F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 months of ownership - impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 04:47 PM
Received 69 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 6 months of ownership - impressions

One reason I own an F-Type is because it’s a beautiful automobile! Remarkably, the basic design is 10 years old, yet timeless. I’ll park the car, and I find myself turning around to admire it as I walk away. Truly, it is a spiritual successor to the classic E-Type.

The first month driving the car, I was quite surprised by other admirers. I got thumbs up, waves, a gaggle of kids running up and taking pictures; it was really quite distracting, and I learned it’s best to pay less attention to this, and more to my driving. I took my Mother-in-law for a ride. She said “why is that person waving at me? I don’t know them”. Haha. I take The Jag to a car show, and it draws people like moths to a flame.

I came from the world of antique British cars (1973 TR6). Learning to drive this modern sports car took some effort. I found the button (far right on the bottom) to shut off the 10” screen. I turned off the sound system. For weeks I drove, just listening to the car and feeling it’s movement and reaction to input. I sat in the garage and practiced using the many controls without looking. I spent the winter reading the 300 page owner’s manual.

After six months of Jaguar F-Type ownership, I must say I just love this car. When you mash the pedal it takes off like a rocket. The optional heated/cooled seats are very comfortable and supportive. The sound system with CarPlay rocks. The auto transmission is the best I’ve ever owned. The car corners like it’s on rails. The only fault I have is the that the original equipment Pirelli tires are hard as a rock, and JLR service is spotty (both well documented in this forum).

Now, Covid cases are high in the northeast, and I got it, last week. My symptoms were mild, but I still had to isolate for a week. The highlight of my days was taking a drive in The Jag. Now, I feel much better.

I suppose that I’m preaching to the choir, but I just wanted to share my early impressions. Last, I will say that this forum has been a great source of information and help, and for that I am grateful.

The following 16 users liked this post by stirlingsilver:
BruceTheQuail (05-18-2022), Carbuff2 (05-19-2022), DJS (05-19-2022), eeeeek (05-18-2022), INDY - F Type (05-26-2022), Mahjik (05-18-2022), MajorTom (05-19-2022), Nodnarb (05-19-2022), scm (05-19-2022), sov211 (05-19-2022), SVR 575 (05-18-2022), Thunder Dump (05-18-2022), Thunderjet Racing (04-09-2023), Valerie Stabenow (05-19-2022), ViperX100 (05-18-2022), walko789 (05-18-2022) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

I couldn't have put it any better. Years later, the feeling remains (except the 10" screen cooled seats and carplay..I don't have those).

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
stirlingsilver (05-19-2022), walko789 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I write on behalf of my wife as she is the one that took delivery of a 2022 F-Type coupe in January. Pretty much every day she reminds me how much she loves the car. We took it on a 1,500 mile journey recently and were quite surprised at the refinement and comfort. We have the sports seats with cooling. When you first sit in them you think there’s only about a millimeter of padding but I was amazed during the 8 hour drive—not a single aching bone. Also fairly quite at speed. Noise levels don’t rise much as speed increases unless you mash the pedal to the floor—but that noise is music to the ear of course. Also, the cabin is very well put together. No rattles or creaks.

We were stranded once in the F-Type as I have previously posted—but this was due to a loose battery terminal that the dealer admitted was their fault. So I don’t count it as a reliability issue. I’m also happy with our dealer service dispute said problem as they have been impeccable in the 9-10 years we’ve been a customer.

The only downside to living with the F-Type my wife tells me is that other drivers tend not to see her car when changing lanes. Numerous times she’s had to take evasive action.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:20 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't get any real looks where I am at. Too many exotics running around to worry about my little Jaguar. I will say I love the design of the car and it looks like a piece of art to me. I have owned it going on 2 years and still just love the look as well as the performance. I was looking at several cars before this and although I really miss my 911, I still wouldn't part with the Jaguar. Glad to hear you are enjoying the car. I could use your cooling seats about now in AZ!

The following users liked this post:
walko789 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 09:38 AM
Received 359 Likes on 230 Posts

I have had my 2021 F Type R a year as of this week. I too continue to receive compliments almost any time I stop somewhere, usually along the lines of "that is a beautiful car or color" (it is BRG) or "what kind of car is that ? A Jaguar ? Ahhh....nice". And I continue to be impressed with the performance. It is well suited as a true Gran Turismo and when you put your foot into it or get into a long stretch of twisty highway, it brings smiles.

I do shut off the center display screen when driving at night, I like the cabin ambiance with just the gauge display that I have selected and the color and intensity of the ambient lighting feature. The longest I have driven in one stretch was about 3 hours and I only experienced a little discomfort on the bottom of my thighs just above the knee joints.

I have found that if I set the cruise control at 70 MPH and get on a long stretch of freeway, I can achieve 27 MPG. But I live in the mountains so am averaging about 20.3 MPG. And as of yesterday, the price up here is $6.80 a gallon for 91 octane. Yikes ! Good thing I don't depend upon my F Type for daily, long commuting.

I have enabled the Android Auto feature but haven't really used it yet. For music, I usually listen to Sirius XM and I wish they streamed a higher fidelity signal. When not listening to Sirius, I listen to music from USB sticks that was recorded at the highest quality possible. The Meridian Surround System is OK but I have to admit that years of abuse to my hearing from loud rock concerts, loud stereos, motorcycles with no mufflers and shooting has left me with tinnitus so I can't appreciate a good sound system very much anyway.

The following users liked this post:
walko789 (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 05:22 PM
Received 268 Likes on 173 Posts
Default congrats on joining!

After many years of British sports cars, a 74 Spitfire, a 74 Midget, 62 MGA, 74 TR6, 67 TR4A and a 69 series2 E type, my husband suggested I look around for a "modern' Jaguar. I had been disinterested, simply because I hadn't seen any I liked and worse, none that I thought had a manual transmission. On a whim, I googled " Jaguar manual transmission" and the F type I ended up buying came up first on the screen. Yes, the spiritual successor to the E types and I now have a 2017 as a garage-mate to the 69. It had a few things that needed sorting, but I have an excellent service writer and tech at the dealer here. I really like the Climate control system that it has, and the electric assist power steering. The Meridian 770 sound system is very poor, and I am trying to decide if I want to attempt removing the door panels to upgrade the speakers. The throttle response is amazing for a 6 cylinder and the body design is spectacular. I don't mind washing and cleaning it, just to look at it.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:51 PM
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Hands down the most beautiful modern car.