F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

0-60 Dragy 1/4mi and Other Musings

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 08:02 AM
Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 0-60 Dragy 1/4mi and Other Musings

I searched the forum and found an old thread around performance times, it devolved into a Corvette thread with a few other cars thrown in. So starting over as I know there are others on here that track their cars/are performance oriented.

So currently my 2017 R has a stage 1 VAP tune. I went to the dragstrip and my best of 4 runs was 11.63 @ 121.3mph. I'm no drag racer, probably do it twice a year, and typically when I'm testing a modification I've done. I know there's an 11.5 in there, because as stated, I'm no drag racer. But I didn't feel like it was launching all that hard? The 60' was 1.83sec, which is also slow for a car that's supposed to be 605hp/542ftlbs. I've shaved about 50lbs off, so est. weight is 3764lbs.

The online calculators say my car should do a 60' of 1.7 1/4mile 11.1@128.6mph. Now I realize this is an estimate and there is a lot of variables, so I'm not going to get into the weeds around minor details. But there is a big difference between what the calculators say and testing by the automotive journals of stock cars, and what I'm seeing from an 'tuned' car.

To take it a step further, I added a Dragy to the mix. I went out this morning, 68d with half tank of gas. With factory settings in dynamic mode, letting the trans shift in sport mode, the best I got was 3.73sec 0-60. Tried traction control on & off, seemed to make no difference. There's no tire chirping, dramatic spinning going on, (tires are Azenis FK460AS) again, does not seem to launch very hard?

I am disappointed with these results. Does anyone have any recent 0-60/1/4mi times or experience to share that I can use as a reference?

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 306 Posts

Check Ricky's xf in the 10s ,now going for 9s

Ricky5.0s/c (05-26-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:57 PM
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

You need better tires.

Luc Lapierre (05-26-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 10:22 PM

I certainly agree with that, they came new with the car. But since there is no excessive wheel spin, either 0-60 or at the dragstrip, I believe its more than the tires.

Old 05-25-2024, 10:49 PM

I’m no expert with awd but if you had at least some sort of summer tires on there i would have thought twice.

Distributing power via the awd inevitably rob power somewhere in the chain and it may not be sent to the best axel.

The car might even be cutting power and braking specific wheels when you have so little grip.

Also the awd R weights roughly 4000lb without driver, there was a thread where people actually weighted their cars, rwd R clocks in at ~3800lb.

Old 05-25-2024, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
I’m no expert with awd but if you had at least some sort of summer tires on there i would have thought twice.

Distributing power via the awd inevitably rob power somewhere in the chain and it may not be sent to the best axel.

The car might even be cutting power and braking specific wheels when you have so little grip.

Also the awd R weights roughly 4000lb without driver, there was a thread where people actually weighted their cars, rwd R clocks in at ~3800lb.
Mmmm,.. well it's a bit of mystery. Specs say 3814lbs, but I have not weighed it. perhaps a visit to some scales is in order. I tried turning the traction control off, did not seem to make a difference. I was indeed expecting some more wheel spin that never came. I'm under the impression that the AWD system is very rear biased, and only sends torque to the front after it detects wheel slippage. So with traction off, and all seasons (although high performance all seasons, based on tire rack testing) I thought there would be more wheel slip before the fronts dug in.

Old 05-26-2024, 05:11 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...hassle-161094/

The f type is not light, short of expensive upgrades like lipo battery and light weight wheel/brakes, or aggressive removal of interior bits, the awd R will almost always weight more than 4000lb.

Other than tires, the car might be heat soaked in the strip without obvious signs.

Old 05-26-2024, 08:08 AM

Great link, thank you sir! I'll get it weighed. I think I'll also set up a camera and video the launch, see if I'm getting more wheelspin that I think.

Old 05-26-2024, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ThunderKitty
Great link, thank you sir! I'll get it weighed. I think I'll also set up a camera and video the launch, see if I'm getting more wheelspin that I think.

get a draggy if you haven’t, the app has leader board and built in time/speed overlay over video.

And be safe securing a cam to the fender!

Old 05-26-2024, 09:43 AM
Thumbs up

Just moved the dragy from the M car to the Jag, that's what I was using to get the 0-60 times.
I have a Go-Pro and insta360. First time using the insta360 was a couple weeks ago at Tail of the Dragon, Certainly worried it would be flung off the mountain, but it worked.

