F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

380 mm front brakes - calipers -spare parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 380 mm front brakes - calipers -spare parts

I would like to change colour of my front and rears calipers.
Have performance brakes 380 mm front and 325 mm rear.

I want to fully dismantle calipers and remove the paint and let them paint somewhere. Once I will dismantle them I need new rubber seal. I don't want to use old rubber seal again and that is my problem, because don't know where to get a new rubber seal. Rear brakes should not be a problem, but I have no info about front brake system.

Does anybody from you know?

It is number 7:

Last edited by diplomat; 01-19-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:16 AM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you not go to the dealer's parts department and order it.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

That is a pic of the base or "performance" 355 mm front brakes (18"), not the 380 mm (19") ones, and the parts listed on the right are a mixture of the two. Which means part #7 may or may not fit your 380 mm brakes, so double check before you buy!
Also there is no real need to remove and dismantle the brakes to have them painted, it's very easy to DIY with the brakes still on the car, using caliper paint either in a spray can or applying it with a brush. Doing it that way will save you a heap of time, effort and money and it will look just as good as sending them out to be painted, as long as you are careful and take your time.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

is removigle the part 11 where the logo jaguar is on top ?

Old 01-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by indietor
is removigle the part 11 where the logo jaguar is on top ?
That is simply the anti-rattle clip/spring, and yes it comes off really easily (too easy in fact, it tends to spring off with a lot of force and disappear somewhere over the other side of the garage!). Just gently lever with a screwdriver.
The 355 mm one is simple to reinstall but the 380 mm one is a PITA which takes a real knack and preferably a helper.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
That is simply the anti-rattle clip/spring, and yes it comes off really easily (too easy in fact, it tends to spring off with a lot of force and disappear somewhere over the other side of the garage!). Just gently lever with a screwdriver.
The 355 mm one is simple to reinstall but the 380 mm one is a PITA which takes a real knack and preferably a helper.
Help!!! indeed is a PITA to reinstall the 380mm anti-rattle clip/spring, I've spent hours and still no luck, any tips??

This is what the Service Manual says, I've absolutely had no clue how to interpret this? Bottom arm? Upper arm? What????

Secure the bottom arm of the anti-rattle spring
under the bottom anchor bracket of the caliper.
Compress the upper spring arm into the correct
position, under the upper anchor bracket, whilst
retaining the logo plate.
Using the screw-driver, tap the central locating tag
into the locked position.

Last edited by Miauuu; 06-16-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Miauuu
Help!!! indeed is a PITA to reinstall the 380mm anti-rattle clip/spring, I've spent hours and still no luck, any tips??

This is what the Service Manual says, I've absolutely no clue how to interpret this? Bottom arm? Upper arm? What????

Secure the bottom arm of the anti-rattle spring
under the bottom anchor bracket of the caliper.
Compress the upper spring arm into the correct
position, under the upper anchor bracket, whilst
retaining the logo plate.
Using the screw-driver, tap the central locating tag
into the locked position.
Yes, the first time I tried I gave up after about two hours of struggle and took the car to my mechanic who reinstalled them in a jiffy. I couldn't really see how he did it and his explanation was just as vague as the Manual.
But I eventually figured out how to do it quickly and easily, but with the help of a helper.
Here's my method:
Position the two ends ("feet") in place under the slots on the edges of the caliper - this is what they mean by "secure the bottom arm" - you will need to bend the arms slightly which takes a bit of pressure to get them in, and keep pressure on them. Make sure you don't bend or dislodge either of the little metal caps on the ends of the arms/feet, but if you do they are easy to put back on, just slide them on and squeeze the tangs back tight with pliers. The whole clip will now be "sort of" in place up against the caliper except it will be fairly loose (coz there is only a little bit of tension on the spring at the moment) and sitting about 2 cm below it's final/correct spot.
Then, while holding the two ends/feet in as firmly as you can so they don't pop out, place the tip of a very large flat blade screwdriver under the bottom edge of the very centre of the spring (arm part) and use the screwdriver to lever the clip "up and in".
This is where you will probably need a helper - someone with strong fingers to push on the two ends/feet to stop them from popping out while you lever the clip up and in.
Then tap the whole lot back in tight to the caliper with the butt of the screwdriver, although I usually find this step is not needed.
It will probably take a few tries before you get it right but once you do you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

