F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Question 2017MY R Exhaust Valve ReProgram?

Is this a load of BS...

I previously owned a '16 F-Type Coupe R and just picked up a '17 Coupe R. I noticed that my '17 sounded a bit tamer compared to my '16. I searched and read about the K309 software update (O2 sensor) and then folks complaining about their R's exhaust noise being reduced. And then the JTB495 patch came out and that seemed to resolve the issue. My build was 11/16, so I imagine I have the latest software??? I also read about exhaust valves getting stuck, not opening or closing completely. So that's when I decided to check out my exhaust valves. And sure enough, my passenger side valve was not opening completely--not parallel to the exhaust pipe--when Dynamic Mode was engaged. Mine closed completely if in Normal Mode. Others have had similar issues and their exhausts were replaced under warranty. Once replaced, their exhaust valves opened completely.

So this is the email I receive this afternoon from my dealer explaining that I was not imagining things and that Jaguar reprogrammed the valves on MY 2017s b/c people were complaining--seriously?!?! The noise was in part a reason why I came back to the F-Type Coupe R after my '16!

So is the following a line of BS:
I heard back from the Jaguar engineers today. You were 100% correct when you stated that your 2016 was louder than your 2017, unfortunately it was done on purpose. So the engineer stated that starting in 2017, they tuned down the exhaust due to the majority of people stated that the vehicle was too loud. So Jaguar created a ECM software update that only allowed the one valve to move fully open and the other to only open partially to turn down the noise level. So the people on the forums who are getting their mufflers replaced will actually have the same issue because they already have updated their software. If you would have never looked down the tailpipe then I would have probably never have known this as well, so thank you. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns. Have a great day.

I question my dealer (well really do I have to explain myself there!!!), b/c others here who have had their exhaust replaced confirmed for me that once replaced, their valves opened/closed as intended:

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Everything open and closed fully and properly, no more issues with the valves locking up. It was a defect.
Attached are pics of my exhaust valves upon cold startup after engaging Dynamic Mode and shutting off the car. You can clearly see the first 2 pics of my driver's side exhaust valves are fully open, parallel to the exhaust pipe, but the remaining pics of my passenger side valve is only partially open, maybe 75%. Included is a chart of Jag's explanation of the operation of the exhaust valves.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-ex1.jpg   2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-ex2.jpg   2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-ex3.jpg   2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-ex4.jpg   2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-ex5.jpg  

2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-ex6.jpg   2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-exhaust-chart.png  
Old 08-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JNA is giving me the same lines for a similar issue. We should get everyone who's been affected by this and put our heads together. They can't ignore us all, but they will surely ignore one or two of us on our own.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy
JNA is giving me the same lines for a similar issue. We should get everyone who's been affected by this and put our heads together. They can't ignore us all, but they will surely ignore one or two of us on our own.
Yeah, you and I have been recently going back and forth on the Thread you started.

I asked you to check your exhaust valves and see if they open completely...did you get around to it?

Old 08-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I had my muffler replaced a couple of weeks ago due to faulty valves. Still sounds as raucous as it did before - loud as ever, snarling, popping. Had to wait a week for parts to be delivered so must be using the latest design, if indeed there is one.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ek993
I had my muffler replaced a couple of weeks ago due to faulty valves. Still sounds as raucous as it did before - loud as ever, snarling, popping. Had to wait a week for parts to be delivered so must be using the latest design, if indeed there is one.
So ek993, I recall you had issues with your exhaust sounding quieter after you had the K309 update, and then you shared with the forum here about getting the JTB patch in the summer 2016, correct? So after you had the JTB patch, you noticed your valves were sticking? Why, b/c the sound was still muted? I'm just trying to understand the progression. Thanks

Old 08-17-2017, 05:28 PM

Car was very muted after K309 applied March 2016. Car was updated around August with the new K309 and was instantly returned to full volume with all pops and crackles. There hadn't been any change in sound since.

The car was in for an alignment few weeks back and they called to say they needed to replace the muffler due to faulty valves. Car sounded the same on the new muffler - very loud and snarling full of pops and crackles on the overrun.

The following users liked this post:
Kief (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:49 PM

Their response doesn't seem to make sense either.

