brochure text.
It says ".....An Active Sport Exhaust is standard on the F-TYPE S and F-TYPE V8 S and is optional on the F-TYPE."
Plain F-TYPE = Base.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Oz, as I emphasized by color, the brochure describes THREE exhaust "options." It says the ACTIVE is available on the Base F, not that the SWITCHABLE is available on the Base F. Confusing to say the least. I believe Loud Button and Switchable are synonymous.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Correct. I have active exhaust (standard on the S), but not switchable active exhaust, which was an option.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

i have base with button exhaust on it and it sound super

Old 01-12-2018, 12:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I had seen this post before I had bought my car aghhh!! Maybe wouldn’t have been so picky about spending the money for a car that had the switchable exhaust 😂

Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
From the MY 14 Brochure

Rather ironic that they describe the build-up for 'high RPM and during overrun' and then manage to screw EVERY SINGLE F-Type up with the programming changes or replacement of O2 sensors.

I LOVED my exhaust notes in active mode until the heated O2 sensor debacle...and while they claimed they made no changes through the computer, it is clear that the O2 sensor changed the signals that were permitting the overrun even with a quick blip in the driveway or at an intersection.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Some of us were lucky enough to not get noticeable changes to the exhaust sounds - no idea why.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Some of us were lucky enough to not get noticeable changes to the exhaust sounds - no idea why.
I don't believe the V6 engines were impacted to the same extent as the V8s.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I don't believe the V6 engines were impacted to the same extent as the V8s.
Mine was substantially impacted. This is part of why I am patiently waiting for VAP to indicate if any of their tuning will bring back the programmed overrun.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2014 V8 S with the button.

When I put the car in Dynamic Mode the button automatically lights up.

I can manually switch the exhaust in ECO or Rain and Snow and I guess I could turn it off in Dynamic mode but I have never tried.

But, since the button automatically lights up when I put it in Dynamic Mode that would seem to imply that it goes into active move when in Dynamic with or without the button.

This seems logical but I have found logic does not always apply to Auto Manufactures and the extent they will go to in order to sell add on options.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
I have a 2014 V8 S with the button.

When I put the car in Dynamic Mode the button automatically lights up.

I can manually switch the exhaust in ECO or Rain and Snow and I guess I could turn it off in Dynamic mode but I have never tried.

But, since the button automatically lights up when I put it in Dynamic Mode that would seem to imply that it goes into active move when in Dynamic with or without the button.

This seems logical but I have found logic does not always apply to Auto Manufactures and the extent they will go to in order to sell add on options.
Mine works exactly the same way.
I have the car in Dynamic at all times other than when the road is very slippery, and I manually turn the loud button off when SWMBO is riding shotgun, but I still leave it in Dynamic. She has absolutely no idea that I have it in Dynamic mode let alone what it is and the difference that makes, but she can sure tell the difference between the loud button being on or off and she lets me know all about it if I forget to turn it off!

Old 01-17-2018, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
...but she can sure tell the difference between the loud button being on or off and she lets me know all about it if I forget to turn it off!
I have the same affliction.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help finding Fuse 43? From the owners manual it says it is located in the "Passenger compartment fuse box". I have located this via a very small access panel, so small I needed to take a picture to establish what's in there. Sadly I cannot see a Fuse 43. I have the Active Exhaust but not the button to switch the valves.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:17 AM

hey im also thinking of replacing the my passive exhaust to an active exhaust. so all i have to do is replace the cat back?? and nothing else right?

Old 05-25-2020, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by speedski
Thank you for your post, it is very useful.

For those that are wondering I just upgraded from number 1 (passive exhaust) to an active exhaust but I did not install the vacuum hoses or the button so the valves are always open. The difference in sound is pretty big in both lower RPMs and higher RPMs. Also, the "cracks and pops" sound more like gunfire now than just speakers popping. On the down side, there is a bit of droning on the highway now that didn't exist before but that can be easily changed with down shifting

Long story short, I have heard that difference between active exhaust and non-active exhaust was pretty small (non-active exhaust is 80% of active exhaust). I am inclined to believe that this is the case for going from 2 to 3. The difference between the passive exhaust and active exhaust is significant.
​​​​​​
hey im also thinking of replacing the my passive exhaust to an active exhaust. so all i have to do is replace the cat back?? and would the valves be open all time? thx lmk!

Old 05-26-2020, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jebuslord
​​​​​​
hey im also thinking of replacing the my passive exhaust to an active exhaust. so all i have to do is replace the cat back?? and would the valves be open all time? thx lmk!
Yes.

The following users liked this post:
jebuslord (05-26-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

On MY16 V6S 6sp - my exhaust switch button ON alone doesn't make a difference, but activating dynamic mode turns on the switch light and the exhaust gets louder. Only in dynamic mode though.
Is that something anyone else has experienced? I usually keep it in dynamic, so it's not really a big issue - just thought it was odd that the button only works for me in dynamic mode!

Old 05-27-2020, 04:25 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

On my MY18 it does make a difference, but not as much of a difference as in dynamic. Does your switch light come on when you select it in non-dynamic mode?

The following users liked this post:
UgotMOSSd (05-27-2020)

Quick Reply: *ULTIMATE* Active/Passive Exhaust Thread