F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Adding Backup Camera

Anybody have any experience with this? It's the only thing I happened to overlook when purchasing a few months ago and I'm finding it pretty annoying that it wasn't included, given that I have most of the upgrades that were offered at the time.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

NAV-TV makes an add-on that will connect into the wiring harness. It will integrate into the existing NAV screen. $550 for the main unit & wiring, $150-ish for installation, plus forward and/or reverse cameras.

I was initially hot to get one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The nearest NAV outlet isn't that close to me and quoted a bit high on installation vs other places I've seen. It slowed me up enough that the weather turned warm and visibility improved dramatically (with the top down). Still on my list, though.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the NAV-TV installed and I am happy with it. I have the front and rear cameras. The guide lines do not "bend" as you back up but they give you the area that is safe around you.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ImNotFamousAnymore
Anybody have any experience with this? It's the only thing I happened to overlook when purchasing a few months ago and I'm finding it pretty annoying that it wasn't included, given that I have most of the upgrades that were offered at the time.
It is only included with the Vision package. Most folks consider that a required option, so I'm surprised your car didn't come with it.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
It is only included with the Vision package. Most folks consider that a required option, so I'm surprised your car didn't come with it.
LOL . . . I enjoy not being "most folks." Required, not.

It's funny, the rear camera is in my Jeep and my wife's C-300, but I forget to even look at them, since I'm looking in mirrors and out the rear.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

There was a guy on my Maserati site questioning whether to get one because the quality of the backup camera wasn't that good. What have we come to?

Old 09-14-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . I enjoy not being "most folks." Required, not.

It's funny, the rear camera is in my Jeep and my wife's C-300, but I forget to even look at them, since I'm looking in mirrors and out the rear.
Clearly there is really no such thing as required when it comes to options, as the car is just fine in the base trim. However I'm sure many F-Type owners would still prefer the extra options.

In any case, the Vision package includes a lot more than just the rear camera...
  • Adaptive headlights w/Cornering lamps
  • Intelligent high beams
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • Rear parking camera
  • Blindspot monitor
  • Reverse traffic detection
Of course, the base and S models bundle Premium+Vision, which also includes things like the automatic climate control, air filters/quality sensors, auto dimming mirrors, garage door opener, wind deflector (verts), power tailgate (coupes), and heated seats. The R models come with "premium" as part of the base config.

From what I'm told, Premium+Vision is standard on most dealer ordered V6S models, and Vision is standard on most dealer ordered R models, as that is what the customers want.

Not everyone likes every option, but from everything I've seen and read and what I've heard from dealers I spoke to, the Vision package is considered a must have option for most people who aren't Foosh.

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2015, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Just messing around, Merlin . . . actually they are very good safety devices, and I'm glad they'll be federally-mandated on all cars in a year or so. Hopefully, they'll save a lot of little kids from being run over by Mom and Dad.

I was more making fun of myself for having them in two of our cars and forgetting to even look at them after driving without for so many years. Hell, my motorcoach has 3 rear-facing cameras (one in each mirror, and one on the rear roof looking down), but, of course, it is 45 ft to the rear of the coach and there is no window.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:04 PM

Just messing around, Merlin . . . actually they are very good safety devices, and I'm glad they'll be federally-mandated on all cars in a year or so. Hopefully, they'll save a lot of little kids from being run over by Mom and Dad.
No worries... and I agree. I also appreciate the sensors as they help keep the car from scraping or getting dinged.

I was more making fun of myself for having them in two of our cars and forgetting to even look at them after driving without for so many years. Hell, my motorcoach has 3 rear-facing cameras (one in each mirror, and one on the rear roof looking down), but, of course, it is 45 ft to the rear of the coach and there is no window.
I cannot even imagine having to back up a huge motorcoach like yours without backup cameras. There is only so much the mirrors can tell you.

All our SUV's and most of our other vehicles have come standard with backup cameras for the last 10 years or so. Took me a bit to get used to them, but I always use them now and insure I have them on all my new cars. I may have just gotten a bit spoiled.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

the Vision package is considered a must have option for most people who aren't Foosh.
And me, I suppose

Old 09-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts
Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

I cannot even imagine having to back up a huge motorcoach like yours without backup cameras. There is only so much the mirrors can tell you.
Funny you should mention that. My state (and 22 or so others) requires a Class B, non-commercial license to drive any motorcoach over 26K GVWR, which all the diesel pushers are. My coach is 42K GVWR. The standard license is Class C. I had to pass a written test on airbrakes and all the other unique systems, as well as on the issues common to heavy vehicles, and then do a driving exam similar to what one has to do to earn a CDL.

The driving test requires backing down a narrow obstacle course, marked by cones, which includes turns. The state guidelines for this test require you to turn OFF the cameras if you have them, and do it with just the mirrors. One cone hit, and you fail. I didn't. It can be done with just mirrors.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The car has some big blind spots. It's kinda brave not to have the backup cameras.