Old 05-26-2024, 01:35 PM
Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Below are the time slips from my two most recent drag racing passes. I have a 2016 R (awd) with Velocity AP Stage 3 setup. I was launching at around 2000 rpm and getting a little bit of tire spin off the line. I had already prepped the car for an upcoming track day and had a full tank of fuel and did not try dropping tire pressures. I should be able to run 11.1x in good conditions with a little less weight and tuning on tire pressures.

ThunderKitty (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 10:41 PM

This is great, thanks! This indicates to me it is a weight issue. The 1.7sec 60' looks more like I was expecting at my stage 1 tune. To be at a stage 3, and less rotating mass, it must be the weight (or just the way it delivers the power, gearing, no launch control). I'm installing the xHP TCU flash this weekend, I flashed my M car's ZF and it made a big difference.

I'll get the car weighed tomorrow if the scales are open. I have done the lipo batt, pulled out the rear trunk (boot ) cover and SC cover, so have trimmed a little weight. I have considered the rotors/wheels, but there's a limit to how far down the rabbit hole I want to go with it.

At the end of the day, the Jag , or Fat Cat, as I refer to it, is more of a GT car. I'm not trying to turn it into something it's not, but I think I can sharpen up the performance a tad without going too far.

Last edited by ThunderKitty; 05-26-2024 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderKitty
This is great, thanks! This indicates to me it is a weight issue. The 1.7sec 60' looks more like I was expecting at my stage 1 tune. To be at a stage 3, and less rotating mass, it must be the weight (or just the way it delivers the power, gearing, no launch control). I'm installing the xHP TCU flash this weekend, I flashed my M car's ZF and it made a big difference.

I'll get the car weighed tomorrow if the scales are open. I have done the lipo batt, pulled out the rear trunk (boot ) cover and SC cover, so have trimmed a little weight. I have considered the rotors/wheels, but there's a limit to how far down the rabbit hole I want to go with it.

At the end of the day, the Jag , or Fat Cat, as I refer to it, is more of a GT car. I'm not trying to turn it into something it's not, but I think I can sharpen up the performance a tad without going too far.
you guys just need more power to go fast my car is 4288lbs and 850+hp just ran 10.19 @137 few weeks ago

Jamal302 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 06:28 AM

@ThunderKitty I’d be surprised if ~200lbs of sprung mass equates to 5/10th in the quarter, you can somewhat easily verify that by loading the trunk full with liquid of your choice. Something else is off.

Although i haven’t scientifically tested it myself, but my wheel and brake combo is about 100lbs lighter than stock, which is also mostly rotating and unsprung mass, should theoretically send me straight to the moon if weight was that impactful for the straight. My butt dynon feels them, but mostly in the form faster and more responsive initial pick up.

@Ricky5.0s/c
those are impressive figures and i really enjoyed your talk on another thread regarding the exhaust back pressure!

Do you have a thread or video detailing what was done to the car?

Old 05-27-2024, 09:14 AM

10.19 @ 137mph is truly impressive! Congrats!

As noted, I'm not building a drag car, I autocross and do an occasional track day (or Tail of the Dragon type runs) I've had over 50 cars in my time, (bit of an addiction, I know) and I've modified most of them in one way or another to make it 'mine'. But the days of doing this is over:

1971 240Z, 2300lbs/510hp (do the math) complete Ground Control coil-overs, big brakes, etc, etc. I used to embarrass some very expensive cars in this.

The following 3 users liked this post by ThunderKitty:
ftype_rick (05-27-2024), RGPV6S (05-27-2024), XKDreams (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 10:07 AM
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

There’s a debate on whether or not brake launching improves times. I’m in the camp that it does given I’ve tried both and times are always materially better (using Dragy). I’ve found (and others too) that running the RPMs up to 2000-2300 gives a great launch. And with the car in either DSC off or TracDSC. Unprepped roads and I was getting 3.3 seconds (‘17 R). That was with VAP’s Stage 2 and Michelin PS4S tires. I’m now Stage 3 with their lightweight rotors so my guess is 3.0/3.1 is in the cards. The VAP rotors are expensive but if your OEM brakes are on the way out and you can do the job yourself, it’s about the same price as the dealer slapping OEM back on. Not quite the same with lithium battery, but once the factory one dies I’ll make the jump. Between the rotors and battery, that’s about 100lbs saved. I’ve considered lighter wheels but if you like the stock design, paying big bucks to shave just a few pounds on each corner didn’t seem worth it. You can probably shave another 30-50lbs going with a titanium exhaust, 120lbs by swapping seats for carbon fiber buckets. I think I can get this thing down to C7 Z06 / 911 Turbo weight with the items listed above. Then at 700+ hp with either VAP or Viezu’s new offering and it’ll be able to hang with anything, while still being the most beautiful car on the road.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:09 AM

I think we might be over estimating the weight saving from carbon buckets, i did a light research a while back and a total of ~50lbs saving for 2 seats seems to be the more likely.