Old 06-16-2019, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Interesting. I found it easiest to put the middle of the clip in first, and then press the ends in place last.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Interesting. I found it easiest to put the middle of the clip in first, and then press the ends in place last.
Yep, apparently that is another way of doing it (which in fact seems to be the method outlined in the Manual), but I tried that way for hours and hours and it never worked for me.
Every single time I went to press the second end into place the middle would pop out and/or the first end would pop out and bend/damage/dislodge the little cap on the end for good measure!
Now that I have "got the knack" of my method it takes 10 seconds flat for each clip.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you OzXFR, after reading your helpful posts and another thread at the XF forum, the key is doing EXACTLY what you said PLUS (and this is the key) use zip ties to prevent arms from slipping out and there's no need of a helper. 4 hours to get the damn anti-rattle clips, this is by far the most difficult task of replacing the pads/rotors.

Last edited by Miauuu; 06-16-2019 at 11:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Miauuu
Thank you OzXFR, after reading your helpful posts and another thread at the XF forum, the key is doing EXACTLY what you said PLUS (and this is the key) use zip ties to prevent arms from slipping out and there's no need of a helper. 4 hours to get the damn anti-rattle clips, this is by far the most difficult task of replacing the pads/rotors.
Never thought of using zip ties myself but thanks for the tip if I ever need to refit the anti-rattle clips and I'm on my lonesome!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Brilliant example of British engineering. I remember having to either remove the A/C compressor or detach a tie rod to replace the alternator on my '85 XJ6. Also, on the '85 the rotors were bolted on and the bolts were accessed through an aperture on the back side, one bolt at a time--but at least the pads (front ones at least; back ones a whole different story) were easy to replace. I would still like to have the old girl back though.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Brilliant example of British engineering.
ATE brakes are a German supplier, aren't they? Our Daimler-era Dodge has ATE brakes in front with similar clips (doesn't have the 'Logo Plate', though).

I can name several engineering 'quirks' on most of the cars I've owned. You just learn to work around them (the zip-ties are a GREAT example of that!).

Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
ATE brakes are a German supplier, aren't they? Our Daimler-era Dodge has ATE brakes in front with similar clips (doesn't have the 'Logo Plate', though).

I can name several engineering 'quirks' on most of the cars I've owned. You just learn to work around them (the zip-ties are a GREAT example of that!).
Yep, the 380 mm front brake calipers are made by ATE.
I don't think they are "off the shelf" items and they have been on Jags since at least 2009 (the original XFR) and possibly earlier, I believe they are unique to Jags (and maybe some Range Rovers) and were commissioned / designed by JLR. If so we can blame JLR not ATE for the crappy anti-rattle clip design as surely they could/should have come up with something better!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

put
Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, the 380 mm front brake calipers are made by ATE.
I don't think they are "off the shelf" items and they have been on Jags since at least 2009 (the original XFR) and possibly earlier, I believe they are unique to Jags (and maybe some Range Rovers) and were commissioned / designed by JLR. If so we can blame JLR not ATE for the crappy anti-rattle clip design as surely they could/should have come up with something better!
Any other design, though, would not have been sufficiently idiosyncratic to put on a JAAAG!

Old 06-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2

Alfred Teves ....... ATE

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Teves

Old 07-02-2019, 06:20 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Dies that anti-rattle clip have a logo on it? If so, I've always wondered why my calipers didn't say Jaguar. I wonder if mine are missing?

Old 07-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SS4PK
Dies that anti-rattle clip have a logo on it? If so, I've always wondered why my calipers didn't say Jaguar. I wonder if mine are missing?
Show us a pic. We can then tell you if you’re missing something. Anti-rattle clip is far too narrow to have anything printed on it.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

SS4PK, my understanding is that the F-Type 380 mm brakes anti-rattle clips always came with the "JAGUAR" graphic on them.
It's possible that you do have them but they have faded right away, when I picked up my F-Type with 20 months and 18,000 miles on it the graphics had faded so much they were barely visible and I stuck new decals over the top.
Have a very close look at your anti-rattle clips and you might see the ghosts of the graphics!

Edit - here's a pic of one of my front wheels not long after I got the car and before I stuck new decals on the anti-rattle clips.
You can just make out the OEM "JAGUAR" graphic but it is faint and a yellow/gold colour.

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-02-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I do see a faint jaguar. I’ve not had the brakes off yet, but it looks like there is a clip that is about 8” long with the two prongs previously mentioned. I plan to replace them with Porterfields this fall. I’ll try and remember to take a pic tomorrow during the daylight. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: 380 mm front brakes - calipers -spare parts