F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Can you post a link to the Autocar article? Thanks.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
They are doing everything possible to ignore the fact that after more than 40,000 views - the most highly trafficked subject (when you combine the 3-4 threads) on this forum. Despite this, apparently they cannot take views as any form of relevance on how wide spread an issue is. Madness.
I won't waste time tabulating the actual number, but I would guess that fewer than 50 have reported Meridian issues in the F-Type forum, despite the number of posts. More of those are premium vs. base systems. There may be 40,000 views, but I'm sure JLR has looked at these threads and has done the math. Many posting in these threads report no problems.

However, if everyone who has complained has taken their cars to dealers, and they've failed to have the problem corrected, that is unacceptable. My guess is that many who have complained here haven't taken them back to the dealer.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

We should have a poll.

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
We should have a poll.
Agreed, lets do that. The only positive comments I've seen quite a few times come from Foosh. His car has been perfect, which has been great to hear.

For the rest of us, it helps to keep up to date on the current situation and to learn when JLR will finally see sense.

Every F-Type I have ever been in has the same issue - and I've been in more than several now. Those not impacted are very lucky. But hey, lets have a poll and see.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I won't waste time tabulating the actual numbers
Foosh, they are more than relevant. I don't have access to this sites analytics, but working for a major player in this technology sector, I would place big money on the reason the numbers are so high is likely to do with organic search results. Things like:
"F-Type Audio Issue", "F-Type Meridian Vibration" and maybe even "F-Type Meridian Audio Crappy."

Why do people search these terms? Houston, they have a problem.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed, lets do that. The only positive comments I've seen quite a few times come from Foosh. His car has been perfect, which has been great to hear.

For the rest of us, it helps to keep up to date on the current situation and to learn when JLR will finally see sense.

Every F-Type I have ever been in has the same issue - and I've been in more than several now. Those not impacted are very lucky. But hey, lets have a poll and see.
You're only paying attention to the negatives to continue your "crusade," whereas I'm listening equally to both sides.

The number of very vocal upset people is also a relatively small number. I recall positives from Lovemonet, Mulmur, OzRisk, AnDrew, ApolloRetiree, XFactorR, and those are just off the top of my head now and recent. A number of others have been able to eliminate a door vibration or change the equalizer settings fairly easily and are now relatively satisfied. There have been many more, and then there is the vast silent majority that probably reads the posts but just ignores the whole thing, likely because it's not an issue for them.

I've always been very vocal in expressing my views, but I also believe strongly that both sides should be heard. I've never claimed it was the best car audio system out there, just that it is respectable, much better than some I've heard, and it sounds very good to me.

The 40K views is likely representative of lurkers, the majority of whom are non-owners, with some curiosity of the F-Type and are much more likely to zero in on controversy or problems when curious about a car. Everyone just has to look at a car wreck. Happy stories aren't of much interest to the lurkers, and that's what most of the threads are here.

The following users liked this post:
ApolloBeachRetiree (03-29-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 01:20 AM

You're only paying attention to the negatives to continue your "crusade," whereas I'm listening equally to both sides.

The number of very vocal upset people is also a relatively small number. I recall positives from Lovemonet, Mulmur, OzRisk, AnDrew, ApolloRetiree, XFactorR, and those are just off the top of my head now and recent. A number of others have been able to eliminate a door vibration or change the equalizer settings fairly easily and are now relatively satisfied. There have been many more, and then there is the vast silent majority that probably reads the posts but just ignores the whole thing, likely because it's not an issue for them.

I've always been very vocal in expressing my views, but I also believe strongly that both sides should be heard. I've never claimed it was the best car audio system out there, just that it is respectable, much better than some I've heard, and it sounds very good to me.

The 40K views is likely representative of lurkers, the majority of whom are non-owners, with some curiosity of the F-Type and are much more likely to zero in on controversy or problems when curious about a car. Everyone just has to look at a car wreck. Happy stories aren't of much interest to the lurkers, and that's what most of the threads are here.
Thanks Foosh. Call it a crusade if you like. I'm happy to go with that remark.

A normal fault ratio for a car company wants to be in the percentage points of less than one hand.

Selfishly I would like to get mine fixed properly. But JLR have proved to many of us that without noise they do not pay attention. Others have also commented on their shared experience of the CRC in regard to this matter and the fact that they have not helped.

So, yes my crusade will help me, but as a Forum should, it will help my fellow owner.

Thanks for opening the Poll. Remember anything over 2-3% is what a manufacturer would deem out of spec!

Old 03-30-2015, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

What do you think Jag is going to do? If it is software maybe something or a true manufacture defect the oem supplier would have to agree.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:23 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi slojotaa

Thank you for your post.

I have sent you a PM regarding your concern.

Regards

Ryan

Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for opening the Poll. Remember anything over 2-3% is what a manufacturer would deem out of spec!
That's certainly true for mechanical and most electrical systems. However, if 2-3% dissatisfaction applied to car audio, there wouldn't be a system on the market that could meet that standard.

Why would anyone buy a car based upon an audio system, especially one like this?

[BTW lhoboy started the poll and thanks to him.]

Last edited by Foosh; 03-30-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM

That's certainly true for mechanical and most electrical systems. However, if 2-3% dissatisfaction applied to car audio, there wouldn't be a system on the market that could meet that standard.
At the moment, if we take those who are not completely satisfied or outline a fault/concern over sound quality, then the results are currently showing 45.16% of input.

