F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018MY updated F-Type? - Spy shots, discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The new naming/trim levels are confusing. The previous one was much better to understand.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

More pics here

http://www.evo.co.uk/jaguar/f-type/18699/jaguar-reveals-new-updated-f-type

definitely want to do the led headlights swap (hope its pnp like other brands). Also waiting for first bloke to retr the new screen

I only wish they did the SVR in rwd, would be good excuse to upgrade

Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

i have actually confused myself, the 400 sport is a limited edition v6 version not the replacement for the S

Read alot more now, i am actually surprised at the amount of changes! i was just expecting a new infotainment haha

Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 AM

Double post

Last edited by domino_z; 01-10-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 AM

No more rwd v8 means I'll do the headlight swap and look into the new screen retro - it's hard though to do that stuff on this car here in Aus, dealer wouldn't have a clue how to software flash it even if the hardware is pnp

Last edited by domino_z; 01-10-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I agree regarding the new front end. The launch front looked great because the vertical bar followed the line of the car (even going through the headlamp via the signature strip). All their variations since then have broken that line and made the front look too wide and gaping.

Originally Posted by domino_z
definitely want to do the led headlights swap (hope its pnp like other brands).
They won't be. The existing bi-xenon lamps have no connection to the car's networks which would be needed for the speed-adjusted throw. It would be unusual to bring the HS or MS CAN networks directly to a headlamp (exposed to damage in the event of an accident), so I suspect the central junction box (with controls the headlamp functions, including positioning) will be different. It is not feasible to retrofit a different JNC to a vehicle because it controls many of the core systems and is highly build specific. (The headlamp levelling modules only control the AFS movement --think left-to-right-- and not the vertical levelling.)

It may be possible to fit them with limited functions (no speed adjustments, just operating as normal AFS headlamps), but until the schematics go live on TOPIx it is not possible to tell.

I'm not sure if I like the new lamps to look at, although as headlamps I'm sure they will be great (the LEDs on their other cars are very effective). The limited space they had available to fit two projectors in meant they had to stack them which just looks odd to me with the large diffused blank area at the top. With my X351 I upgraded the headlamps because they look nicer to me, but the original F-Type headlamps are visually very attractive bits of engineering already.

Also waiting for first bloke to retr the new screen
If you already have the non-IAM infotainment system then it will likely be possible (not pnp but not impossible). The IAM systems may be harder to upgrade because they date from a time pre-InControl and pre-telematics.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Double post
i agree. i prefer my 2017 front end way more. the infotainment screen looks good though; will i be able to update the infotainment software on my car? or do you need a 2018MY for the new screen look?

Old 01-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by diablomkii
i agree. i prefer my 2017 front end way more. the infotainment screen looks good though; will i be able to update the infotainment software on my car? or do you need a 2018MY for the new screen look?
I believe the infotainment systems (touch v. touch pro) have different hardware. But looking at the 18 model, it looks like the new infotainment system looks like touch pro mixed in with touch.

Maybe they are doing away with options and all will have the new variant?

Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Adz3000
i have actually confused myself, the 400 sport is a limited edition v6 version not the replacement for the S

Read alot more now, i am actually surprised at the amount of changes! i was just expecting a new infotainment haha

And honestly this is the only real change I am jealous of. I assume we can update at a cost?

Am curious as to ditched S for new R with the LE model. Sounds nifty. Was the car throttle wrong that previous version S was only 375hp? I think it is 385?

Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

...dealer wouldn't have a clue how to software flash it...

Good thing Cambo is native to your continent.

The following users liked this post:
domino_z (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There will be a GoPro app for the car which would be great to capture trips.

Apparently the 400 Sport is only for 2018 and will not be permanent.

Jaguar has also rejigged the lineup. The base option remains the F-Type equipped with a 340-horsepower supercharged 3.0-liter V-6, though this engine is also equipped in a new model called the F-Type R-Dynamic. The latter is essentially a base F-Type with a few sporty elements inspired by the design of the more hardcore F-Type R. Those sporty elements include 19-inch wheels, a body kit, gloss black accents, an active exhaust and LED headlights.

