F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was seriously thinking of the 2017 SVR hoping the stereo system was better than in my 2016 Type R with he blown bass distortion which Jag was unable to repair. When I looked on the forum where someone had posted the 2017 brochure looks like no change. Real bummer but the stereo really ruined the car for me as it was my daily driver now at a loss for what my next car will be.

The following users liked this post:
Ubad2 (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I'm not sure this is just a vibration issue fixed by foam or dynomat. The satellite radio is very poor sounding. There is some other issue with mine, with the way different frequencies are handled. I enjoy listening to music and in my car, so I need a better resolution.
May be, but most of them were vibration, fixed by the foam/dynomat. I will repeat that you need to be professionally assertive, and never give up with JLNA. Finding the right person is key, and they "WILL SEND" an engineer to meet you at the dealership and have a "joint" listen. Dealer actually backed off to allow this to happen for me, and it was successful in my case.

I hope that they resolve for you....it is only right and customer centric.

jaguny (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by martybmw
I was seriously thinking of the 2017 SVR hoping the stereo system was better than in my 2016 Type R with he blown bass distortion which Jag was unable to repair. When I looked on the forum where someone had posted the 2017 brochure looks like no change. Real bummer but the stereo really ruined the car for me as it was my daily driver now at a loss for what my next car will be.
Interesting that I just ordered the F-Pace with the top Meridian system. Why after all of the issues with the 2015 F-Type S stereo? The answer for me is that the system in my XJL, which is the base Meridian is absolutely flawless and satisfying. Something about the cab (which should be easier in the F-Type), the speaker system itself, amplification, and placement is so off. In fact the rear speakers are not "SUB" woofers, but rather woofers as stated and most of the solid base now comes from the door panels for me. In order to make it as flawless as possible, despite the fix which improved it for me by a solid 80%.

Awesome car, awesome sound from the pipes, "FLAWED" audio engineering, spotty Quality Control at the factory since the issue is spotty since the first models, and overall thumbs down with result...... ! That is the bottom line, and shouldn't be.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Jaguar sent me a survey after my recent service visit. I listed the issue with the stereo in the comments and asked JLR contact me. I'll see if this can lead somewhere. From a technical perspective, once foam or other sound deadning measures are addressed, and in my case an amplifier replaced, what does that leave if others systems sound good? Bad speakers, loose wiring connections? You would think each systems crossovers are set up the same way? Any stereo technicians out there?

@slojotaa: My LR4's Meridian system in the HSE does not have any issues, so I understand not abandoning a brand over one problem.
One of my business partners bought a BMW Z vert a few years back, the stereo could not be fixed. They replaced the whole system for him. He's a loyal BMW customer since then.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-24-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by martybmw
I don't understand this. If you can afford a SVR (or an F-Type R) you can afford to throw a few thousand at an aftermarket car stereo shop and have a stereo that sounds far better than any car manufacturer will ever give you.

The F-Type is such an amazing car. Don't let a fixable thing like the stereo ruin it for you.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I completely agree with Lobster as the stereo is a rather simple fix. Though I have absolutely no issues with the stereo in my car on any mode (radio, satellite or ipod) I have an appointment for May 9th for the complete stereo overhaul to be done very similar to Lobster's set-up.

Lobster,

If this doesn't sound good I'm going to drive down to Atlanta and find you. LOL The only differences is you went with Alpine Type R sub and I went with JL Audio and you went with JL Audio amps and I went with Alpine PDX's.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolas Robin
Hi everyone,
I just join this thread from France to give my feedback on the 770w Meridian system on my 16 FType R : I've never experienced such a horrible sound in any of the car I've been driven... Rattles, distortions, etc. even Bluetooth calls is horrible! What a shame for a system that costs €3,000 here in France!!
Of course my dealer is not aware of any problem of this kind from JLR (that made me laugh when I saw the number of messages on this thread...) and it seems to be no solution to fix this horrible sound system...
I also tried with several other FType at the dealer and they had exact same issue regarding distortion (but less rattles than mine.)