Those with a rattle are at: 22.58% of the input.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

LOL, it's easy to see what you want to see in numbers, especially if you're looking with biased eyes. I see 22 people OK or better, and 10 people reporting specific problems.

Yesterday, you essentially said that they were all bad, and I was the only one not experiencing a problem.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM

LOL, it's easy to see what you want to see in numbers, especially if you're looking with biased eyes. I see 22 people OK or better, and 10 people reporting specific problems.

Yesterday, you essentially said that they were all bad, and I was the only one not experiencing a problem.
Lol. Just interesting proportions.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

i have not yet weighed in on this topic, as i jut took possession of my R in feb (first Jag ever).

having said that, i did not make this car selection based at all on the radio, as a matter of fact, i never once turned it on during test drives. BUT, i had made some basic assumptions of quality of the stereo on a 2015 car (certainly a luxury brand, like jag). Once i took possession, one of the very first things i notices was how bad the stereo sucked. I was amazed, but since I have seen how unhappy just about everyone is with the f-type stereo.

quite shocking for a $100k+ car.

LOVE the car, hate the stereo. Wouldn't consider reversing my decision, thus i'm sure jag does this math and says, mehhh. i think they know they blew this part of the car and hopefully fix going forward at some point (for new models). i'm not holding my breadth for any relief for existing owners.

flip on the active exhaust and have that be your stereo...

Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

FtypeRRR what factory system have you had that satisfied you? Blind criticism without a reference doesn't mean much. I've previously compared to Harman Kardon surround.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Fair to ask for more specific feedback:

satisfied:
- my porsche cayman bose system (recently sold to make room for the F-Type R)
- my current lexus gx470 mark levinson system
- previous bmw logic7 system
- heck, even current 2012 toyota sienna jbl system
- to be honest, i can't really think of a car that i have had where the stereo was a problem (say from 2000+).

ok, my 1995 F-250 stereo sucks worse than the Jag. that i am pretty confident about. i'll even toss in the 2006 GMC pickup we have as well....but my bar is extremely low on utility pickups that are to get me from here to there, while pulling a trailer.

as stated, i have never purchased a car based on a stereo system (never would), but the system in the Jag stands out because of the poor performance.

i'm sure there are many variables, based on type of music preference (amount of bass, mids, treble, etc.), but my system rattles and just plain pukes on some songs (frequency maybe?).

i don't buy an excuse of cabin size, as my cayman did just fine (another 2-seat car). this appears to be an engineering/design miss.

i feel that my bar is not a high one, by any means. i simply don't want it to rattle and not handle the basic frequency range of music. i should not have to fiddle with the controls every time a new-type of song comes on to make it an acceptable sound (or kill the low end, simply because the system can't handle it).

i don't feel that it is unreasonable to expect a $100k+ car to have a decent stereo that does not sound like it may be falling apart from day one of ownership.

based on the volume of discussion on this particular topic, i suspect this has fallen short of many owners expectations...likely much like myself, meaning it was not a key feature in purchasing this awesome vehicle, but there is an acceptable level of performance that is reasonable to be met.

The following 2 users liked this post by FtypeRRR:
DuhCar (03-31-2015), Foosh (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member

I think everyone of those are better, HK logic 7 being my favorite.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
I think everyone of those are better, HK logic 7 being my favorite.
Agree 100%. Exiting a BMW with an upgraded HK sound system to the Jag / Meridian combo was disappointing at best. Note that my current / prior experience comes via the wife's Mercedes and a slew of other cars (an Audi, another BMW, Mini and two Nissans), all with stock, though factory upgraded sound systems.

I get it, first world problem and a small blemish on the beauty of the car as a whole, but it feels like a little bit of extra time to finish this off in a way that is suitable for a car of this caliber would not have been a monumental task. Address ill fitting covers here, slightly upgraded drivers there, a bit of deadening material and there you go. I'm not expecting it to compare to my home system, but right now it sort of feels like they left it to the intern. My two cents and yes, somewhat.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:02 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Sound System Concern

Hi all

Thank you for your posts.

I note your comments and would ask if you have had the opportunity to raise your concerns with your selling retailer.

If you have already done so and require any additional assistance, please feel free to PM me with your details and I will request that you are contacted by the Customer Relations Department for your relevant vehicle market.

Regards

Ryan

The following 2 users liked this post by CRC@Jaguar:
Cambo (03-31-2015), JimC64 (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan@Jaguar
Hi all

Thank you for your posts.

I note your comments and would ask if you have had the opportunity to raise your concerns with your selling retailer.

If you have already done so and require any additional assistance, please feel free to PM me with your details and I will request that you are contacted by the Customer Relations Department for your relevant vehicle market.

Regards

Ryan
Ryan,

Your dealers need instruction via way of a TSB to be able to properly help affected customers.

Jaguar has been aware of this issue for 18 months and up until now dealers have received advice to tape cables and apply foam. This is not a proper solution and your dealers are equally frustrated.

As you can see from this thread, dealers are now resorting to proposing third party solutions to fix the problem.

I will happily provide my car to any one of your dealerships for a fifth week as soon as a formal TSB is communicated with a properly worked through solution.

We appreciate your help!

The following 2 users liked this post by mawheele:
DuhCar (03-31-2015), Foosh (03-31-2015)

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question