Above the F-Type R-Dynamic is the F-Type R-Dynamic V6, still boasting a supercharged 3.0-liter V-6. It replaces the F-Type S in the current lineup and matches that car’s 380-hp output. It also benefits from 20-in wheels.

Further up is a new special edition model called the F-Type 400 Sport, which will be available for one model year only. It also boasts Jaguar’s familiar supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 but sees its output boosted to 400 hp. The bump in power is complemented by uprated brakes, custom 20-in wheels, and Jaguar’s Configurable Dynamics performance setting. You’ll easily spot the car by its yellow accents and “400” badging.

Further up still are the F-Type R and F-Type SVR models. These maintain their supercharged 5.0-liter V-8s and respective 550- and 575-hp outputs.
2018 Jaguar F-Type revealed

Old 01-10-2017, 05:14 PM

Yeh I think it's a slightly larger 8" screen vs the full fat 10" as that wouldn't have physically fit within the existing cluster - where is he brain of the unit, or is it all one piece with the screen attached

the leds I agree don't look as good as the bi xenon - my car has the full option headlight, so I'll wait to see what features get lost in the retro.

I'm not too fussed on the dynamic features, I have full dynamic led headlights on my m3 and they are cool trick at first with the tunneling effect following cars but then you end up just preferring a well aligned fixed beam pattern that is much less distracting

The leds I want more for the colour, my eyes have gotten used to leds on all my other cars now (I do a lot of night hill driving), and for some reason I couldn't physically fit the philips ultinon 6000k bulbs in the car as the metal base of the bulb was slightly larger than the osram brand - so I've ended up with osram cbi

Last edited by domino_z; 01-10-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Updates look fine and package differences to create new interest is good. Updated infotainment big reason to consider. Looks like 400 might be a deal as it comes with 20's standard, and alittel different interior. Includes what used to be part of " performance pack."

Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT h0llywood
Further up is a new special edition model called the F-Type 400 Sport, which will be available for one model year only. It also boasts Jaguar’s familiar supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 but sees its output boosted to 400 hp. The bump in power is complemented by uprated brakes, custom 20-in wheels, and Jaguar’s Configurable Dynamics performance setting. You’ll easily spot the car by its yellow accents and “400” badging.
Except for the yellow accents, it sounds like I already have an F-Type 450 Sport (but with an MT). I'll take a pass on the lipstick, thank you.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Except for the yellow accents, it sounds like I already have an F-Type 450 Sport (but with an MT). I'll take a pass on the lipstick, thank you.
I was thinking the same thing; you're already there and then some!

Cheers,
Dave

As far as the 2018 changes go; I'm happy to see they haven't messed with things much. The new nose is a marginal improvement.....kinda P7-ish but not as exaggerated. The headlights look cool and the lighter seats would be a benefit but overall there is nothing drastic that would make me want to trade for a newer car. .....and in the bigger picture, I'm happy that JLR didn't screw up the looks of the car.

2 cents

Old 01-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Pretty mild facelift for sure. And not a peep about the 4 cyl?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that new car is kinda ugly... Doesn't look as aggressive.

The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (06-27-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 04:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The facelift has significant interior cosmetic changes, which in my opinion are positive. Of note:

1. Magnesium backed seats - lighter by 8kg. Performance version has more detailing and more pronounced shoulder wings. Standard on Type R & SVR. Another 5cm of rearward travel too for the taller amongst us.
2. Air conditioned seats (not sure if these were optional before?)
3. Siena Tan leather (my favourite!) now available across the range not just on SVR.

4. Satin chrome finish on start button. Noble chrome on door switch packs, AC vent bezels and steering wheel.
5. 3 new centre console finishes dependant on model + carbon fibre as optional across the range.

Exterior wise, it looks as though some new colours will be made available such as Carpathian Grey. Of interest is the new upgraded front LED headlights emit at 5500-6000k which should look decent and the rear LED units have been darkened to look more purposeful.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts
Default Jaguar reveals new, updated F-Type for 2018

Jag’s sports car gets new tech, a new look and two new models:

Jaguar reveals new, updated F-type | Evo

Old 01-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

It would be good if they could shed a couple of hundreds pounds of a future model.
No mention of a V-8.
Lawrence

Quick Reply: 2018MY updated F-Type? - Spy shots, discussion