Does any of you have any update about this (3-year) problem ??
I really enjoy music and it just pisses me off to have to turn off the audio system while driving...
Nicolas, sorry to hear that your are experiencing this issue as well. I took my car 3 times to my original dealership, and they didn't even do anything. The 4th time I took it to another dealership, and even thought they replaced the center front speaker, the issues still persist.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I don't understand this. If you can afford a SVR (or an F-Type R) you can afford to throw a few thousand at an aftermarket car stereo shop and have a stereo that sounds far better than any car manufacturer will ever give you.

The F-Type is such an amazing car. Don't let a fixable thing like the stereo ruin it for you.
The F-Type is an amazing car, but this issue can be a deal breaker for those who enjoy listening to music in their cars. Plus, why should anyone have to spend extra money on a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place? Now, spending money for an aftermarket system that sounds way better is a different story, and I fully agree with that.

Between this issue and JLR's poor customer service, this is my first and last Jag.

MagnumPI (04-25-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts

I see 3 other F Type's on a regular basis and no radio problems, all roadsters. Mine has had none.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:20 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
I completely agree with Lobster as the stereo is a rather simple fix. Though I have absolutely no issues with the stereo in my car on any mode (radio, satellite or ipod) I have an appointment for May 9th for the complete stereo overhaul to be done very similar to Lobster's set-up.

Lobster,

If this doesn't sound good I'm going to drive down to Atlanta and find you. LOL The only differences is you went with Alpine Type R sub and I went with JL Audio and you went with JL Audio amps and I went with Alpine PDX's.
LOL if it doesn't sound good come down to Atlanta and we'll go to my tuner! With a Bit One and those components your car should sing like you wouldn't believe!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I hope so and If it doesn't sound good then that's the plan. A ride down to Atlanta and to your tuner. We'll know soon enough.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Not sure this is statistically accurate, as much as someone saying there are probably many more bad ones than good ones. It is luck of the draw but to have a TSB reflects one fact. There are enough of them bad to warrant an action.
If 10% were "bad" that would be enough to warrant an action, but it's far from a majority. No one here has hard data, but I think it's safe to say that a majority of F-Type forum members have not reported Meridian problems. You'd expect to hear from those having problems.

Nonetheless, I'm in full agreement that JLR has not handled this well, and there is a QC problem they haven't resolved in 3 years. That is unacceptable.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-24-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:29 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
If 10% were "bad" that would be enough to warrant an action, but it's far from a majority. No one here has hard data, but I think it's safe to say that a majority of F-Type forum members have not reported Meridian problems. You'd expect to hear from those having problems.

Nonetheless, I'm in full agreement that JLR has not handled this well, and there is a QC problem they haven't resolved in 3 years. That is unacceptable.
We do have data. A year ago we ran a survey on this forum on this very subject and nearly 50% were dissatisfied. At the time, you said affected users were a tiny minority and this survey changed your view as I recall.

And since JLR are unable to properly log issues from their dealers - unless they go through a lengthy procedure to technical - we will never know for sure. JLR don't even really know.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mawheele
We do have data. A year ago we ran a survey on this forum on this very subject and nearly 50% were dissatisfied. At the time, you said affected users were a tiny minority and this survey changed your view as I recall.

And since JLR are unable to properly log issues from their dealers - unless they go through a lengthy procedure to technical - we will never know for sure. JLR don't even really know.
Yes, I recall, but didn't that 50% also include "it's OK not great" responses?

At any rate, an internet forum of owners is not a valid sample of owners. Only the most enthusiastic, vocal, opinionated, and picky owners tend to participate in car forums. At any given time I don't think more than 50-100 people participate here regularly. Perceptions of car audio system quality are also notoriously subjective and all over the map.

