F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
I'm really pleased your car is Ok. But yours is a rarity. Every F I have been in has the same problem; vibrating left door trim.
Actually, my F type R has a vibrating RIGHT speaker!

Old 11-15-2014, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

A good dealer makes all the difference really. They chase manufacture for a fix if they really care or the blame manufacturer if they don't want to deal with it. Many of my Maserati Ghibli fixes were dealer pushes!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
A good dealer makes all the difference really. They chase manufacture for a fix if they really care or the blame manufacturer if they don't want to deal with it. Many of my Maserati Ghibli fixes were dealer pushes!
Couldn't agree more. I've seen this with the lower volume brands and non-group owned dealerships. I had a superb experience with Lotus dealers, because they hire staff who are also enthusiasts and care and the dealers themselves are privately owned. In the UK, most of our dealerships are owned by big groups and sales reps move every year or so from group to group and its the same with the service technicians. The are driven by volumes and moving product. I have found with Jaguar a few long termers who give a damn, but they are the minority which is such a shame.

The real problem with Jaguar is the Customer Relations Centre. IMOP and based on hours of engaging their staff, there is a fundamental cultural issue that permeates the team and those that do care feel like they have their hands tied behind their backs.

The following 3 users liked this post by mawheele:
DuhCar (11-15-2014), Foosh (11-15-2014), Tel (03-28-2015)
Old 11-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys for going through channels to try to get this resolved. Hopefully by the time I get mine it'll be sorted.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Firstly, let me say how I can appreciate the frustration many of you must be feeling, I do sympathise.

That being said, please take this on board.

Ryan, or Pete, any of his colleagues at Jaguar who fulfill the Jaguar customer care position, are here to help in any way they can.

Please understand that their powers are limited, as is their remit to assist. They do however listen, help when / where they can and pass on any relevant info where possible.

They are a valuable resource to this community and one we will do our best to work with as closely as possible.

I say again, in no uncertain terms, please do not take your frustration out on Ryan, he has given the best advice he can at this point, its up to you whether you decide to follow it or not.

By all means have your say, but anyone considered to be abusing the Jaguar customer care reps will likely be removed from the site.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm new to this F-Type forum. I used to have an XFR, and now I have an F type R. I've had the car for approximately 2 1/2 weeks, and I love it.

The only thing is that I'm starting to get a sub woofer buzz out of the speaker behind the passenger seat. Fortunately, I do not think that this is so much an issue regarding the quality of the speakers, as opposed to my brother forcing the seat all the way back loosening the rear panel that houses the speaker. It took me a while to figure out why the buzzing was so pronounced on one side, but when I compared the tightness of the panels, I figured out what happened. I have to get this addressed sooner than later.

That said, I think that the quality of the signal is what affects the quality of the sound. There are certain frequencies that do better than others. I would suspect that the cleaner the signal, the better the sound quality. I've heard that high end equipment typically will exploit the shortcomings of certain signals and original recordings. Could this be what's going on when people are complaining of quality issues?

As I said, my issue really has to do with a loose panel that seems to be vibrating with the deepest bass sounds. Certainly, the panel should not have been loosened just because the seat was pushed back, but it seems to be more of an easily diagnosed issue than something inherent in the design of the speaker or system. Before the panel was loosened, I had no issues with the sound system.

The following 2 users liked this post by XFactoR:
JimC64 (11-15-2014), mawheele (11-16-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

*UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE*

Took the car in today to have the service center take a listen... apparently, the ACM (audio control module) had faulted and thrown up a code, its being replaced.

I took the car home instead of leaving it while part is being ordered. I comprised a list of songs that make the car rattle so I can play them when I get there and let them listen normally - but turns out, there was something electrically wrong with the audio system.

What does an ACM do?

No clue.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

An audio control module (ACM) controls audio, of course. Just kidding . . . it's probably where all the speakers are plugged in.

I hope it works for you!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Meridian System 6 speakers

I have just purchased a new F Type Coupe V6S, which i love.

However, the sound system is appalling. Even with the base turned right down (which you should never have to do), the vibrating from the drivers door is unbearable.

The sound quality is just all base, its not clear at all.

Even with the sound on very low, both spoken word and music create a buzzing/vibrating noise.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 05:42 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool Really?

They better have a fix for this by MY2016 or I ain't buying one! C'mon JLR get your act together!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Audio concerns

Hi contracy1000

Thanks for your post.

I have attempted to PM you but am unable to do so.

I am sorry to learn of the concern you are experiencing and would be grateful if you could provide me with the following details;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant Jaguar retailer

In addition, can you please confirm if you have taken your vehicle to your retailer yet for them to investigate this concern.

Should you wish for me to look into your concern, please email me at jlrcrcsm@jaguarlandrover.com with the aforementioned information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards

Ryan

The following 2 users liked this post by CRC@Jaguar:
Foosh (11-26-2014), JimC64 (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks for the assist Ryan, much appreciated

Nice to hear that Jaguar are listening

Old 11-26-2014, 06:06 AM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a 2015 coupe R and on reading this thread i thought i'd try my std but upgraded on the R meridien system, turned up loud its just really loud, no buzzing or vibrations.
I had a play with the settings and apart from the base being very bassy if turned up to much, it sounded great.
I must be lucky!!

Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo
I have a 2015 coupe R and on reading this thread i thought i'd try my std but upgraded on the R meridien system, turned up loud its just really loud, no buzzing or vibrations.
I had a play with the settings and apart from the base being very bassy if turned up to much, it sounded great.
I must be lucky!!
Not just you.. mine is good as well from the perspective of buzzing etc.. the concern I had was that on the "Meridian' setting for instance, the rear speakers remained silent no matter the fade control setting.. ended up using DTS which is better.

Even on DTS, only certain tracks (radio FM) bring the rear speakers alive, so I think its something to do with the source itself.

Anyway, when I take the car in to the dealer in the spring (heavy winter here) I will ask them to check it out.
Lawrence.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sound system SUCKS

I agree fully with the assessment of the sound system. It rattles... bass is just useless unless it's at high enough volume so that you don't hear the rattling. It's disappointing for sure. I still Love the F-Type R... but when I drive the Bimmer, it's refreshing to hear better sound (in a car that is less than half the price...)

The following 2 users liked this post by sugashane76:
DuhCar (03-24-2015), mawheele (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by sugashane76
I agree fully with the assessment of the sound system. It rattles... bass is just useless unless it's at high enough volume so that you don't hear the rattling. It's disappointing for sure. I still Love the F-Type R... but when I drive the Bimmer, it's refreshing to hear better sound (in a car that is less than half the price...)

Please continue to escalate this to Jaguar. Despite this issue now receiving press coverage in the UK's leading motoring press last week, they still seem to avoiding issuing a TSB to help all owners get this fixed or even acknowledging this is a widespread issue.

They've known for 18 months now and done zip. Head and sand come to mind. My problem is, I really do believe they'd be no different even if it were safety related.

DuhCar (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

For anyone who already hasn't done so, I'd suggest reading through the following article.

Meridian Surround Sound System review ? Jaguar F-Type | What Hi-Fi?

Interesting that the "speakers" behind the seat are NOT Coaxial, they are simply a Mid Range. I would assume they are more like "surround sound" speakers that don't put out much in Meridian mode.

Also of interest is the system actually changes the output based upon if the top is up or down... (Guess that doesn't apply to the Coupe)

The following 3 users liked this post by TXJagR:
Mulmur (03-24-2015), Tel (03-28-2015), Unhingd (03-24-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Thumbs down Just picked up my F yesterday and own a 15 XJL

Originally Posted by Ryan@Jaguar
Hi All,

I have just came across this thread.

If anyone is having any issues/has any questions then please just send me a PM and I will look into it.

Many Thanks

Mike
Ryan, I am appalled at the sound on the F type base Meridian. It is junk compared to the XJL, which isn't perfect but much cleaner, punchier, and well built.

speakers rattle at moderate volumes and base levels
Turn the base down fully, and tin sound without the base
Turn down the sub, and base up, speakers rattle, with one behind driver side "fwapping" to the music, again at moderate levels
Totally, and I mean 100% unhappy with this sound. Just traded an SL550 in for this car, and the sound is far far far superior to the "F", and just far superior to the XJ.

I am most unhappy with the sound system, which takes such a happy experience on every thing else, and flushes it immediately. I even can tolerate the "invasive" Eco much better than the Sound system. It just flat out "SUCKS"!, and shameful for the money I paid to have this bad an experience all of the way around on the "F" type sound system.

Thanks, and hopefully there is a solution here.

Joe (2015 "F" and XJL owner)

mawheele (03-29-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
Actually, my F type R has a vibrating RIGHT speaker!
Amazing, mine also. the clarity is beautiful, but the vibration is ridiculous!

mawheele (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by slojotaa

I am most unhappy with the sound system, which takes such a happy experience on every thing else, and flushes it immediately. I even can tolerate the "invasive" Eco much better than the Sound system. It just flat out "SUCKS"!, and shameful for the money I paid to have this bad an experience all of the way around on the "F" type sound system.

Thanks, and hopefully there is a solution here.

Joe (2015 "F" and XJL owner)
All - please keep pushing on this subject. 18 months and counting and Jaguar has done NOTHING about this.

They've done nothing on the production line as even new cars still experience the issues.

They've done nothing in terms of issuing a TSB to help impacted owners to properly solve the issue.

They are doing everything possible to ignore the fact that after more than 40,000 views - the most highly trafficked subject (when you combine the 3-4 threads) on this forum. Despite this, apparently they cannot take views as any form of relevance on how wide spread an issue is. Madness.

This issue has even been reported in the UK's most popular motoring press - one that is often criticised for being a mouthpiece for the JLR PR department. Autocar won back my respect with that.

I'm just not sure how much noise we need to create before someone at JLR will finally do something to help us properly. I've given them my car 4 times and for 4 weeks and they don't want to do anything different whilst having a 5th go.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question