F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19" Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Default 19" Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)

I've been searching for a while for a real life picture of the F-Type 19-inch orbit black and diamond turned wheel.
The configurator on the Jaguar website has really poor color/contrast reproduction so it's hard to tell what the wheels looks like in real life.
Finally found some pictures on Twitter. The owner used some weird color filters, so the pictures are variously tinted, but this gives a pretty good view of what the wheels look like.
The contrasting black and diamond could make this a good choice for dark (black or stratus grey) paints where a pure black wheel would create too little contrast and a silver/metallic wheel might create too much.

Hope it's helpful for folks considering the option.

Attached Thumbnails 19" Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-1.jpg   19" Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-2.jpg   19" Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-3.jpg   19" Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-4.jpg   19" Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-5.jpg  

The following 4 users liked this post by schraderade:
dwmilton (05-11-2020), pabanker (06-05-2014), Panthro (05-21-2021), PD2911 (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I like 'em! Kinda wish they had been available for the R.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ungineer
I like 'em! Kinda wish they had been available for the R.
Same here, those would be my first choice. Guess they don't come in 20". I'm going with 20" GYRODYNE WHEEL - BLACK & DIAMOND TURNED which at least has the same idea of black with a bit of silver exposed.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Same here, those would be my first choice. Guess they don't come in 20". I'm going with 20" GYRODYNE WHEEL - BLACK & DIAMOND TURNED which at least has the same idea of black with a bit of silver exposed.
The 20" gyrodynes look awesome.
The first custom R coupe in the UK was delivered to Jose Mourinho (the legendary soccer coach) in a much publicized event.

He picked stratus grey and the 20" gyrodynes..... Car looks amazing.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-gets-3455276

I can't practically get 20" wheels because am using the F type to zip around San Francisco which has awful tarmac.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
The 20" gyrodynes look awesome.
The first custom R coupe in the UK was delivered to Jose Mourinho (the legendary soccer coach) in a much publicized event.

He picked stratus grey and the 20" gyrodynes..... Car looks amazing.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-gets-3455276

I can't practically get 20" wheels because am using the F type to zip around San Francisco which has awful tarmac.
I actually find that the car isn't too bad on 20" wheels here in the Bay Area. The roads down in the Valley aren't great either, and the car is fine on my 20" tornadoes. My custom setting for the dynamic mode has the suspension left in normal and you can flip between that and the factory dynamic setting (where it is firmer) if need be. I wouldn't be too afraid of 20s out here.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I've seen the diamond turned Gyrodyne's in person, and they do look great. The black was actually dark gray, similar to Stratus grey shade.
I went with the Blade wheels on my order. I like the shape of the spokes, the grey interior, with the bright highlight on the outside. It kind of mimics the bright trim outline of the window on Stratus Grey paint. The only thing I DON'T like about the Blade wheels are the Carbon Fiber pieces <blech>.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
I actually find that the car isn't too bad on 20" wheels here in the Bay Area. The roads down in the Valley aren't great either, and the car is fine on my 20" tornadoes. My custom setting for the dynamic mode has the suspension left in normal and you can flip between that and the factory dynamic setting (where it is firmer) if need be. I wouldn't be too afraid of 20s out here.
Awesome, I've heard the adaptive suspension works very well!

I've had to replace tires twice and rims once on my 550 in SF so I don't have patience to do it again... I'm in a (maybe) minority who likes run flat tires. I saw elsewhere that you're planning to swap for the fabulous MPSS's... If I were to do that I might have more appetite for the 20", but I'm determined to stick with run flats so 19 it is...

Old 06-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

yep, I'm certainly planning on that switch. I'm even thinking about doing it anyway rather than waiting until I'm due for new tires as I think it will make a big difference. The OEM P Zero is an OK tire, but it's mid-pack at best and I do think the PSS will be a big upgrade.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ungineer
I've seen the diamond turned Gyrodyne's in person, and they do look great. The black was actually dark gray, similar to Stratus grey shade.
I went with the Blade wheels on my order. I like the shape of the spokes, the grey interior, with the bright highlight on the outside. It kind of mimics the bright trim outline of the window on Stratus Grey paint. The only thing I DON'T like about the Blade wheels are the Carbon Fiber pieces <blech>.
The blades are pretty sweet too. I really like the storm 20" but it's prohibitively expensive.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Found these pics on Cars.com

Found these pics from a listing on Cars.com... I ordered the same wheels, and was a little nervous about how they'd really look on the car (can't trust a Photoshop image on the Jaguar website). Was really relieved and pleased when I saw these. I like them, they're classy but cool, cool but not flashy. And shouldn't show much road grime (I think).

Attached Thumbnails 19&quot; Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-01.jpg   19&quot; Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-05.jpg   19&quot; Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-08.jpg  

Last edited by pabanker; 06-05-2014 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ungineer (06-06-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pabanker
Found these pics from a listing on Cars.com... I ordered the same wheels, and was a little nervous about how they'd really look on the car (can't trust a Photoship image on the Jaguar website). Was really relieved and pleased when I saw these. I like them, they're classy but cool, cool but not flashy. And shouldn't show much road grime (I think).
Great find!
I've attached a version of the same photos with some attempt at color/tone/contrast correction, hope it's helpful.

The diamond and black wheels have been pretty popular with Aston Martin and Bentley Continental models, maybe it's a British thing?

Attached Thumbnails 19&quot; Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-w1.jpg   19&quot; Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-w2.jpg   19&quot; Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-w3.jpg   19&quot; Orbit Black and Diamond Turned Wheel (photos)-19obdr-w4.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by schraderade:
pabanker (06-05-2014), PD2911 (07-14-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome, I've heard the adaptive suspension works very well!

I've had to replace tires twice and rims once on my 550 in SF so I don't have patience to do it again... I'm in a (maybe) minority who likes run flat tires. I saw elsewhere that you're planning to swap for the fabulous MPSS's... If I were to do that I might have more appetite for the 20", but I'm determined to stick with run flats so 19 it is...
I just replaced two wheels yesterday! Pothole in los gatos bent the rims pretty bad. Only 4k miles!

Planning on new tires after the track day this weekend, those perelli`s stick great, but the tread doesn't last.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by spinningbull
I just replaced two wheels yesterday! Pothole in los gatos bent the rims pretty bad. Only 4k miles!

Planning on new tires after the track day this weekend, those perelli`s stick great, but the tread doesn't last.
Ouch sorry to hear that! Did you buy tire insurance? Am not sure how much it is with the bay area dealerships.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spinningbull

Isn't it sad that the once Great State of California that was once the model for advanced, high quality roads, freeways & highways to all other states, and now is the land of goat trails thanks to Cal-Trans. All brought to you by an inefficient state Govt that can't manage a lemonade stand and turn a profit...but then again, neither can the Feds. But I digress.

Sorry to hear about the wheels.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:38 AM

Great find!
I've attached a version of the same photos with some attempt at color/tone/contrast correction, hope it's helpful.

The diamond and black wheels have been pretty popular with Aston Martin and Bentley Continental models, maybe it's a British thing?
Its been pretty popular on truck wheels for a while. I think they've figured out there are many who want something besides uniformly chromed or murdered-out black wheels.

Great pics, The Orbits seem to look equally nice on dark and light cars.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 AM

Ouch sorry to hear that! Did you buy tire insurance? Am not sure how much it is with the bay area dealerships.
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried wheel/tire insurance not purchased from the dealer? Are there any that are reliable to work with?