Have anyone actually weighed the oem seat and fitted a carbon one?

a post from Porsche forum for reference:

On Rennlist there's apost saying "The carbon bucket seats with sliders are 37-38 lbs each and the full leather18 ways seats without the fans are 62lbs each so you save something like 48-50lbs in total with two carbon bucket seats. "

And from a GT3 press kit

"Full Bucket Seats with an integrated thorax airbag are also available as an option. Their high side bolsters offer secure support in the pelvis and shoulder areas even for extremely sporty driving styles. They are also weight-optimized with openings in the carbon fiber design for multi-point harnesses. As a pair they save about 26 lbs compared to the standard Sports Seats Plus. Height adjustment is performed electrically on both the driver’s and front passenger sides, while fore-and-aft adjustment takes place manually. The black center section is made of partially perforated and color-backed Race-Tex. As with the exterior paintwork, the contrasting colors GT Silver, Guards Red and Shark Blue are available for this and for the “GT3” logo of the head restraints. "

Old 05-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

“I think we might be over estimating the weight saving from carbon buckets, i did a light research a while back and a total of ~50lbs saving for 2 seats seems to be the more likely”

I was under the impression that stock seats were 80lbs and buckets would be 20, but maybe gap is narrower than that.

[/QUOTE]

Old 05-27-2024, 11:48 AM

Mystery solved! Well, at least my mystery. Just got back from the scales, with me and a 1/4 fuel, I was 4220!!.

I topped up the fuel afterwards to get a more accurate est. of how much fuel weight, 6gallons @ 6.27lb per, then backed out my 185lbs. and netted out at 4000lbs!! Waaay heavier than I thought.

Running the calculators again, a 1.76sec 60' / 11.57 @123.8 is the result. That's at the 4220lbs (as I'll always have fuel and my butt in the car) with 605hp stage 1 tune.

So my 1.83 60' / 11.63 @ 121.3 is in the range of variability.

I was thinking I'd get into the 10's with this car, even if it was 10.99. But that's not going to happen without extensive mods. As of now, I think I'll get the lower pulley/tune, 2pc rotors up front, R1 rotors in the back. That, with the TCU flash I just did, and call it done.

After I get the TCU tune working, (having some issues with getting the 'new' VAP ECU tune to match). I'll hit the drag strip again to see what impact that has. Then on to the Stage 2 tune/brakes and run the 1/4 one last time to see the final results.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:52 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
@ThunderKitty I’d be surprised if ~200lbs of sprung mass equates to 5/10th in the quarter, you can somewhat easily verify that by loading the trunk full with liquid of your choice. Something else is off.

Although i haven’t scientifically tested it myself, but my wheel and brake combo is about 100lbs lighter than stock, which is also mostly rotating and unsprung mass, should theoretically send me straight to the moon if weight was that impactful for the straight. My butt dynon feels them, but mostly in the form faster and more responsive initial pick up.

@Ricky5.0s/c
those are impressive figures and i really enjoyed your talk on another thread regarding the exhaust back pressure!

Do you have a thread or video detailing what was done to the car?
hey man thanks. I don't have an f type I'm saving up for one at the moment I have a jaguar xf same motor as the f type the 5.0l. I can't really go into detail what I've done because this is an f type forum some people might not like that. Basic modifications full exhaust, upper 55mm pulley,icebox in truck, direct port injection, custom intake and piggyback ecu all this got me to a 10.56@133mph few days ago I tried an 8" pulley and ran a 10.19 at 137. I'm gonna Try and delete the vaccum pump so i can fit a bigger crank pulley and just really see how much the engine is capable of. all this is a good data for a project car I'm building gonna do a 5.0 swap into a 2003 mustang get it down to 2500-2800lbs and see how fast I can go here's my youtube chanel I been uploading some videos on everything I've done to the car https://youtube.com/@ricky50scjustal...Ke4qND9vxLXhEt

Quick Reply: 0-60 Dragy 1/4mi and Other Musings