They have stated it's the software that has changed the way the valves operate. So why would people who have their mufflers replaced experience the issue (like me) as I am still running the old software?

Surely it's only when the software is updated to the latest version that the issue will present itself - regardless of new or old muffler? Sounds like the muffler design is unchanged.

Or.. are they saying it's a combination of new software AND a new muffler design?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kief
Yeah, you and I have been recently going back and forth on the Thread you started.

I asked you to check your exhaust valves and see if they open completely...did you get around to it?
Not yet - the dealer still has the car. I'm going in to pick it up tomorrow. The dealer is going to take me a on a test ride in a MY 2017 R to show me that it works the same way.

I'm still very disappointed in this outcome. They should not have applied an update that was going to so drastically change my car without my prior approval.

will circle back tomorrow with an update.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm sure VAP can fix all sound issues with one of their exhausts

Old 08-17-2017, 06:47 PM

That has crossed my mind several times. However, the issue here is the spark that induces the popping noises. Which is controlled by the ecm. That being said, the only way vap exhaust helps is if it prevent the scenario that causes the ecm to go into no spark mode.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Old 08-18-2017, 04:39 AM

Their response doesn't seem to make sense either.

They have stated it's the software that has changed the way the valves operate. So why would people who have their mufflers replaced experience the issue (like me) as I am still running the old software?

Surely it's only when the software is updated to the latest version that the issue will present itself - regardless of new or old muffler? Sounds like the muffler design is unchanged.

Or.. are they saying it's a combination of new software AND a new muffler design?
Would you mind looking into your exhaust and confirming that both your valves are fully open/identical to each other (parallel to the exhaust pipe) after turning off the car and having been in Dynamic Mode? Thanks

Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Would you mind looking into your exhaust and confirming that both your valves are fully open/identical to each other (parallel to the exhaust pipe) after turning off the car and having been in Dynamic Mode? Thanks
Absolutely - both are fully open.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-drivers.jpg   2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?-passenger.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ek993:
Kief (08-18-2017), SinF (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 AM

Absolutely - both are fully open.
That's what I figured! Both you and zmoothg have confirmed for me that after having your exhausts replaced, both valves open fully.

So I guess I'm being fed a load of fecal matter! Unless you guys never received this "software update" after having your exhausts replaced--but I doubt that

Old 08-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

"So Jaguar created a ECM software update that only allowed the one valve to move fully open and the other to only open partially to turn down the noise level."

Never heard such a nonsens before . The valves are opened by springs located inside the vacuum actuators of the flaps . The ECM can only open or close them completly. No medium position possible with this simple design . My right exhaust valve got stuck in the same position as shown in your pictures because the shaft of the valve got stuck and the spring inside the actuator wasn't strong enough to pull the flap open . Got a new muffler free of charge and both flaps stay fully open now.

Regards
Ulrich

Kief (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool.. no problem with the sound of my '15R that I have noticed but I am sure going to have a look down there to be sure they open completely in order to not miss any of the lovely sound of our cars !

Old 08-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Kief, I'm in the same boat with my new R. The passenger side valves are not fully open.

I have my car going in to the dealer to get the updates to fix the audio crapiness. I'm calling them today to talk about this issue. It's scheduled to go in on the 29th.

Last edited by stahlee; 08-18-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Kief (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by stahlee
Kief, I'm in the same boat with my new R. The right valves are not fully open.

I have my car going in to the dealer to get the updates to fix the audio crapiness. I'm calling them today to talk about this issue. It's scheduled to go in on the 29th.

So maybe there is some truth to this after all, as we both have 2017, and everyone else who has chimed in thus far has had 2016s or earlier???

Old 08-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So maybe there is some truth to this after all, as we both have 2017, and everyone else who has chimed in thus far has had 2016s or earlier???
Perhaps. The dealer had their F Types on the lot for a very long time. My manufacture date is 02/16, so very early in production. Didn't know they were building 17's that early.

Regardless, I'd like to know if the new K309 update will open them fully and make sure the spark is corrected if it's truly changed. It does have less "sound" than the 2016's I test drove.

I left a message with my service guy to get back to me.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"due to the majority of people stated that the vehicle was too loud."

Some people should not buy an F-Type. Mercedes makes a nice quiet 4 door sedan....cmon people!!

Kief (08-18-2017)