F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual out the door price for a Base F Type V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Actual out the door price to purchase or lease a Base F Type V6

Just curious how much one can expect when negotiating for a V6 base model whether you lease or buy. Both are different I'm sure but I'm not sure what invoice is if a '16 base model stickers between $65k to 68k (options respective). How much can you really get one for before taxes, tags, etc? Actual numbers would be helpful if you have a base V6 and location may be a factor so I live in the DC area. A lot of other factors I'm sure go into this so it's really more a general question. Perhaps it's just easier if I ask what you bought yours at so when I'm serious I have some information. This would be my first Jag coming from Bimmer so I don't have much experience with them.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with your own experience.

Last edited by Sleestak; 09-30-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleestak
Just curious how much a discount one can actually expect when negotiating for a V6 base model. I'm not sure what invoice is but if a '16 base model stickers between $65k to 68k (options respective) how much can you really get it for before taxes, tags, etc? Actual numbers would be helpful if you have a base V6. Area may be a factor so I live in the DC area. A lot of factors I'm sure go into this so it's really more a general question.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Invoice is roughly 6% off MSRP, and there is no holdback on JLR vehicles, so typically the best you'll be able to get on a new model year is 4-6% off MSRP (with deeper discounts coming in the further into the new model year you get.) You can sometimes do better than that if they're in a big sales push and trying to make a quota or something, or if you have a great relationship with the dealer, but that is very situational.

If you're willing to consider a 2015 model year, you can get much deeper discounts... 10%+ in many cases. If you can find a new 2014 still on the floor, you can probably get 20% or more off MSRP... but there aren't too many of those still out there.

The following users liked this post:
Sleestak (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Invoice is roughly 6% off MSRP, and there is no holdback on JLR vehicles, so typically the best you'll be able to get on a new model year is 4-6% off MSRP (with deeper discounts coming in the further into the new model year you get.) You can sometimes do better than that if they're in a big sales push and trying to make a quota or something, or if you have a great relationship with the dealer, but that is very situational.

If you're willing to consider a 2015 model year, you can get much deeper discounts... 10%+ in many cases. If you can find a new 2014 still on the floor, you can probably get 20% or more off MSRP... but there aren't too many of those still out there.
That's very helpful! Many thanks.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I purchased a new Buick in July, and ordered a new F-Type in August (for December delivery). Here's some thoughts. Using NADA as a guide, it looks like JLR reduced the margin between the Invoice and MSRP price for the F-Type in 2016. For 2015, a base coupe had a markup of 8%, but the 2016 base coupe (automatic) only has a markup of 6.3%. Then there are the other fees that pop up as you do the deal. "Doc" (documentation) fees can vary from less than $100 to over $500. Dealers also want to pass through the county ad valorem taxes, which are usually small, but are not a tax levied against the buyer. When negotiating up from "invoice" you will also run into fees for advertising, training, prep, and delivery. And then there are the sales taxes and license and registration costs, which will vary by state. Good luck.

Sleestak (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by IRRBrogue
I purchased a new Buick in July, and ordered a new F-Type in August (for December delivery). Here's some thoughts. Using NADA as a guide, it looks like JLR reduced the margin between the Invoice and MSRP price for the F-Type in 2016. For 2015, a base coupe had a markup of 8%, but the 2016 base coupe (automatic) only has a markup of 6.3%. Then there are the other fees that pop up as you do the deal. "Doc" (documentation) fees can vary from less than $100 to over $500. Dealers also want to pass through the county ad valorem taxes, which are usually small, but are not a tax levied against the buyer. When negotiating up from "invoice" you will also run into fees for advertising, training, prep, and delivery. And then there are the sales taxes and license and registration costs, which will vary by state. Good luck.
Damn! All that right there sounds more appealing to buy preowned.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 PM

Well, some of those fees and taxes will hit you with a used one too, but you will save based on depreciation. I ordered new because I plan to keep the car a long time, and want specific color, and interior and options. I kept my Vette 15+ years.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

What Merlin told you above is very accurate for the DC-area market as well.

Pre-owned can be a good way to go, but you'll likely never really know the history of the car. It could have been lemon-lawed and allegedly "fixed," it could have been in a minor accident that was never reported, it could have been abused, or if you're really lucky, it's been pampered and just wasn't the previous owner's cup-of-tea.

I've had very good luck with pre-owned cars, but I've also had some notable nightmares.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

+1. Merlin nailed the available discounts in the DC area. Jag of West Columbia (MD) will currently give you 5% on a '16, more on a '15 if they still have any in stock.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I went to TrueCar and got 7.3% off MSRP on an F-type-S MT. Ordered it just like I wanted it. If the JCNA discount returns by the time I pick the car up in December, I'll get another $2500. I didn't have to negotiate at all.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 AM

That's a great price! What dealer?
Do you think the JCNA discount will come back in for the 2016s?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drbill
I went to TrueCar and got 7.3% off MSRP on an F-type-S MT. Ordered it just like I wanted it. If the JCNA discount returns by the time I pick the car up in December, I'll get another $2500. I didn't have to negotiate at all.
I recently looked at a base MT convertible with minimal options and received an offer at dealer invoice (5.5% off MSRP) without any negotiation. Generally speaking, there's more manuevering room on heavily optioned cars, as well as S&R models, so your deal was within the "reasonable" range. There is less room to negotiate on base, no option cars.

Right now my closest dealer is only ordering base F-Types because the GM's experience has been that they sell much faster.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-01-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by IRRBrogue
That's a great price! What dealer?
Do you think the JCNA discount will come back in for the 2016s?
Not sure about the JCNA discount. If you go to TrueCar and put in your zip, you will see who is closest. I ended up in Greenville, SC at the Jaguar, LR, Porsche, Volvo dealer.

IRRBrogue (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Right now my closest dealer is only ordering base F-Types because the GM's experience has been that they sell much faster...
Well the GM sounds like a genius because all I ever see is the one "ad" car and everything else is just loaded up to the hilt.

That's why I minimally ordered my car exactly like I wanted it and I think it'll still be very desirable when the lease expires if I decide to part with it...

Old 10-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Well the GM sounds like a genius because all I ever see is the one "ad" car and everything else is just loaded up to the hilt.

That's why I minimally ordered my car exactly like I wanted it and I think it'll still be very desirable when the lease expires if I decide to part with it...
Apparently. Base cars sell very quickly at his dealership, and rarely do they have more than 1-2 F-Types in stock, now almost always a base car.

When I took deliery 16 months ago, I bought his only base car, and at that time, he had 6-7 loaded 14 and 15 S and R models that had been on his lot for awhile. He also told me he'd love to have more base car allocations and that he could sell double or triple the number he's allowed to order.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:22 AM
Received 135 Likes on 109 Posts

Seven year old thread.