I don't think you could call that a valid statistical sample. However, I have repeatedly agreed that it's way more than it should be and JLR hasn't/is not handling the situation well. Even 10% of all cars built would be an unacceptably large number with problems. If it were more than 50% of manufactured cars, JLR would have a riot on it's hands.

One of the things I've noticed over the years is that very small cabin, 2-seater cars never seem to sound quite as good as vehicles w/ larger cabins. It's harder to obtain good acoustics in a very small space, but the vibration problem is another matter.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-25-2016 at 06:44 AM.
slojotaa (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

At any rate, an internet forum of owners is not a valid sample of owners. Only the most enthusiastic, vocal, opinionated, and picky owners tend to participate in car forums. At any given time I don't think more than 50-100 people participate here regularly. Perceptions of car audio system quality are also notoriously subjective and all over the map.

I don't think you could call that a valid statistical sample. However, I have repeatedly agreed that it's way more than it should be and JLR hasn't/is not handling the situation well. Even 10% of all cars built would be an unacceptably large number with problems. If it were more than 50% of manufactured cars, JLR would have a riot on it's hands.

"AMEN" brother....!!! Jaguar blew it on the F-Type Meridian's for too material a number of cars, and for a lot of folks, they have a right to be irritated. Funny how my Mercedes SL550 2009 sounded fantastic, not a rattle, or hum (sounds like a U2 song). Oh well, too bad, as the Meridian brand is very good!!! My XJ is awesome, but the F-Type......!!?!

Old 04-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

The problem with the stereo in my car is not subtle, even after the amp replacement. The CD player is better than the radio modes but vibration and rattles persist. The satellite radio can't be listened to as it is irritating. Meridian is not the low end of audio, although many higher end manufacturers jumped into the market. Does anyone know what came before Bowers and Wilkins in Jags?

Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default This is crazy !

Guys,
I just can't believe that my car being built as a 2017 model will go through the assembly line process and when it comes to installing the electrical & electronic components of the car stereo and speakers, Jaguar will knowingly install a defective stereo system into a $110,000 dollar car, knowing of the rattling problem and anything else related to the stereo not performing as it should. If this isn't a **** you attitude , then what is ?!?!?!?
Really ...

Dr.Chernobly (05-07-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Guys,
I just can't believe that my car being built as a 2017 model will go through the assembly line process and when it comes to installing the electrical & electronic components of the car stereo and speakers, Jaguar will knowingly install a defective stereo system into a $110,000 dollar car, knowing of the rattling problem and anything else related to the stereo not performing as it should. If this isn't a **** you attitude , then what is ?!?!?!?
Really ...
Good grief . . . really? Cancel your order immediately. This car is making you miserable, and you don't even have it yet.

I guess you missed the part where a lot of people don't have any problems w/ the audio system or anything else about the car. For the vast majority, this car has been pretty bullet-proof.

Spending too much time reading and thinking about accounts of car problems on internet forums can make you crazy. ;-)

Last edited by Foosh; 04-25-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts

Radio is the most complained topic on so many forums. If you want audiophile order base and do custom. Mass produced systems will never match up. The same Meridian system is in Range Rover and works just fine. These are little cars and don't provide the space to generate the sound the same system in an suv does. I'm curious if the vibrating speakers are a coupe problem. It took Maserati 2 years to figure out most of the fixes on it's $1500 upgrade, it's now acceptable but not more. They switched systems completely in'16, no more complaints. If Jag decides to change it will take a while!

Old 04-26-2016, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member

This not about audiophile quality. With an R model there is no base, you get the upper end model. I can't believe this a difficult problem to diagnose for a stereo technician. I believe I will get some further resolution from dealer or JLR. I could have a bad tuner or processing unit. It's interesting that service techs replaced the amp, but problem is better but didn't totally resolve totally. Does anyone have access to a diagram of the system components?

Last edited by jaguny; 04-26-2016 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question